Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser-FINISHED PICS!!!

Re: Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser

Pics from this past weekend...

Here are the nameplates included in the ParaGrafix PE set:

Photo-etch Name Plates by trekriffic, on Flickr

Paul gives you two of each. I only ended up using one of the SSC Leif Ericson plates.

The stand after spraying with Testors flat black enamel and sealing with Krylon Clear Satin acrylic spray. The nameplate was sprayed with Tamiya silver; the recessed lettering was painted with thinned Testors black enamel; the emblem is a decal cut from the kit decal sheet:

IMG_2487 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The ion engines aglow. I really like the look of the corrugated aluminum foil inside the shrouds:

Ion engines Aglow by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2426 by trekriffic, on Flickr

I know, I know, I still need to attach the PE engine grills front and back. Please don't shoot me... yet! ;)

The launch bay with lights on and the floor decal in place:

IMG_2635 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Running the fiber to each landing light around the edges was a pain but well worth the trouble I think.
I need to touch up the circle in the center with my mechanical pencil once I've sealed with Glosscote and sprayed with Dullcote.
Then I'll seal the pencil with Dullcote. There is a hole in the floor in the center of the circle with a short tube underneath the floor into which a brass wire inserted in the underside of the scout ship will slide. This will keep the scout ship from sliding around inside the bay.
There will also be two other mounting holes atop each tower at either end of the bay for inserting a longer wire when I want to display the scout ship in flight over the bay.

More to come...
as if I need to tell you guys that!

Last edited:

Great solution!!
I love your hanger bay lighting.
Paint job are splendid!!

More pics please!!

katsu

Great solution!!
I love your hanger bay lighting.
Paint job are splendid!!

More pics please!!

katsu

OK katsu. You twisted my arm...:lol

Some pics from yesterday evening...
After spraying the launch bay with Glosscote to seal the decals a shot of Dullcote was applied. Then I took an HB pencil and some Evergreen tubing-the same diameter as that penciled on center circle-and used the tubing as a guide to redraw the mssing section of the center circle. That did the trick. Afterward I sealed the pencil with another shot of Dullcote:

IMG_2616 by trekriffic, on Flickr

This morning I went back and gave the yellow/black decal in the center a good coat of Future. I want to protect the decal as much as possible from getting scratched when inserting the brass wire from the scout ship.

The sensor array I'd finished weeks ago was inserted over the bridge with the fiber strand facing back to the center forward facing LED:

Main Sensor Array Installed by trekriffic, on Flickr

Finished Bridge and Nose Detail by trekriffic, on Flickr

I used a rhinestone on top with tiny metal pins cropped and inserted around the edges. The round ports you see in the center of the angled facets
actually do light up when the ship is powered up.

Thanks for reading! Comments welcome as always!

Last edited:

Today's Update...

At lunch today, I finally got around to installing the engine shroud grills. Here are some pics with the lights turned on:

IMG_2520 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2505 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2524 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Here are a couple of pics of the wing mounted laser cannons. I got lucky and caught the red and green flashers when they were lit up too:

IMG_2516 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2519 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next post will show the launch bay with basketball goals installed!

Last edited:

Basketball goals!

Basketball Hoops by trekriffic, on Flickr

Hoops by trekriffic, on Flickr

If you look closely at the sidewall windows in the pic above you can see the silhouette of a crewman behind one of the windows.
I should have the crewmen playing two-on-two basketball (with one spectator) in their spacesuits for the next post.

Launch bay with scout ship:

Scout in Bay by trekriffic, on Flickr

Scout in Bay Low Light by trekriffic, on Flickr

The scout was sprayed with pearl like the Leif.
I didn't want the windows, nose panel, and hatch to be pearl so I brushed on some liquid masking fluid beforehand.
Once the pearl coat dried I sprayed with some Dullcote for a flat finish.

The bow phaser projector lit up:

IMG_2506 by trekriffic, on Flickr

After looking at this pic I did a little cleanup inside the phaser barrel with a rasp so it's nice and round in there now.

The Leif on her stand and ready for decals:

IMG_2571 by trekriffic, on Flickr

You can't see it in this pic but I glued a piece of black felt to the top of the stand to prevent scratching the underside of the ship.

Thanks for hanging in! We're almost there!

Last edited:

the "model" does nothing for me, but THIS is some thing to really stare at for a while, some dam fine work there sir !! very cool build (y)thumbsup

it's always amazing to me how some real talent can turn a model like this into some thing to behold...your making want this model :lol i have two closets full allready....eash!

Spent some more time on the scoutship yesterday. I wanted to jazz up the stern of the ship a little by adding engine bells so I took some 1/16" diameter aluminum tubing and cut off about a half inch length to fit in my dremel's chuck. Then I spun it while shaping it with my pointy scribing tool and needle file. I ended up with two 1/16" long or so tapered engine bells which I sawed off using my miter saw and glued on top of the original kit exhaust openings:

Scout Ship Engine Bells by trekriffic, on Flickr

Scout Ship Engine Bells by trekriffic, on Flickr

It's a nice little improvement don't you think?

Moving on...

The PE grills had some small gaps around their edges where I glued them to the shroud plastic so I filled them with AVES.
Once the AVES dries I brushed on some Tamiya silver leaf around the edges and let dry.

Decalling went well with some minor tweaks needed to get some of the stern decals to fit. I used Micro Set under the decals to snug them down followed by Micro SOL on top:

IMG_2668 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Stern Impulse Engines by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2561 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2543 by trekriffic, on Flickr

One nice thing was the uppermost decal on the stern had a squarish spot right in the middle that I could punch out and fit right over the red stern light in the top center of the stern plate.
Serendipity to be sure and it looks great IMO.
The wings got the "UNITED STATES" decals starboard side on top and port side on the bottom. The number "8121" can be seen fuzzily on the opposite wing surfaces top and bottom. I went with this number as an homage to Matt Jefferies who base born on 8-12-21.

I had to modify the red stripes framing the launch bay, shortening the ones front and back and using the excess to extend the stripes on the sides of the bay opening. Nothing I'm sure you guys haven't had to do from time to time.

Today I'll finish up the decalling and let dry overnight.
Then I'll seal the decals with Glosscote followed by a shot of Dullcote. Then I'll do a little weathering.
After that, more Dullcote to seal and, if it's too flat, I'll hit her with Krylon clear Matte spray which is more like a Testors satin finish to my eye.
Later on today or tomorrow I'll add the crew figures to the bay.
I'm thinking of using a clear water based craft glue made by Elmer's to glue their feet to the floor of the bay rather than CA.
Lastly, I'll dab the windows with Future to make them glossy again.
Then it'll be time for finished pics.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Today's pics...

Space hoops...

Cadet takes a foul shot playing half-court basketball in the open bay under the stars:

IMG_2553 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2550 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2551 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2552 by trekriffic, on Flickr

With VEGA scout ship:

IMG_2555 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2554 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The VEGA vacates the bay for departmental league games.
It has also, on occasion, rescued overzealous players who underestimated the strength of their jumps and left the bay entirely on overzealous dunk attempts! After three such incidents the Captain issued an order that "Space Jams" would only be allowed with the doors closed...

Last edited:

You know, I am a sculptor and people say to me how do you have the patience to do this work, but I have to say my hat is off to you sir, the amount of patience and fine detail work you put into this model is amazing, you have done a beautiful job on it. I definitely wish I had your patience, because I love making models, but to make them so beautifully is a definite skill. Awesome work.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back