Diamond Select BTTF Flux Capacitor replica - any good?

Has anyone purchased the Diamond Select version and repainted it? Can it be taken fully apart and repainted the proper battleship grey? I want to buy this version, but only if it can be taken completely apart for repaint. thanks
I repainted/upgraded a Diamond Select a couple years ago. Most comes apart without a problem, but the horribly inaccurate elbow on the top is glued on and needs a lot of effort to get off.
dead14ac7045b8d486b0ae230c9492f7.jpg
973ea7239b9e911c1ad9e3406716b6c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I repainted/upgraded a Diamond Select a couple years ago. Most comes apart without a problem, but the horribly inaccurate elbow on the top is glued on and needs a lot of effort to get off.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180104/dead14ac7045b8d486b0ae230c9492f7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180104/973ea7239b9e911c1ad9e3406716b6c2.jpg

How hard is it to take the rubber gasket around the window off and on. and did you redo the dymo label. thanks a lot man. awesome pics

It's a bit of a pain in the ass, I think I pushed it out from the outside in.

dr_slurpee when you did your repaint, what type of finish did you go for - flat or glossy? I'm gonna take on the repaint/upgrade this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
The paint I had that seemed like a good match in colour was glossy, but something a bit more satin would be more accurate. Or use gloss and dull it back once dry with a scotchbrite pad.

Hey, you used a good shade of grey for your Flux Capacitor. Your build looks nice. If you want to upgrade it further you could probably find a template of the original Flux Capacitor online or by asking in a FB group and some thicker gasket.

Satin - Semi Gloss is the correct sheen for the original grey that was used back in the factory, I have a sheet of the original colour. I did some work on the restoration of the A Car and my eyes still hurt from looking at a lot of photos of Time Machine interiors.

Hey, you used a good shade of grey for your Flux Capacitor. Your build looks nice. If you want to upgrade it further you could probably find a template of the original Flux Capacitor online or by asking in a FB group and some thicker gasket.

Satin - Semi Gloss is the correct sheen for the original grey that was used back in the factory, I have a sheet of the original colour. I did some work on the restoration of the A Car and my eyes still hurt from looking at a lot of photos of Time Machine interiors.

Thanks for the info. I read on another thread from Gary Weaver II that he recommended battleship grey. Does that sound similar to the A Car flux color?

How hard is it to take the rubber gasket around the window off and on. and did you redo the dymo label. thanks a lot man. awesome pics

I don't know if my model was a later batch, but it was really easy to get the gasket off and the elbow wasn't glued on, just attached with screws. In fact the whole thing was easy to take apart (given my skill level, or lack thereof).

Progress so far (it was finally warm enough to paint in LA):

IMG_1545.jpg IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg IMG_2485.jpg IMG_2520.jpg

Finally finished my flux! I'm really happy with it. It was a tad challenging with my skill set, but all pretty straight forward. The soundboard and light kit is really awesome.

My flux isn't 100% screen accurate. The kit came with a wider acrylic window and rubber gasket but I didn't feel like cutting into the cover. The new back panel was a little tight so it scratched some paint off when I slid it into place, but you can't see the scratches once the cover is closed.

Here's my first test rifling through the different fx on the remote. I'm going to hang onto the wall eventually.

Finally finished my flux! I'm really happy with it. It was a tad challenging with my skill set, but all pretty straight forward. The soundboard and light kit is really awesome.

My flux isn't 100% screen accurate. The kit came with a wider acrylic window and rubber gasket but I didn't feel like cutting into the cover. The new back panel was a little tight so it scratched some paint off when I slid it into place, but you can't see the scratches once the cover is closed.

Here's my first test rifling through the different fx on the remote. I'm going to hang onto the wall eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKB9f2DylVs

great stuff! It’s got some really good fxs on it! Good job :)

I think you can really make these look great with a little work. It's definitely not 100% screen accurate by any means, but for $160 shipped on amazon you can't beat it.

- Stripped, sanded and repainted case - $5 - can of spray paint and time
- Replaced top elbow and added side elbow - $10 - found side elbow on eBay & top elbow at Lowes
- Replaced rubber gasket (Had to trim window down a bit to fit) - $5
- Replaced labels - (Had label maker already)
- Used arduino from an old project for main lights but also added LED strip around interior wall - $6
- Added a cheap LED music controller & speaker (Sound fx trigger interior wall LED's) - $20

$200 total

Getting this signed by the cast at FanExpo CA at the end of the month woo hoo!

flux.png

I think you can really make these look great with a little work. It's definitely not 100% screen accurate by any means, but for $160 shipped on amazon you can't beat it.

- Stripped, sanded and repainted case - $5 - can of spray paint and time
- Replaced top elbow and added side elbow - $10 - found side elbow on eBay & top elbow at Lowes
- Replaced rubber gasket (Had to trim window down a bit to fit) - $5
- Replaced labels - (Had label maker already)
- Used arduino from an old project for main lights but also added LED strip around interior wall - $6
- Added a cheap LED music controller & speaker (Sound fx trigger interior wall LED's) - $20

$200 total

Getting this signed by the cast at FanExpo CA at the end of the month woo hoo!

View attachment 837498

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kn7iAmj7yg

How did you get it for $160 on Amazon? I’ve only seen it for $500 and up on there and eBay.

Yeah it's definitely gone up alot - I bought it back in April for $160 on prime - I have no idea why it was so cheap. I also just picked up the Mr. Fusion on prime for $179 so keep an eye out they do pop up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back