Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Spent a few hours with some A14 out in the sun, it's certainly not a quick method but you can't argue with the results :) All the steel wool gives it a really nice surface as well, very tactile. Just gotta wait for Trent's stencils now :)

IMG_8181.JPGIMG_8180.JPG

If what Brandon believes is true, that the V2 was solely used for the stunt work in ANH, it may have been dented then and some of the damage seen in RotJ was just carry-over from that. There are two instances where the thing would have been intentionally dropped: the first being the Ben sacrifice (the rigging of it), and then the medium-close shot of the hilt falling with the robe.

Also, if you look closely on the photos Brandon has posted of the prop, you can actually make out where former paint chips once were. The finish of the material, where the paint covered, is lighter than the other areas.

Regarding the Hamill sore thumb story, he got that doing the stunt for the Hoth sequence, when he jumps out of the way as the AT-AT stomps on his speeder.

Spent a few hours with some A14 out in the sun, it's certainly not a quick method but you can't argue with the results :) All the steel wool gives it a really nice surface as well, very tactile. Just gotta wait for Trent's stencils now :)

View attachment 815329View attachment 815328

Hey, sorry I'm gonna ask a dumb question again, but what is A14? your result is really nice and I'm interested in your technique as well. since my dishwasher try was a failure :cry
thanks a lot :thumbsup

View attachment 815329View attachment 815328

Tom that came out great!! Nice work buddy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, sorry I'm gonna ask a dumb question again, but what is A14? your result is really nice and I'm interested in your technique as well. since my dishwasher try was a failure :cry
thanks a lot :thumbsup

Read page 1....

On reflection I decided the booster/pommel cubes weren't dark enough so I gave everything a couple of speed dips (dip in the A14 solution and then dunk into water as quickly as I can) and I'm happier with the darkness and variations I've ended up with, although i'm still not 100% decided :) Figured I'd take some nicer pictures too:

IMG_8188.JPGIMG_8189.JPG

Wicked!!! Love the pommel damage!!!

I think the real thing still has fishing line in the pommel recess from when luke "grabs" it off the chair

I think the real thing still has fishing line in the pommel recess from when luke "grabs" it off the chair

Good theory!! You got some killer eyes as well!

Good theory!! You got some killer eyes as well!

:) you're flattering. Brandon said that when he popped on here to drop some knowledge tho

:) you're flattering. Brandon said that when he popped on here to drop some knowledge tho

Ha?!?! I don’t ever remember seeing that! Damn! Do you remember where to find that post?

Ha?!?! I don’t ever remember seeing that! Damn! Do you remember where to find that post?

Hmm, I'll have to search the V2 thread proper.

On reflection I decided the booster/pommel cubes weren't dark enough so I gave everything a couple of speed dips (dip in the A14 solution and then dunk into water as quickly as I can) and I'm happier with the darkness and variations I've ended up with, although i'm still not 100% decided :) Figured I'd take some nicer pictures too:

View attachment 815412View attachment 815413

Ahhh man! You messed yours all up :unsure Well that's ok. Just mail it right back to me and I'll send you a replacement that hasn't been weathered :p

Ahhh man! You messed yours all up :unsure Well that's ok. Just mail it right back to me and I'll send you a replacement that hasn't been weathered :p

Naaah I did one more pommel dip and wire wooled down the cubes and booster a bit more and now I think it's perfect! ;)

IMG_8201.JPG

Last edited:

Since Tom is clearly not interested in your most generous offer, why don’t I give you my money and you send me Tom’s replacement? (Please?)

What I mean to say is, if you in fact do have a spare or two you’re willing to part with, I’m interested in one. Didn’t have the funds at the time of the run. :(

cheers,
elsporto

Hey hey hey, if we are talking about replacements, I screw up 2 already with 1 more on the way, who do I talk to on getting more V2’s ?!?! :p

Hey hey hey, if we are talking about replacements, I screw up 2 already with 1 more on the way, who do I talk to on getting more V2’s ?!?! [emoji14]

Ahah who can stop Halliwax ?!?!?! [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Ahah who can stop Halliwax ?!?!?! [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

A simple cupcake will put the whole day of production to a halt... I love cupcakes

A simple cupcake will put the whole day of production to a halt... I love cupcakes

Cupcakes are evil [emoji48][emoji48][emoji48] [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Thanks for the tips of bending the emitter without damaging it. I too ended up using the wooden end of a hammer, the rubber mallet wouldnt do anything.

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.50.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.50.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.50.33 AM.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back