AMT-ERTL Millennium Falcon build from Peru....

you know, I didn't mention this because I forgot doing it. you know also how there's a complaint about these kits appearing to be "too flat", the upper and lower not having the right curvature? The last one of these I did (the one I posted pics of) was a regular kit, but I used the HH Miniatures side wall set, much shorter than the stock pieces to be sure. I had seen where a guy on one of these thread, or elsewhere on-line, had mad a plastic "tube", if you will, for the center of the kit, just a bit larger than the opening for the turret pieces, and I believe he made it 6.2cm tall. He did some extensive cutting to the hull pieces, particularly at the seams between the hull and the docking collar corridors. I elected not to go that far, so I settled on 5.7cm. made it from a fairly thick sheet of Evergreen stock from the hobby shop. Anyway, what I did was, set all the short walls to the lower hull with laserbond ", the "as seen on TV" stuff, cause you can peel it back off. I set the walls, taped the tube I made to the center, places the upper hull in it's position with masking tape and thick rubber bands. Then I got the wife's hair dryer which has variable heat settings, and went over the whole thing progressively switching from top to bottom, back and forth. the upper and lower hull pieces gradually curved down, and up, to meet the walls evenly. then I let it cool and for the most part they stayed, making it easier to assemble and glue together. maintaining a fatter center and meeting the walls on the outer. There in giving it a more correct appearance and not so "flat" and making it not such a chore to install short walls. still not exact, but a lot better.
Just thought I'd throw that out there :thumbsup

Yeah, I saw that too, a guy who cut the saucer tubes, set a central tube... but I think his proyect ended in an fractured and teared apart falcon.
I thought about doing something similar, but I reached to a dead end with that: the only way to do that correctly, apart from the heat, is placing two inner bases, perpendicular to the vertical center tube (one for each upper and lower saucer) to maintain everything aligned, something impossible to do when you are working on the cutaway kit, and the chances of ended up with a falcon teared in pieces is high. I would rather not to mess with that :lol

Last edited:
I'd tend to agree, doing that procedure on a cut away would probably be impossible or at least an engineering nightmare. Don't know how hard it is to get those kits in Peru, but if you ever decide you want to do another one, give me a holler. I think I still have 2 more cut aways, and at least 5 regular ones, and a few of the regulars are the early ones in the stiffer box and the crisp casting. Heck, I'll never do all of them. I binge bought them on Ebay when the price was right thinking I'd build them to the 9's with lighting and sell them on Ebay. I did sell one early on, but lost my shirt on it after shipping and what Ebay takes as their cut! so, no more of that. I could also make you up a set of the upgrade parts to go with it...just a thought.
Yeah, I saw that too, a guy who cut the saucer tubes, set a central tube... but I think his proyect ended in an fractured and teared apart falcon.
I thought about doing something similar, but I reached to a dead end with that: the only way to do that correctly, apart from the heat, is placing two inner bases, perpendicular to the vertical center tube (one for each upper and lower saucer) to maintain everything aligned, something impossible to do when you are working on the cutaway kit, and the chances of ended up with a falcon teared in pieces is high. I would rather no to mess with that :lol

AMTs or MPCs kits are just impossible to find in stores around here nowadays, mid to late 90's you could find them in almost any hobby store. I got mine from ebay around 2002 at a very reasonable price (US$ 12) it was funny because I had been following several ROTJ versions that ended about $40 and then this one appeared with a price so low (maybe because the box were open or because the ROTJ kit could be considered vintage), I grabbed it at once. I saw the current prices now, I feel so lucky :lol. Currently the only chance to get one of them here is ebay. I don't know if I would have time for another build like this in the near future, but who knows :ninja.

No problem, just thought I'd throw it out there. the first one I had I bought like 20 yrs ago, found it in a shop for like 20 bucks. I've taken like 4 to my local shop for him to sell, he's been getting 55 for regulars, and 65 for cut aways! but he takes 30%. I saved the rest because they were better quality early releases. I used my store credit and 125 bucks with him for a Bandai PG Falcon. Worked out huh? I think most of the ones I have were anywhere from 25 to 35 bucks on Ebay...I just got too many of em' :lol oh well, perhaps someday they'll be worth something to somebody, or if they sit too long I'll let him sell those also :confused
AMTs or MPCs kits are just impossible to find in stores around here nowadays, mid to late 90's you could find them in almost any hobby store. I got mine from ebay around 2002 at a very reasonable price (US$ 12) it was funny because I had been following several ROTJ versions that ended about $40 and then this one appeared with a price so low (maybe because the box were open or because the ROTJ kit could be considered vintage), I grabbed it at once. I saw the current prices now, I feel so lucky :lol. Currently the only chance to get one of them here is ebay. I don't know if I would have time for another build like this in the near future, but who knows :ninja.

How are you or others handling the gun well and that rear wall of the cargo bay? That's a huge design flaw in how they laid out this kit.

I'm quite sure, as I'm certain you are as well...the whole "cut away" thing was someone in marketing that thought they had a great idea...then tossed it to some idgit in engineering to "throw" together. From the git-go this kit has been a flaw monster. I don't think anything can be done with the turret well or the wall without a major scratch and re-engineering of the entire area. I've got a closet full of these, 5 or 6 regulars and a couple cut aways. I've also made molds to duplicate just about every upgrade part there is for these, which can really save one of these from being a complete disaster. lots of aftermarket for the outward appearance, but I've been to a lot of sites and I don't think I've ever seen any correction parts for the cut away interior. like you, I'd really like to see one that someone took up the task, what they did and how it looks. Foe myself, I did one cut away with short walls and fiber optics GALORE, nightmare. I'd have to be pretty bored with everything else I the pipe to attempt it. However, if you run across something that someone took the time to do, I'd be really interested to see it as well :thumbsup
How are you or others handling the gun well and that rear wall of the cargo bay? That's a huge design flaw in how they laid out this kit.

The interiors redesign is in my plans too, now I have room for gun wells:

DSC_2731.jpg

Looks like imgbb.com deleted my account due "copyright violation" (Is Disney pursuing websites for hosting oics of our model kits? :unsure) well... I need another hosting site, which one could be better?

They deleted your pictures for copyright violation? Wow I do not know if I should be mad for you or impressed that your model was great enough that they thought it was the real thing....They should be happy people are enjoying it.
Hope you get it back up soon man. You did a great job on that model.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back