The Official Cosplaysky's Civil War Captain America Costume

Bit by bit, it's getting done.

I did what I postulated, and went at the fabric with a jug of acetone and a scrubby for pots. Made enough difference for me to rec it to anyone who gets the costume and hates the finish.

Left side in both pics - untreated, right side after scrubbing with the acetone. Took some time since it had to be done by hand, but it worked.

30045335375_a145db8075_n.jpg
30011182066_639ccdc280_n.jpg
29931469142_ce847f0fe3_n.jpg

I tore off the lining and all the sponge detailing from the back flap and replaced the sponge with more felt detailing. I also used some iron-on buckram for the section that curves over the shoulders so it would lie smoothly. I re-lining with some blue twill, attached the Velcro fastenings to the tabs and the vest and that was done.

29418233823_2228ab33ac_n.jpg
29418234643_4baf9b5a37_n.jpg

The harness they sent was MASSIVE, just huge. I debated briefly whether to make a new one, but decided I'd rather not spend the time on it at this point - ditto the belt. I printed and tested SMP Design's harness for size to see how it would work. From there, I saw that I could cut the Cosplaysky harness straps under the arms and attach plastic buckles painted silver. One strap threaded through a buckle was left long and folds back to be fastened with Velcro, in case I need to loosen or tighten the harness' fit.
29417352774_54e2e889e1_n.jpg

I also removed the stitching attaching the straps to the back piece and just glued them instead, which looks more clean.
30011182876_c29bddaeec_n.jpg

Again, I debated whether I wanted to replace the silver slider on the front of the harness but again, didn't feel like bothering to either shop for one or try to cast one myself. I did rip some stitches out on the brown strap fabric and move the buckles up to a better position and handstitched everything in place again.

30045334605_50e5b3fec2_n.jpg

Next - molding and casting some of the silver pieces that finish the vest, belt and harness in plastic, painting and attaching them. Resize the belt, attach Velcro to the pouches and add more velcro behind to attach it to the vest bottom. Also - fixing the gaiters so they don't slump anymore, and attaching the headliner foam into the vest with extra eva foam behind the star.

Going forward - since I was keeping the Cosplaysky belt, it need to be taken in at the front buckle, which I did by ripping out the stitches and glueing the fold down. The belt also was wrinkling at the top, since it didn't follow hip curves at all, and I tore off some pouches to put some darts in. The pouches cover the alterations.

29816474670_f047c0137f_n.jpg

I also added Velcro to the pouch flaps, and the back of the belt where it would attach to the bottom of the vest.
30076906366_4a4f3d3671_n.jpg

Lastly, I used some E6000 to attach the silver things, whatever they are. The sculpt and molding was okay, good enough to pass on a Cosplaysky suit.
30111326385_e62234cdf6_n.jpg

Back flap with new lining and Velcro.
30111326715_9d25441ec9_n.jpg

Gaiters - since the originals were so slumpy, I tore one apart and liberated all the strappy bits from the second. Using just the one gaiter to make two new, since the lining was the same pleather as the outside, I made a new lining with headliner foam.

29418235053_ffb04366ca_n.jpg

I also replaced the front section with some coarse weave fabric to look more accurate. The straps were too long, and I attached some painted brown ribbon to simulate the straps a little (not accurate but good enough) and cut them down to actually fit my legs. New holes punched in the straps, and they were good.
30111326515_2744c66ef4_n.jpg
30111326645_206dfc109f_n.jpg
30111325735_17b248c3ca_n.jpg

Extra Velcro helps keep them closed smoothly. I don't think I've ever used so much Velcro on a costume before. A heavy elastic goes under the boot instep, and all in all they worked out fine.
30111326025_5ed22f1f46_n.jpg
30076905346_01731eb30c_n.jpg

The Vest - The star slump was cured with some Eva foam behind it, going across the chest. I actually bonded the fabric and foam together with glue, stretching it smooth as I went.

29816474520_4daf419e47_n.jpg

I found that the front fabric over the pecs kept wrinkling in spite of ironing, like below...

30076905686_fc823d9ff0_n.jpg

So so I used some heavy iron-on interfacing to flatten and keep the lines smooth.
This was following by some headliner foam to further bulk and smooth over the upper chest.

30076905876_86e6fde5b6_n.jpg

Made a world of difference. Starting to look like a costume.

30045334605_50e5b3fec2_n.jpg
Before interfacing
30076904726_79912ce935_n.jpg
After

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'm quite enjoying doing the Cosplaysky costume over, it's like a puzzle. Really, I didn't need to do as much as I did, I mostly wanted to correct the problem with the sleeves and not being able to raise my arms. But, since I was going to be doing that, I thought, what the heck, let's fix a bunch of other things too. For a lot of people, it might not be worth the time, but that's what commercial costumes are for. It's not a bad costume AS IS. And the previous threads on the Cosplaysky AoU and WS suits helped guide me along a lot.

Didn't want pattern the suit from the ground up (too much time) and didn't want to blow money getting the perfect materials to make it. Buying the suit took a load of my mind, and I knew from other threads that their suit was going to be decent as a base. I haven't spent much beyond the sale price for this suit - headliner foam, resin for casting since I'd run out, spandex, and three underwear shirts.

Do I rec the suit from Cosplaysky? Yes-ish. It has its issues. But it's a good start.

Wow great stuff! I wish I could find a Cap suit like this. Or had the talent to do what you are doing.

Last edited:
Right, pretty much the last of my re-make posts - barring a few tweaks, the Cosplaysky suit do-over is done.

Tests with inks and alcohol on the fabric improved the look of the red fabric, darkening it a touch, but thinning down black ink only gets you purple. I wound up just using a heat-set Pebeo fabric paint mixed a slightly warm dove grey. I also did a paint wash in very-thinned out black paint over the whites and reds a bit more. I also tested a dirt bag - got some thin stretch knit, made a bag and filled it with some fine dirt from the great outdoors. Tapped it over the costume to dirty it. Worked fine, though I won:t be welcoming anyone to hug me lest they get dusty.

30076904726_79912ce935_n.jpg
Before
30179318326_ef70d6138f_n.jpg
After, sorry about the lighting.

Lastly, I treated the fabric on the belt and harness with the same acrylic/water mix, and did some dab-and-blot on the light beige pleather with some darker brown acrylic. Same treatment went for the gloves. Oh, forgot to mention - decided not to worry about getting new gloves at this point. The ones I got were MASSIVE ridiculous baseball mitts on my hands that go way up my forearm instead of fastening at the wrist. I took in the sides of the glove and fingers to fit me better, and am just living with the excessive length for the time being.

30076904466_d959555f1c_n.jpg
Before
30099427992_59bd4825ce_n.jpg
After, with painted pleather and dirt etc.

I found that the back flap panel is still doing an annoying rumpled look, because the four velcro fastenings aren't enough to keep it close to my back. So much to my annoyance, I'll be adding more bloody Velcro to pretty much paste that sucker down and smooth. Problem is that I have a rear-end and curvier back than my dress dummy, and hadn't anticipated the problem.

30099427472_5bd54462b2_n.jpg
Literally didn't see the problem until I saw the pics.
30213857515_0d6290a328_n.jpg
So irked. Velcro, take my money.

But anyway, that's a minor fix and I don't need to show it to y'all.

That's it, the end of the Cosplaysky re-make for me. I gotta scratch up my shield, style a wig, make a shield carrying bag and work on a ridiculous Chinese slush cast helmet, but that's not something for this thread. So, thanks for reading.

30179318516_ac3f95d4a1_n.jpg
29584656094_80ff0e7e8c_n.jpg
30179317906_389aa93f3e_n.jpg

As to getting the folding/packed too small wrinkles out, I ironed it. I was lucky in that I could iron it flat and from the back side, since I had ripped it apart.

Use a wrinkle release agent and a pressing cloth to protect your uniform from getting scorched on the right side, if that's how you are ironing it.

The easiest and cheapest wrinkle release is to mix 1/3 vinegar with 2/3 water, spray it on and let it soak into the fabric, then iron on the hottest setting with the pressing cloth between your iron and the fabric. Vinegar smell won't stay long, or hang the piece outside if it gets to you.

You can set the iron to cotton setting, since that's what the costume actually is - but watch out that you don't iron over the vinyl on the chest or the blue knit fabric at that setting - strictly avoid. You will melt them.

Fact is, the coating on the fabric makes every wrinkle look worse than it is. It's why I stripped it.

Anyway. I hate ironing, but that's what I did and will do for this costume.

How are you guys getting the wrinkles out of the fabric?

The costume pulled together well before Halloween weekend, and I was really happy with it. I guess the only downer was when people asked me if I'd made it - not technically but I modded it so much, I may as well call at least 50% of it my own work. Those shoulders did not come with the suit, after all.

I painted the Black Panther scratches on the shield because I chickened out and couldn't handle the thought of using a Dremel. And the helmet is a slush-cast cheap Chinese thing that I heat formed, remodded the leathers and touched up the paint. I did some makeup from the last Iron Man vs Cap showdown in the movie, with some blood dirt and bruising.

Anyway, I didn't get many full length shots, but here it is - the Cosplaysky Civil War suit.

Cv7Y4zYUEAAuWGs.jpgCv73fElVUAARPXw.jpgIMG_7209.JPGIMG_7232.JPGIMG_7302.JPG

Wore it for my class's Halloween party and one of my cheeky students told me it made my head look small. Thank you, sweety, I know my head looks big without a helmet and cloud of curly hair and all... but geez. All in all, glad I went the muscle suit/wide shoulders route.

Photo credits - @BLISTER_comics
‏@Kodama_sen
@waka_tyakku

Cosplayers - Cap - Myself, Angela and Bucky Barnes - feikoi, Black Widow - arami, Kiki - unknown

Cv7Y4zYUEAAuWGs.jpg

Cv73fElVUAARPXw.jpg

IMG_7209.JPG

IMG_7232.JPG

IMG_7302.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I could have, ya know... gone on and on even more. But that kind of stuff needs more pics and its own thread, and maybe if I'd been doing the costume from scratch... but nah. It was a remake, so this thread was the best place for me to go post in. Happy if what I post can help someone doing their own re-make.

Get reworking! And jessamygriffen.. Rather you over post obnoxiously then under post. Every detail helps someone!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back