X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

I'm also going to attempt to use one of the MPC Chewy figures, and bend the arms and legs, and install a flicker LED in the mandible maintenance well...Chewy welding. Not sure if that idea is going to pan out but I'm gonna give it a go.

looking at the last image, and I've been fanning it so far with the other figures...I guess I'm gonna HAVE to figure out something for those goggles all these guys are wearing :facepalm

Hey Ross ,

If you’re after a welding effect led kit , check out ‘ Evan Designs ‘ ... they’re a Model train outfit in the US. There’s a pretty cool short video of it on their website .
That Tauntaun piece looks good , how many are you planning to add , and will you have them in a separate corral like in the film ?
Rebel soldiers are coming along great too ! Re; goggles - if the hats are cream / off-white in colour , couldn’t you get away with just penning/ painting them on in black at that scale ?

:cheersGed

Last edited:
hey there Ged! I haven't seen that on Modeltrains, but I have bought quite a few of the tiny chip, nano and pico LED's from them, as well as the remote kits. I picked that up from Robiwon in the beginning of the ISD build. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.
I was thinking I need at least 2 or 3 more tauns. Seems like I recall the pen was in the back of the hangar to the right rear of the Falcon's tail. I'll have to search images to get that correct. I also thought if I molded more tauns I could take 1 or 2 and cut the rider off, just for the sake of variety. [
As far as the goggles, the German field caps look smaller than the ones the rebels wear, but the same style. given the smaller size of these caps, I think I'm going to have to make some. Shouldn't be too awful to do, I made hat bills for a few of the other ones who were wearing wedge caps. probably can get away with just cutting the small shapes out of thin evergreen like the hat bills and bending it slightly. I was just being lazy I reckon QUOTE=gedmac66;4462968]Hey Ross ,

If you’re after a welding effect led kit , check out ‘ Evan Designs ‘ ... they’re a Model train outfit in the US. There’s a pretty cool short video of it on their website .
That Tauntaun piece looks good , how many are you planning to add , and will you have them in a separate corral like in the film ?
Rebel soldiers are coming along great too ! Re; goggles - if the hats are cream / off-white in colour , couldn’t you get away with just penning/ painting them on in black at that scale ?

:cheersGed[/QUOTE]

Hi there you ;) you have been busy on the forum.
Pfffff.... taking for ever to read it all....lol

I have been busy as well only always forget to upload my progress.
My falcon build is almost done and it's f#@!!** Awesome I think.
Also working on other projects at the same time and as we speed I'm building a light up r2 and c3 in a diorama ;)

But how is your docking bay going?

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

Well hello there stranger! nice of you to drop by :lol
The hangar is coming along nicely, it's just the more I go, the more stuff I realize I need in it. At this point it might be into the fall before I get to my PG, which will be the final and crowning piece. I thought about using my MPC but it's already wired with batteries and I'm doing this whole thing off of wall socket. Waiting is ok though, I don't want to start it till Tony 308 Bits gets the ESB extra landing gear stuff designed for it. I just messaged him today, he hasn't forgotten, just busy as a cat in a sandbox.
I'm sure everyone would love to see your Falcon, are you taking part in the thread that's going for PG birds? if not, load some pics here, it's all Star Wars, and its all good:thumbsup
Seems like my Xwing build morphed into a monster project, huh? :wacko
Hi there you ;) you have been busy on the forum.
Pfffff.... taking for ever to read it all....lol

I have been busy as well only always forget to upload my progress.
My falcon build is almost done and it's f#@!!** Awesome I think.
Also working on other projects at the same time and as we speed I'm building a light up r2 and c3 in a diorama ;)

But how is your docking bay going?

UOTE=whb64;4462816]Ross how tall/wide is your gantry?[/QUOTE]

Bill, ok...the one I scratched is 5 1/2 inches base and 2 3/8 floor to top of railing
the Shapeways is 5 1/8 base and 2 5/16 floor to top of the rail.
So what are you up to now?

gt350pony66 said:
Bill, ok...the one I scratched is 5 1/2 inches base and 2 3/8 floor to top of railing
the Shapeways is 5 1/8 base and 2 5/16 floor to top of the rail.
So what are you up to now?
Not up to anything, just trying to scale these gantries. I test printed a couple (there are 3 versions) just to see what they look like and the size. Well... they look great... size... I think these were for 1/144 scale. But hey... these mini gantries look pretty good by the Vipers, Starfighter and Snowspeeders lol. I'm printing a bigger one now, but the build plate when printing flat on the plate is 4.5", I can probably flip it on end, but the supports would be crazy.

O man I wish it was the PG falcon. It's the 1:144 from bandai. But de extreem detailed lightning and painting has taken a hell of a lot of time.

Btw. If you want to use your falcon on normal power changing it is ready l ready you probably use like 5v battery? Use a old phone charger most of the times they are 5v or order one in China they are no more then 2 Euro. Easy fix to get rid of your battery's

Here are some of the pics.
But it's not fully finished.
Well hello there stranger! nice of you to drop by [emoji38]
The hangar is coming along nicely, it's just the more I go, the more stuff I realize I need in it. At this point it might be into the fall before I get to my PG, which will be the final and crowning piece. I thought about using my MPC but it's already wired with batteries and I'm doing this whole thing off of wall socket. Waiting is ok though, I don't want to start it till Tony 308 Bits gets the ESB extra landing gear stuff designed for it. I just messaged him today, he hasn't forgotten, just busy as a cat in a sandbox.
I'm sure everyone would love to see your Falcon, are you taking part in the thread that's going for PG birds? if not, load some pics here, it's all Star Wars, and its all good:thumbsup
Seems like my Xwing build morphed into a monster project, huh? :wacko
3f4b9793b5172c8acd6bd58b9a532c17.jpg
b064a3fdbadb58316c938f4687e8fae9.jpg
37f31aba9b9e7a4d9904ea8bf13ee2ee.jpg
f9465394f9c92a4b37f59bd9c4b6dfbe.jpg
d6c42f1661853fa755af733a6b21d96c.jpg
65249171f27cbb65c4608ff14e2ffd68.jpg
a1c9106b0310dc36f4d64340e07cb7b8.jpg

e090def7c2cea7e6ed57d8523f8c5bc3.jpg
9773fed7a1bd57e6b0e5abe1ced0e1ad.jpg

Last edited:
man that looks super nice! :thumbsup you sir have done a fantastic job with that, well done and time well spent. 1/144 with that level of detail, not to mention the incredible lighting...consider me very impressed. not so surprised though because I've seen what you can do before and you don't disappoint my friend. :thumbsup I guess I hadn't thought that far ahead for the PG build, but I'm gonna borrow your method of running the wires through the landing gear, that's pretty clever :thumbsup I'd like to think that I would have thought to do that, but...:lol
O man I wish it was the PG falcon. It's the 1:144 from bandai. But de extreem detailed lightning and painting has taken a hell of a lot of time.

Btw. If you want to use your falcon on normal power changing it is ready l ready you probably use like 5v battery? Use a old phone charger most of the times they are 5v or order one in China they are no more then 2 Euro. Easy fix to get rid of your battery's

Here are some of the pics.
But it's not fully finished.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/3f4b9793b5172c8acd6bd58b9a532c17.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/b064a3fdbadb58316c938f4687e8fae9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/37f31aba9b9e7a4d9904ea8bf13ee2ee.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/f9465394f9c92a4b37f59bd9c4b6dfbe.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/d6c42f1661853fa755af733a6b21d96c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/65249171f27cbb65c4608ff14e2ffd68.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/a1c9106b0310dc36f4d64340e07cb7b8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/e090def7c2cea7e6ed57d8523f8c5bc3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/9773fed7a1bd57e6b0e5abe1ced0e1ad.jpg

man that looks super nice! :thumbsup you sir have done a fantastic job with that, well done and time well spent. 1/144 with that level of detail, not to mention the incredible lighting...consider me very impressed. not so surprised though because I've seen what you can do before and you don't disappoint my friend. :thumbsup I guess I hadn't thought that far ahead for the PG build, but I'm gonna borrow your method of running the wires through the landing gear, that's pretty clever :thumbsup I'd like to think that I would have thought to do that, but...[emoji38]
The painting and weathering is done for like 70% but I was waiting for the 3d printed dish and vents I got them now :)

I know your a treu lighting freack that's why I showed the pics. Only know you need extremely thin wires.
daaf80d818e60d894b0829451357faf6.jpg
ac26bcd7bea5d4f776753857be3bea4a.jpg

yes sir, I acquired some super thin stuff from Modeltrainsoftware.com not long ago, I forget what gage it is but it enabled me to take lighting to places I had previously thought not possible. Now I can look at something and say, yep, I can do that :thumbsup and not to mention the chip, nano and especially pico LED's. That's how I managed the landing gear lights on the 1/72 Xwing we were talking about not long ago. Which of course led to the whole diorama idea. I gotta figure out how to re-name this thread :lol Don't be a stranger dude, love your work ,and I pick up great ideas from you :thumbsup
The painting and weathering is done for like 70% but I was waiting for the 3d printed dish and vents I got them now :)

I know your a treu lighting freack that's why I showed the pics. Only know you need extremely thin wires.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/daaf80d818e60d894b0829451357faf6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/ac26bcd7bea5d4f776753857be3bea4a.jpg

yes sir, I acquired some super thin stuff from Modeltrainsoftware.com not long ago, I forget what gage it is but it enabled me to take lighting to places I had previously thought not possible. Now I can look at something and say, yep, I can do that :thumbsup and not to mention the chip, nano and especially pico LED's. That's how I managed the landing gear lights on the 1/72 Xwing we were talking about not long ago. Which of course led to the whole diorama idea. I gotta figure out how to re-name this thread [emoji38] Don't be a stranger dude, love your work ,and I pick up great ideas from you :thumbsup
I'm truly happy with the idea I helped some people here (people who are in a lot of cases much more experienced then me as I just started this hobby).

Btw.
Done other tip... If a wire doesn't fit... Try copper tape ;) trust me this even makes even more possible.

And you could star a new post. I'll follow it ;)
I have a problem with my social consistently... Bit authistic ;)
cfe24f4bcf882595fae676346fa705f6.jpg

Copper tape!...again, something I would not have thought of, awesome idea! :thumbsup Well more experience, or less, you know your stuff my friend:thumbsup
I'm truly happy with the idea I helped some people here (people who are in a lot of cases much more experienced then me as I just started this hobby).

Btw.
Done other tip... If a wire doesn't fit... Try copper tape ;) trust me this even makes even more possible.

I have a problem with my social consistently... Bit authistic ;) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/cfe24f4bcf882595fae676346fa705f6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, hadn't thought of that either, start a new thread...I could always post the 411 at the end of this one :thumbsup

ok bros...I've started another thread for this project, "1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama". More appropriate name for what it is. perhaps it will attract more of our fellows here to jump in with us. Obviously not much there just yet but it'll take wing shortly.

Btw.

I have a problem with my social consistently... Bit authistic ;) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/cfe24f4bcf882595fae676346fa705f6.jpg

I'm a big fan of the copper tape too. I get mine from a guitar supply company and they have it is widths from very thin to very wide. Like you said it allows you to run power to places that normally are either impossible or require major cutting and trenching, and then you have to putty that all up and make it look nice! Not with the taoe!

I used it for my Viper cannons where the wings are a bit thin to run wires. They probably would have fit but the copper tape made it so much easier!

20171009_023006.jpg

I'll also be using it on the big problem area most people hate dealing with on the 1701-D builds- running power to the nacelles! With the tape you can just run it along the edge or up the pylon and blend it in. After paint it would be barely noticeable if at all. Great stuff!

I also have some electrically conductive paint, but I haven't tried that yet.

you guys are some crafty devils you know that :thumbsup
I'm a big fan of the copper tape too. I get mine from a guitar supply company and they have it is widths from very thin to very wide. Like you said it allows you to run power to places that normally are either impossible or require major cutting and trenching, and then you have to putty that all up and make it look nice! Not with the taoe!

I used it for my Viper cannons where the wings are a bit thin to run wires. They probably would have fit but the copper tape made it so much easier!

View attachment 817840

I'll also be using it on the big problem area most people hate dealing with on the 1701-D builds- running power to the nacelles! With the tape you can just run it along the edge or up the pylon and blend it in. After paint it would be barely noticeable if at all. Great stuff!

Cool yes that exactly that I mean how to use the copper tape.
Well done! :) Good to see more creative and inovative minds get to the same idea.
About the electrically conductive paint yes I have heard of that.. never seen where I could buy it. You know the amount after current it can take?

That's a amazing solution! If you have tried it please let me know and what's the name of the paint you got? I'll try and see if I can find it somewhere here in the Netherlands.

View attachment 817840

Guys , regarding the copper tape in lieu of wiring . This concept is completely new to me , thanks for sharing it .
I’ve got a few questions on it’s use , so if I can get some clarification on this I’d really appreciate it .
Is it only used with battery sourced power - due to the voltage ? ,
Could it be used with a wall adapter (9 - 12V) ? ,
Are there any safety issues regarding ( lack of ?) insulation around the tape itself or overheating ? Can you get an electric shock if touched ?:facepalm

Apologies in advance if these questions have already been asked/ answered elsewhere , but I’d rather ask them here from people who’ve experience with this alternative product firsthand already , and specifically used in the realm of modelling .

:cheersGed

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back