Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

The Producers thought that there was a big geek audience who would go see this as well as attract others who were not.

It did'nt.

For all my young friends this movie was not even a blip on their radar, they had not even seen the original and those that did were bored by it.

It would seem the big "Cult" following Bladerunner has is really not that big at all

Why didnt this movie make all the money?

The Producers thought that there was a big geek audience who would go see this as well as attract others who were not.

It did'nt.

For all my young friends this movie was not even a blip on their radar, they had not even seen the original and those that did were bored by it.

It would seem the big "Cult" following Bladerunner has is really not that big at all
@Bryancd I guess you nailed it. I do think the runtime had something to do with it, cause I know how ADD people are now and cant sit still for longer than 90 minutes. Cause thematically it wasnt confusing or anything, it flowed well, and let you think about the scene and the impact it had on the characters. Well your young friends are squares then :lol Either that or the following is all the hermits that dont go to the movies and will wait for it to come out on demand. Still bums me out though.

They are hip they just could care less about Blade Runner or Star Trek, which burns me up to no end, They all love Star Wars though.

As far as 2049 being a long movie and turning off the young crowd, nonsense look at the run times of the Lord Of The Rings Triology, Lord Of The Rings clocked in at 3 hrs 48 min, Two Towers, 179 min, Return of The Kings, 201 min.

Some of these same people Marathon that series and laugh at the "Old Man" when i tell them they are crazy! :lol

Blade Runner was always a polarizing movie that you either love or hate and as I posted earlier the fanbase is thought to be much larger than it is.

it will be interesting to see what the Digital Blu sales are on it

@Bryancd I guess you nailed it. I do think the runtime had something to do with it, cause I know how ADD people are now and cant sit still for longer than 90 minutes. Cause thematically it wasnt confusing or anything, it flowed well, and let you think about the scene and the impact it had on the characters. Well your young friends are squares then :lol Either that or the following is all the hermits that dont go to the movies and will wait for it to come out on demand. Still bums me out though.

It's funny my 10 year old son watched it twice with me and loved it. He can't wait for the Blu ray and also wants Deckards gun. If I told him I saw it again on Sunday with his Grandfather he would kill me. ;)

Ben

They are hip they just could care less about Blade Runner or Star Trek, which burns me up to no end, They all love Star Wars though.

As far as 2049 being a long movie and turning off the young crowd, nonsense look at the run times of the Lord Of The Rings Triology, Lord Of The Rings clocked in at 3 hrs 48 min, Two Towers, 179 min, Return of The Kings, 201 min.

Some of these same people Marathon that series and laugh at the "Old Man" when i tell them they are crazy! :lol

Blade Runner was always a polarizing movie that you either love or hate and as I posted earlier the fanbase is thought to be much larger than it is.

it will be interesting to see what the Digital Blu sales are on it
Dude there is no way the theatrical cut of Fellowship of the Ring was 3 hours and 48 mins! :lol

My mistake I was looking at the blu-ray extended, the film release clocked in at 178 minutes which STILL is even longer than 2049 which is 164.

So there you go there ARE some films that the so called "ADD people" can and DO sit through just was'nt this particular film and the box office reflects that

Dude there is no way the theatrical cut of Fellowship of the Ring was 3 hours and 48 mins! :lol

It's funny my 10 year old son watched it twice with me and loved it. He can't wait for the Blu ray and also wants Deckards gun. If I told him I saw it again on Sunday with his Grandfather he would kill me. ;)
Ben

Did he enjoy the scene where the woman gets gutted like a fish?

My mistake I was looking at the blu-ray extended, the film release clocked in at 178 minutes which STILL is even longer than 2049 which is 164.

So there you go there ARE some films that the so called "ADD people" can and DO sit through just was'nt this particular film and the box office reflects that
Yeah but that was almost a whole generation ago.
Clutch Gutted like a fish? Thats a bit dramatic dont you think? Did they show her guts spill out and I missed it? Cause usually when I gut fish, ya know, there are guts and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generation ago?!

C'mon Man it has not been THAT long :lol

It baffles the hell out of me why they would sit through those movies and not 2049 but there it is.

As was the original so is the box office for 2049

Yeah but that was almost a whole generation ago.

Did he enjoy the scene where the woman gets gutted like a fish?

It doesn't actually show it happening but I'm not about to wrap my kid up in cotton wool so he's a little snowflake if that's what you mean. I saw worse when I was a kid. Kids see way worse these days just by watching the 6'oclock news stories. I watched the original when I was younger than him in the 80's.

Ben

Generation ago?!

It baffles the hell out of me why they would sit through those movies and not 2049 but there it is.

As was the original so is the box office for 2049
I said almost. ;)
gizmo Rock on man. Hell I saw the original Robocop when I was 5! :cool

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't actually show it happening but I'm not about to wrap my kid up in cotton wool so he's a little snowflake if that's what you mean. I saw worse when I was a kid. Kids see way worse these days just by watching the 6'oclock news stories. I watched the original when I was younger than him in the 80's.

Ben

"You've done a man's job, sir!"

I agree wholeheartedly. I have friends that don't let their kids see anything mildly violent, and they're straight up weird. However, I also understand that is their parents decision to make.

"You've done a man's job, sir!"

I agree wholeheartedly. I have friends that don't let their kids see anything mildly violent, and they're straight up weird. However, I also understand that is their parents decision to make.

My daughter used to have a real problem with on screen violence or tension. I've tended to keep some movies from her because those things really upset her. Fortunately at 8, she seems to be growing out of this phase. I think reading more advanced stories has helped, like Harry Potter and the Warriors. (While I haven't read the Warriors books, she makes it sound like GoT with feral cats) I'm looking forward to expanding her film repertoire with more PG/PG-13 stuff now. We just need to work around my 4 year old's schedule to make that happen.

Although, I'm still waiting for her to just be quiet and pay attention to the movie; instead of continually asking me what's happening on a 30 second lag time...

Generation ago?!

Easily half a generation, at any rate.FotR came out 16 years ago. The "young crowd" that was young when those were in theaters are no longer quite so young, and the "young crowd" today is young enough they likely didn't see those movies in theaters, unless they were like me with Star Wars and their parents took them when they were too young to register much.

Depends on your definition of "Young" and "Generation"

Anyone under 40 is young to me, I have friends ranging in age from 15 to 40 with the majority of them in their mid 20's to mid 30's

All in their 20's could care less about Blade Runner, those in their 30's most have seen the original but could care less about it OR 2049

Easily half a generation, at any rate.FotR came out 16 years ago. The "young crowd" that was young when those were in theaters are no longer quite so young, and the "young crowd" today is young enough they likely didn't see those movies in theaters, unless they were like me with Star Wars and their parents took them when they were too young to register much.

I'm probably what most of you would consider to be in the "young" group, but am a huge fan of Blade Runner. However, when I watched the first a few years ago I didn't like it at all. I thought it was weird and boring and I almost fell asleep half way through. Given a couple more years of interest in film, watching a lot of good/decent movies, and watching many video essays analyzing films, I finally began to see the beauty in it.

When 2049 came out, I was really excited to see what Villeneuve would do with the franchise. Unfortunately none of my best friends had even heard of Blade Runner, so I introduced the original to one of them who loves movies (especially Star Wars and war films), hoping that he'd love it and would go see 2049 with me. He didn't like it much, so I ended up going alone.

I do have one friend who's super critical of movies, much more than I am. He hates most of the movies I love (i.e. the MCU films), but he loves, Blade Runner. He hasn't had a chance to see 2049 yet, but I can't wait to see what he thinks.

I also introduced it to my older brother right before 2049 came out, since he thought 2049 looked awesome. He watched the first half of the original a few weeks ago, but never got around to finishing it. We're going to watch it together next week while we're home for Thanksgiving.

It really bums me out that most people my age have never heard of/just don't get and/or care about Blade Runner and films similar to it. I understand that it's a pretty small, strange cult-classic sci-fi film from the 80s, but it's just so brilliant that I wish more films these days were as good. I think 2049 is just as great as the original, but I only know one person who saw it. I definitely think that people are so used to the pacing and action of today's films that they can't see past BR's slow burn and see the genius. But hey, even I hated it at first.

I guess on the upside, it's sort of a secret special film to me. It's probably better fewer of us have seen it and love it for all of it's glory than everyone having seen it and hating it because "they thought it was boring."

It's not completely a generational problem.

When I first watched Blade Runner at the Bridge Theater in San Francisco I was blown away but most people I knew (and a lot of critics) thought the film was boring even back then. I thought everybody around me was completely nuts that they couldn't also see that Blade Runner was destined to be a classic.

Although, I'm still waiting for her to just be quiet and pay attention to the movie; instead of continually asking me what's happening on a 30 second lag time...
Huh, I have ADULT friends who do that. Drives me crazy.
And not just asking what just happened, asking what WILL happen, or asking for context the movie is going to give later.

SHADDAP AND LET THE MOVIE TELL YOU THE STORY

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back