eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!!

Maybe this has been mentioned previously, but a lamp from IKEA?

26781F93-C2E9-40C5-8DD3-448E2E4EF45E.jpeg 34871FFF-E4B6-4102-B77A-78B986661B98.jpeg

Decided to ditch the EFX acrylic stand due to its weird creak noises it makes each time you touch it. The 2 back screws were not fully tightened in when I took the stand down, despite the fact that I did tighten them the first time I assembled the EFX stand. This is not a stand I would trust for a heavy fiberglass helmet, EFX really managed to make a weird helmet AND a weird stand, super-combo! I'm using an extra black wood stand I got years ago from 501st forum (these are so solid I could use for chairs), and for the plaque I too 2 back triangles from Philip Wise plaque stands and double taped them to the EFX plaque holder. The good thing is I managed to fit the helmet sides almost perfectly, this could also be due to the more sturdy wood stand.

Comparison_EFX_RS_Scout_Trooper_Helmet.jpg

I can’t believe Gino came in to post that comparison photo but said nothing else. Actually, I guess I can, but it’s just really, really sad the way this company has treated its customers.

I can’t believe Gino came in to post that comparison photo but said nothing else. Actually, I guess I can, but it’s just really, really sad the way this company has treated its customers.

Maybe a bit unfair and it wasn't something I was seeking (was doing google image searches for Vader busts, since I'm currently working on one). An image I came across led me to this link (the response in post #6 made me chuckle a bit when I thought of this thread).
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=67020&p=938047&viewfull=1#post938047

That post was from almost 10 years ago. Stalk much?
And at that time, no company producing licensed sw props, costumes, statues or toys were interested in trying to reach that high a level of accuracy.
Some people either weren't around, or forget what it was like back then. Full out idealization ruled the land.
And yes, the scout helmet is super accurate even considering the compromises that were made. Still more accurate than any fan sculpt and if it weren't for RS (which even though very nice also has some accuracy issues), would be the only chance most people would have at getting anything with pedigree tied to the actual production.
These are mass produced licensed collectibles. There is always going to be a level of compromise you have to accept compared to an actual film prop. If you can't understand that then you really have no understanding about how manufacturing on a large scale in China works.
The best you could hope for is for there to be someone like me who actually cares enough to push for them to be as good as they can. And I can promise you no one would push harder. So you can trust that the scout was pushed to the max capacity of what a factory could turn out. Do I wish it could have been pushed further? Of course. Accepting the limits of what a factory can do is hard, especially for someone like me but thats just the hard reality.
And when all things are considered, it turned out pretty damn amazing. I can understand being disappointed with the compromises, but to act like its trash because of them just goes to show how utterly spoiled we have become as prop collectors. Which is a good thing as well as bad. And I'm sure I'm partially to blame for being such an accuracy nut.
At the time of that old post (almost 10 years ago) I would have sold a kidney for the chance to own a replica of the scout as good as the EFX, and so would have everyone else.
Skip ahead to the present and it's still mind-blowing that we have access to replicas of this caliber.

Last edited by a moderator:
And at that time, no company producing licensed sw props, costumes, statues or toys were interested in trying to reach that high a level of accuracy.
Some people either weren't around, or forget what it was like back then. Full out idealization ruled the land.
And yes, the scout helmet is super accurate even considering the compromises that were made. Still more accurate than any fan sculpt and if it weren't for RS (which even though very nice also has some accuracy issues), would be the only chance most people would have at getting anything with pedigree tied to the actual production.
These are mass produced licensed collectibles. There is always going to be a level of compromise you have to accept compared to an actual film prop. If you can't understand that then you really have no understanding about how manufacturing on a large scale in China works.
The best you could hope for is for there to be someone like me who actually cares enough to push for them to be as good as they can. And I can promise you no one would push harder. So you can trust that the scout was pushed to the max capacity of what a factory could turn out. Do I wish it could have been pushed further? Of course. Accepting the limits of what a factory can do is hard, especially for someone like me but thats just the hard reality.
And when all things are considered, it turned out pretty damn amazing. I can understand being disappointed with the compromises, but to act like its trash because of them just goes to show how utterly spoiled we have become as prop collectors. Which is a good thing as well as bad. And I'm sure I'm partially to blame for being such an accuracy nut.
At the time of that old post (almost 10 years ago) I would have sold a kidney for the chance to own a replica of the scout as good as the EFX, and so would have everyone else.
Skip ahead to the present and it's still mind-blowing that we have access to replicas of this caliber.

With absolutely all due respect, you are talking about 2 very dissimilar points in time where things were very different.

Today we live in an age where we have access to things that are more accurate. People are more educated, and for that, smarter and expect more.

I came from the 80's where I thought (and still do think) the old Kenner figures were the cat's meow, but my son looks at one of the figures I have and says, "That looks dumb. It doesn't even look like him." Anyway, that's toys and not props, but is a good example of what we had then that we accepted as-is vs. what we have now.

When people are promised something to built to the lineage of an actual prop with no other disclaimers, people are going to expect to receive what they're told they are going to get. Of course getting something produced on a mass scale is going to come with issues, but they probably should have been ironed out and created an approved prototype that collectors get to see as the actual like-piece they would be getting before beginning pre-sales.

You're obviously not familiar with the fan sculpt out there, because my MLC from years ago looks way better than the crap EFX released.
Plus I am familiar with working with China on products and using the factories as an excuse is a pretty lame cop out.

A7387B6E-B8B8-443D-AA47-11CE9DAB2EE6.jpeg

If this is indeed the best that Chinese manufacturing can do, should we expect the same array of “compromises” with the Legend Scout? Or with the hypothetical Legend Fett?

I must say that the final paragraph of the EFX website’s advertising blurb (pasted above) gave somewhat of a different image in my mind than the assemblage or compromises and lineage that sits in front of me now. It’s a bit like buying a table with beautiful descriptions of where the exotic wood was sourced from, only to end up with a finished product that has a half inch gap across the middle where the two halves should be joined.

And speaking of the Legend Scout, we are still waiting on the update on that that was due by the end of February.

Classic example as to why I can not stand Gino and his pathetic attitude on his stuff and props in general. He has been banned every where else why not here? ...

I don't know for sure, but from what I can tell reading between the lines Gino perhaps contributed, in his own aggravating way, to what this forum has become. And if that is the case then he would deserve some degree of gratitude. There definitely isn't a thread extolling his virtues, but nobody else at eFX has the stones to come here and take the heat. :/

Gino, then why not produce in THE USA? I know we at Bluerealm could have done the manufacturing and got it right. And in a fraction of this project's current time frame. Maybe not as cheaply, but considering the amount of money lost and damage to EFX'S reputation these latest projects and business practices have been, surely it's worth doing here at home. It could save the company to eat some of that profit margin to give a better consumer experience and quality product.

It's still not too late either. Heck there are many US companies capable of mass produced quality products on small and medium scales like efx edition numbers.

I wish.
Most places set up in the US just don't have the infrastructure and scale to take on something like that. 1000-1500 helmets is no joke.
The reality is to manufacture in the US is just way too expensive (maybe 3 to 4 times the cost) and most people aren't willing to spend triple the price for these kinds of replicas.
Even if some would be, a thousand of them wouldn't be.

That post was from almost 10 years ago....And at that time, no company producing licensed sw props, costumes, statues or toys were interested in trying to reach that high a level of accuracy.... Full out idealization ruled the land.
Not sure about that given EFX was around in 2008, and of course MR had done some pretty nice stuff like the Boba Fett helmet, RotS and AotC Clones. This helmet is a huge step backwards for EFX - surely even you see that.

And yes, the scout helmet is super accurate even considering the compromises that were made.
I take exception to this. Calling the EFX Scout "Super Accurate" is frankly laughable. Adding your caveat would be like saying "this Darth Vader figure is super accurate - considering its made from Jello"

Still more accurate than any fan sculpt and if it weren't for RS (which even though very nice also has some accuracy issues), would be the only chance most people would have at getting anything with pedigree tied to the actual production.
Comparing the EFX to a Fan sculpt fully demonstrates how disappointing it is. Yeah we kind of expected it to be more accurate than a bespoke sculpt. However despite the side-swipe I think even you would privately agree the RS is a massive step up on accuracy over the EFX.

There is always going to be a level of compromise you have to accept compared to an actual film prop.
Gino - yeah we know that - but this is a mess. Its seems clear that EFX compromised the accuracy of the helmet by prioritising a visor that could flip over 90 degrees - something not seen on-screen. EFX got its priorities wrong, didnt account properly for the different materials used, failed to adequately Quality Check their work.

Sorry but these come across as embarrassing excuses. To paraphrase "imagine how bad it would've been had I not been involved" is not a great argument.

Sorry but this is just a garbage statement.

And when all things are considered, it turned out pretty damn amazing.
No Gino it didn't. After four years it turned out a mess. A helmet with an unnecessarily gaping, irregular void when viewed from above, a visor that doesn't close - and jaw flaring to try and help it fit together better. Its a stretch to call it "acceptable", a million miles from "amazing". Please tone it down!

Stop trying to tell us this is wonderful and that we should be somehow grateful we're allowed to put $700 down for one of these.

Just to be clear on this Gino - I am not blaming you for this mess! However its damn frustrating for you to come here and try to suggest everything is fine. After four years it really isn't. This project has ended up a mess - not least for the people who still have the $900 Legend on order which (if it ever does arrive) looks to be heading the same way.

Cheers

Jez

GINO: Skip ahead to the present and it's still mind-blowing that we have access to replicas of this caliber.

Stop trying to tell us this is wonderful and that we should be somehow grateful we're allowed to put $700 down for one of these.

In the end they did have access to the Archives, too bad the replicas made are not that close to what we expected, excepting the chosen people who got clean casts directly from the Archives. I guess their optimism comes from that fact

To be frank. Blaming the shortcomings of the efx scout on the chinese manufacturing process seems like a puff of hot air. We have seen companies do better (and in a much shorter time frame). For example the stargate Anubis bust made by Chronicle Collectibles is an outstanding replica. It is a warts and all copy of original pieces, yet it was made in a Chinese factory..

The fact is the factories copy the master, and if the master stinks, the resulting copies will stink. Ala the efx scout.

Regardless of the excuses. Good on you, you were able to substantially further your own collection on another's coin, whilst throwing a stick into the spokes of other collectors. Well played indeed.

Gino-

I've seen a few of the things you've displayed before and the photos you've shared, and you definitely define the word perfection when it comes to replicas. They are absolutely beautiful and the workmanship with attention to detail is arguably second to none. That being said, it surprises me the statements/excuses you made about the results of this helmet in defense of eFX.

I would ask you, being the very obvious stickler of perfection when it comes to the things you work so hard on in your personal collection... would any of these statements honestly satisfy you if you were the recipient of one of these scout helmets as the consumer?

Again, with example to some of your collection you have shared with us, 'Good enough' doesn't seem to apply in the quality of your pieces. Perfection, but not good enough.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back