Mad Max: Fury Road

It's not all about the number of lines of dialogue. We all know Max is the strong and silent type. But he actually did stuff in TRW. The story centered around him. He was the star. This latest picture ought to have been called, "Mad Charlize".

The Wook

Um, he did stuff in Fury Road. If it wasn't for him, Furiosa, the wives and the Vulvilini would have died out in the desert, Immortan Joe, the Bullet Farmer and the People Eater would still be in charge. Nux would have been dead in his attempt at stopping the War Rig, if not remaining at the Citadel dying. It was his interactions that lead to the end results seen in the film. If he wasn't there, there wouldn't have been any change with how things were under Immorton Joe's ruling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Um, he did stuff in Fury Road. If it wasn't for him, Furiosa, the wives and the Vulvilini would have died out in the desert, Immortan Joe, the Bullet Farmer and the People Eater would still be in charge. Nux would have been dead in his attempt at stopping the War Rig, if not remaining at the Citadel dying. It was his interactions that lead to the end results seen in the film. If he wasn't there, there wouldn't have been any change with how things were under Immorton Joe's ruling.

He didn't do schit, man. He stood around like an impotent mute. Charlize dominated that film.

The Wook

He didn't do schit, man. He stood around like an impotent mute. Charlize dominated that film.

The Wook

But without Max, the film would have ended in a different way. It's not about dominating the entire story. Max is a single man, like many great heroes: the right man in the right place at the right time, and one that makes a difference. Just because he isn't chewing up the scenery, going on massive monologues and basically not leading an army to the Citadel to take out Immortan Joe doesn't mean he didn't do anything in the film. As I've outlined in my original reply, without Max, most of the cast would be dead and Immortan Joe and his fellow cohorts would still be in charge and dominating and abusing the weak. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not true.

But without Max, the film would have ended in a different way. It's not about dominating the entire story. Max is a single man, like many great heroes: the right man in the right place at the right time, and one that makes a difference. Just because he isn't chewing up the scenery, going on massive monologues and basically not leading an army to the Citadel to take out Immortan Joe doesn't mean he didn't do anything in the film. As I've outlined in my original reply, without Max, most of the cast would be dead and Immortan Joe and his fellow cohorts would still be in charge and dominating and abusing the weak. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not true.

You can try to convince people of his influence on the plot 'til you're blue in the face, but the bottom line is this: I go see Mad Max movies...to SEE MAD MAX. To see him get mad, and do schit to people who cross him. And Mel was great in all three pictures. He possesses a natural charm, a magnetism, that women want him, and men want to be him. But this Hardy guy stunk. I blame that mostly on the filmmakers for relegating him--the eponymous character--to the sidelines of his own film. But I also blame it on Hardy, for being such a boring stiff, and having NONE of Gibson's mysterious charm and appeal.

The Wook

You can try to convince people of his influence on the plot 'til you're blue in the face, but the bottom line is this: I go see Mad Max movies...to SEE MAD MAX. To see him get mad, and do schit to people who cross him. And Mel was great in all three pictures. He possesses a natural charm, a magnetism, that women want him, and men want to be him. But this Hardy guy stunk. I blame that mostly on the filmmakers for relegating him--the eponymous character--to the sidelines of his own film. But I also blame it on Hardy, for being such a boring stiff, and having NONE of Gibson's mysterious charm and appeal.

The Wook

Well then, if you're just wanting to see Mel Gibson acting nuts/bad-ass, there's plenty of films that show him doing that, including the Lethal Weapon films and Payback, well as another movie called Blood Father that might interest you.

Well then, if you're just wanting to see Mel Gibson acting nuts/bad-ass, there's plenty of films that show him doing that, including the Lethal Weapon films and Payback, well as another movie called Blood Father that might interest you.

It's not just the appeal of seeing Max get mad and kick ass. It's the broader appeal of seeing him do that in the bleak, post-apocalyptic world of the MM movies. And given that Mel's a bit long in the tooth nowadays, it doesn't have to be him. But Hardy was terrible choice to take over the role. The guy has zero charisma.

The Wook

It's not all about the number of lines of dialogue. We all know Max is the strong and silent type. But he actually did stuff in TRW. The story centered around him. He was the star. This latest picture ought to have been called, "Mad Charlize".

The Wook
How is this different than the road warrior? If you ask me, the only difference is that this time, charleze Theron is a better actor/character than the nameless people he helped in the road warrior.

In both of these stories, he's a drifter who fell into someone else's war. And his character arc was when he started to care about their situation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How is this different than the road warrior? If you ask me, the only difference is that this time, charleze Theron is a better actor/character than the nameless people he helped in the road warrior.

In both of these stories, he's a drifter who fell into someone else's war. And his character arc was when he started to care about their situation.

Mel's Max is a compelling character--unforgettable after you've left the theater.

Hardy's Max is boring AF--entirely forgettable after you've left the theater. Hell, even forgettable while watching the film.

The Wook

Normally I agree with you 110% Wook. But I totally disagree with the Hardy comments. I love everything this guy does! Loved him as Max too.I'd like to see him in a lead role in a SW film. Yea the film was heavy handed with Charleze aspect, but he was the glue that cemented the story together, and without his actions the girls would have been toast.

Mel's Max is a compelling character--unforgettable after you've left the theater.

Hardy's Max is boring AF--entirely forgettable after you've left the theater. Hell, even forgettable while watching the film.

The Wook
In other words, it has more to do with the fact that Theron sells it more than Hardy.

I do love Hardy, but I actually think the film would have been better with an aging Gibson.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In other words, it has more to do with the fact that Theron sells it more than Hardy.

I do love Hardy, but I actually think the film would have been better with an aging Gibson.

No, that's not correct. Charlize was great. But as bad as Hardy was, the film's failure is due mostly to the fact that his character didn't do anything. It was Furiosa's story and he was little more than a mute, impotent bystander.

We can't keep going 'round and 'round like this. So I'm giving you the last word.

Go.

I don't care much for Tom hardy, either. I think he's a glorified football hooligan.

But "Fury Road" was amazeballs. My favorite movie of 2015.

I've said it before and caught a bunch of flames for it, but I'll say it again. This was one of the most over-rated movies I've seen in recent years. THAT IS NOT TO SAY I DIDN'T LIKE IT OR THAT IT WAS BAD!!! It was billed as the greatest action movie of the decade and people were shouting its praise from mountain tops. It was good. I just didn't think it deserved the hype it was getting.

For me it's a largely forgettable movie. I've seen it a couple times now and it's pretty cool, but it's a pretty generic movie to me. It looks good but I don't think the special effects were good enough for me to sit and gush over. It just looked like a Fast And The Furious movie set in the post apocalyptic future.

I have never understood the love for this film. I found it to be, in a word...awful.

There was literally nothing about it that I found even the least bit enjoyable. The bad guy sucked. Max sucked. Furiousa sucked. The story was basically not even a story.

I didn’t see it in theaters, but got it on Blu Ray when it was released. I watched it once, then promptly threw it in the trash as I knew I’d never be watching it again. When it came on HBO or Cinemax later I had nothing better to do so tried it again. Nope. Still awful.

I will I’ll never get it. I have absolutely no idea what’s appealing about this film at all.

I have never understood the love for this film. I found it to be, in a word...awful.

There was literally nothing about it that I found even the least bit enjoyable. The bad guy sucked. Max sucked. Furiousa sucked. The story was basically not even a story.

I didn’t see it in theaters, but got it on Blu Ray when it was released. I watched it once, then promptly threw it in the trash as I knew I’d never be watching it again. When it came on HBO or Cinemax later I had nothing better to do so tried it again. Nope. Still awful.

I will I’ll never get it. I have absolutely no idea what’s appealing about this film at all.

The guitar player. That's it.

The rest was schit.

I love this film. It was one of the greatest action films I'd seen in years.
I was emotionally invested in these tortured characters as they
crawled and scratched civilization back on the map of humanity,
and in doing so finding personal redemption.
Now me being a V8 worshipper of a sort and firearms guy didn't hurt
given all the spectacle of such.

I've certainly found many films repelling that others can't get enough of.
You might think we're all human or something.

I'm as guilty as the next guy of posting at least as many negative opinions as positive ones...

....but, Wook, dude, at least three of the top 8 threads of this subforum have become about the fact you don't like the very thing the thread is about.

In case you didn't know, WE BELIEVE YOU.

I'm as guilty as the next guy of posting at least as many negative opinions as positive ones...

....but, Wook, dude, at least three of the top 8 threads of this subforum have become about the fact you don't like the very thing the thread is about.

In case you didn't know, WE BELIEVE YOU.

Well, Tread, as you know, the current Mods here like to have just one thread per topic, or per film, in this case. My first decade or so here, that was not the case. And I wish it was that way again. Because then we could have separate threads called, "ALDEN IS SHORT AND WILL RUIN SOLO!", "ROGUE ONE WAS MOSTLY A CRAPFEST!", and, "THEY SHOULDA CALLED IT MAD CHARLIZE!". And I could commiserate with my like-minded brethren about what's wrong with these movies, without upsetting you and others who happen to love the films. But the Mods don't want that. They want just one thread for ALL opinions to be posted, per topic/film/etc..

But it's not like I come here everyday to bash these (or any other) movies. Even if I make one critical comment, however, the white knights of those films reply and suck me right back in to the debate. For instance, take this thread. Someone posted how great the film was, and I replied, "Yeah, too bad it wasn't a Mad Max movie.". Well, that brought out multiple people defending the film, and clearly wanting to debate it. So I debated it. What's wrong with that? When someone quotes me, and posts their own contradictory take, I'm supposed to just ignore them? I can't "Dislike" them, because there's no such button. So I reply.

It sounds like what you're advocating here is censorship of opinions which deviate from your own. Sorry, pal, but I ain't down with that.

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back