X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

Thanks Ged! I'm pleased with the progress so far. You have a very good point about the equipment wheels, it'd be tough on an icy surface to move that stuff around. I did the trolley and followed suit with the wheels on the lift. I think your right, those wheels need to be changed. I think I have something in 1/72 WWII ( a 2.5 ton truck and/or a tank trailer) that has the type wheel/tire required. I will make the changes. So glad you brought that up, it never occurred to me and being someone who grew up in the snow, it should have. Thanks brother!
Those posed figures you’ve painted up and used look so appropriate and very cool ( pun intended ! ) Ross .
The ancillary components - tool box and scissor lift platform are superb :p

Got a ( probably stupid ) question mate ( please ignore if it’s such ) ... this is taking place in Echo Base so there’d be ice / snow on the ground - having never actually been in snow though , I’m guessing it’d be pretty difficult to move heavy equipment around on it if ( relatively ) small wheels were used ... unless they’re going to be situated on some type of smooth-ish surface - floor mats / pads ?

However , this being set in the SW universe , maybe conventional wheels aren’t needed , and heavy ( looking ) machinery have repulsors ( underneath ) keeping them levitated off any type of uneven surface / floor ? ... just a thought ;) . Either way , I’m loving these additions ... the overall build really ... please keep sharing !

:cheersGed

retro1.jpegretro2.jpegretro3.jpegretro4.jpegretro5.jpegWell, I suppose the retrokits will do. got paint on one and it looks ok. So I'll do the other 2 and use them. However, if Bandai EVER gets with the program and gives us some of these in 1/72, the retrokits will quickly be replaced.

Thanks Blakeh! I'm sure the final arrangement will vary from the temp mock up, but it's coming along. I managed to find some more Germans with what appeared to be the proper head gear so they look semi correct and they're on the way. when I set up that temp scene I realize quickly I needed more bodies. I think right now I have about 25 or so? But I'm thinking I'll need at least 50 or more to get the real feel of a busy hangar. It's almost time to move the wife's little picture gallery off the intended shelf and start placing things so I get a better feel for what I'm going to need. Right now the stuff is on a higher shelf that I can really look at to get a good feel for it. it's rather exciting actually...in a nerdy kinda way :lol
those repair crew figures look perfect as well as all the equipment

speeder3.JPGspeeder2.jpegspeeder4.jpegspeeder5.jpegechobase1.JPGRetrokit speeder #1 done except for the harpoon gun...the casting was so freakin thin, it disintegrated when removing from the sprue...:angry
No problem, scratch one up. But for as sloppy as these are, it looks ok I reckon. First image is the one I scratched with the Retrokit. Bandai...for the love of Yoda...give us a 1/72 snow speeder would ya!? Are you sure you guys aren't getting sick of this yet?:confused

View attachment 816318View attachment 816319View attachment 816320View attachment 816321View attachment 816322Retrokit speeder #1 done except for the harpoon gun...the casting was so freakin thin, it disintegrated when removing from the sprue...:angry
No problem, scratch one up. But for as sloppy as these are, it looks ok I reckon. First image is the one I scratched with the Retrokit. Bandai...for the love of Yoda...give us a 1/72 snow speeder would ya!? Are you sure you guys aren't getting sick of this yet?:confused

Watching build progress of all the amazing talent on this forum never gets old! Keep up the amazing work!

Nice paintwork and weathering on the Snowspeeders Ross :thumbsup , the Retrokit one doesn’t look so bad at all imho .

Question - ‘ Getting sick of this build :confused ‘ ... Hmmm ...

Maybe it’s some way off still , but have you been thinking about the base itself ... what’re you planning to make it out of material wise , are you gonna include a ceiling , will the alcoves be lit ...etc ...etc... ? No pressure mate , but that’s a lot of food for thought ! ... it’s stuff I’m still looking forward to . You’ve got my undivided attention and support mate !
Answer - ‘ Not even close !:lol ‘ .

Thanks Ged,
I just sometimes wonder if posting "everything" is unnecessary...you know...yawners. As far as the base itself, I was thinking on chunks of bedding foam cut with an electric carving knife, good quality stuff that won't turn yellow over time.. I cut out some foam in my rifle traveling cases and it came out looking similar to a wall of snowy ice, albeit gray foam. I was planning a somewhat thin ceiling but haven't yet determined how far I'll go with the suspended lighting...there's a lot of it. I'll likely only have what's require to properly light the diorama be live and have a bunch of dummy fixtures...then there's the floor lighting, I was thinking of how I could utilize fiber optic just to "illuminate those...damn what a job! :wacko
But yes on the alcoves, though they will be shallow, the wall lighting between the alcoves, etc. I need to make a list actually, and scribble down how to accomplish each item. it's starting to seem like I bit off more than I can chew, but I'm hip deep in it now.
Nice paintwork and weathering on the Snowspeeders Ross :thumbsup , the Retrokit one doesn’t look so bad at all imho .

Question - ‘ Getting sick of this build :confused ‘ ... Hmmm ...

Maybe it’s some way off still , but have you been thinking about the base itself ... what’re you planning to make it out of material wise , are you gonna include a ceiling , will the alcoves be lit ...etc ...etc... ? No pressure mate , but that’s a lot of food for thought ! ... it’s stuff I’m still looking forward to . You’ve got my undivided attention and support mate !
Answer - ‘ Not even close !:lol ‘ .

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Korben...I'll forge on :thumbsup
Watching build progress of all the amazing talent on this forum never gets old! Keep up the amazing work!

echo people1.jpegecho people2.jpegecho stuff1.jpegI got the panzer tank crew Friday, but there were only a few that had "the hat". most had the wedge cap...so...I reshaped the caps best I could, then cut tiny pieces of thin evergreen sheet about an 1/8 wide and bent slightly to make bills for the hats. Not perfect by any stretch, but workable. these in pic 2, along with 3 pilots and a base guy in the troop transports (not pictured) I now have 37 people. I thought 50 was going to do it, but now it's really looking like at least 30 more will be needed. along with the existing base greeblies, I primed up the 4 power boxes and the crate and barrel set. I'm thinking a bit more of that will be needed as well. if I can get out of here for lunch today, going to head back to the plastic place and get a couple sheets of 2x3 textured white about 1/8 thick. will attach support blocks on the smooth sides. So the floor piece will be raised about 1/2 inch for all the wiring, as well as the ceiling piece spaced down 1/2 to accommodate the ceiling lighting wires, etc. using this stuff will enable me to cut the base from the people so the can be secured to the floor. I may use cut off pins pushed through the bottom, and drill holes up trough the feet so they can be repositioned if needed.

View attachment 816870View attachment 816876View attachment 816877I got the panzer tank crew Friday, but there were only a few that had "the hat". most had the wedge cap...so...I reshaped the caps best I could, then cut tiny pieces of thin evergreen sheet about an 1/8 wide and bent slightly to make bills for the hats. Not perfect by any stretch, but workable. these in pic 2, along with 3 pilots and a base guy in the troop transports (not pictured) I now have 37 people. I thought 50 was going to do it, but now it's really looking like at least 30 more will be needed. along with the existing base greeblies, I primed up the 4 power boxes and the crate and barrel set. I'm thinking a bit more of that will be needed as well. if I can get out of here for lunch today, going to head back to the plastic place and get a couple sheets of 2x3 textured white about 1/8 thick. will attach support blocks on the smooth sides. So the floor piece will be raised about 1/2 inch for all the wiring, as well as the ceiling piece spaced down 1/2 to accommodate the ceiling lighting wires, etc. using this stuff will enable me to cut the base from the people so the can be secured to the floor. I may use cut off pins pushed through the bottom, and drill holes up trough the feet so they can be repositioned if needed.

Looks awesome and really starting to come along! I love working with miniature stuff... so much fun. The challenge is to get it as realistic as possible, for me anyway. And you're doing a stand up job!

Thanks brother! I have to say though, some of these figures are only going to fool the folks that aren't really familiar with the subject, but...it works for me and it'll pass for the occasional observer guest at the house who will see it. For my fellow builders here, you'll have to live my excuses :lol
Looks awesome and really starting to come along! I love working with miniature stuff... so much fun. The challenge is to get it as realistic as possible, for me anyway. And you're doing a stand up job!

- - - Updated - - -

looking closely...these guys are obviously Third Reich dudes :eek

one kinda funny thing though... there are 3 of the tank crew guys, one with his hand on his head, one with hands on his hips, and one sitting...these 3 will be looking, in obvious disgust, at a snow speeder that needs a LOT of love:angry:facepalm:cry. the result of work done to adapt the speeder to the cold that didn't work out too well :lol

Update...went to get the acrylic sheet for the floor and ceiling...and figured out...why not just do the whole thing with that and forget the foam? That way I can do it as a module that I can remove from the wall shelf if I need to repair something, or even take it to a show. :confused

Ross quick question... what is the dimensions of your 72 scale snowspeeder?

I just want to check my calculations... I looked it up and what I found was the snowspeeder is 17 feet, is that correct to you're knowledge? If so, I have it as 2.83 inches at 1/72 scale. I am just trying to find out for my prints.

hey dude!
I'd be happy to take a caliper to it this evening when I get home and let you know. Will that work? I just pulled out a tape measure...2.83 looks like it probably correct. let me know what other measurements you'd like and I'll do it up when I get home, cool? :thumbsup

I just want to check my calculations... I looked it up and what I found was the snowspeeder is 17 feet, is that correct to you're knowledge? If so, I have it as 2.83 inches at 1/72 scale. I am just trying to find out for my prints.

So what are you up to? Are you 3D printing a 1/72 snow speeder I presume? one solid piece?

So what are you up to? Are you 3D printing a 1/72 snow speeder I presume? one solid piece?
No need for calipers :) I just wanted to know if I was in the right ballpark size wise.

Yeah I just printed three Snow Speeders just for the fun of it... and so I can have a 1/72 for my collection. I figured it was kind of a waste to just print one since there was room on the build plate. Honestly, I think even these are painted they won't look as nice as the one you scratch built. The one advantage I can see if something like this could give you the basic shape and then you can go to town with the custom detailing like you did.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back