X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

gt350pony66- I tallied up everything I want on Shapeways and I think it would just be cheaper for me to buy my own 3D SLA laser resin printer ;)

Seriously... I think I am buying one!

well that's cool. my wife has asked me why I don't do the same...surprisingly. I guess its a matter of which one to buy, learning how to use it...and the accessibility of the files of the stuff you want to print. I've thought about it once or twice. I bought a Diago Falcon when they were on sale. Buy the whole thing at once for 1200 bucks. I looked on Shapeways...there's nearly that much in upgrade parts I want. The way I understand it, you can get a nice 3D printer for around 1300 or so, they go up from there I guess. Like anything else, you can spend as much as you want. Do me a favor, if you get serious about that, let me know what direction you go. not that I'm lazy about doing the research, I'm just not to the brink yet :thumbsup
gt350pony66- I tallied up everything I want on Shapeways and I think it would just be cheaper for me to buy my own 3D SLA laser resin printer ;)

Seriously... I think I am buying one!

Yeah it is a good price. The build volume is pretty small though, but for what we do/need it would be fine I think. The max build size of the one I was looking at is 7+ inches by 5+ inches by 2+ inches. A lot of parts would fit in that build size.

I was looking at the PLA printers but I think resin printers are the future. I compare it to this- PLA printers are like a dot matrix printer and the SLA resin printers are like a high resolution laser or inkjet printer. I really think the PLA printers are going to go by the way of old tech like the dot matrix printer example.

3D SLA resin printers...that sounds very do-able. I may have to jump in on all that myself if I continue to build like I have for the past couple years. lord knows I've spent enough at Shapeways! I'll need to bone-up on the process though. I'm so-so with computer literacy...but the wife is a wiz with it. :lol
Yeah it is a good price. The build volume is pretty small though, but for what we do/need it would be fine I think. The max build size of the one I was looking at is 7+ inches by 5+ inches by 2+ inches. A lot of parts would fit in that build size.

I was looking at the PLA printers but I think resin printers are the future. I compare it to this- PLA printers are like a dot matrix printer and the SLA resin printers are like a high resolution laser or inkjet printer. I really think the PLA printers are going to go by the way of old tech like the dot matrix printer example.

just think gt350pony66... if you had an SLA printer just think what all you could have done for your 1/72 snow speeder!

Possibly , maybe true ... but what he’s accomplished without one is still pretty cool too !;)

:cheersGed

Ross you should get Shapeways to issue you an members discount card for all your patronage !:lol

well I suppose if I had the know how to design my own parts, then feed that into a 3D printer...I may have to seriously consider that since I don't see my building slowing down anytime soon. I'm thinking it's going to be a tough learning curve as simple minded as I am :unsure I'm still putting off starting my DeAgo Falcon simply because I don't know how to do all the slick extras I want to do to it :facepalm
just think gt350pony66... if you had an SLA printer just think what all you could have done for your 1/72 snow speeder!

Thanks Ged, I appreciate that. However, compared to...who was that again? the guy that is scratching the Tie Bomber...I'll recall it later I'm sure, but compared to what he's doing my work is a bit sloppy :wacko :lol
Possibly , maybe true ... but what he’s accomplished without one is still pretty cool too !;)

:cheersGed

I'll tell you this, I put out a thread on Shapeways forum to see if any designers would take up the task of doing a Hoth Leia and Taun-tauns with and without rider...got a reply over the weekend, dude said they do it for 400 bucks! :eek needless to say, that ain't gonna happen!

hothbase3.jpeghothbase4.jpeghothbase5.jpeghothbase6.jpeghothbase7.jpeghothbase1.jpeghothbase2.jpeghothbase8.jpegnothing too exciting, Xwing #2 done. all the lighting this one got was 8 or so points of .25mm FO in the cockpit. this one is almost 100% powered down, no droid, and I decided to leave the nose off and going to scratch a lift cart like this one with a guy on the cart handle, the nose on the cart as if going toward the xwing for install, maybe another guy standing at the front of the ship. I dunno, I'll think of something. I suppose next I should build those ugly @zz resin speeders...I wish Bandai would save me that unpleasant task and intro one right about now.:rolleyes

I realize the markings on these ships are not correct to the scene scrutinizers for accuracy, but for this project I'm not concerned with that aspect. the tool boxes, the lifts, and many other things won't exactly be right either, but...I don't care. it'll still look "busy" and there will be a lot to look at.

I realize the markings on these ships are not correct to the scene scrutinizers for accuracy, but for this project I'm not concerned with that aspect. the tool boxes, the lifts, and many other things won't exactly be right either, but...I don't care. it'll still look "busy" and there will be a lot to look at.
I have this mindset... especially in the Star Wars universe, and especially with the Rebel Alliance, I see it is a mentality of 'whatever works' and 'whatever is available'. They don't have the resources that the Empire has, so with that said, to me anything goes! All you have to say is it's a different ship. Unless something is specifically supposed to be Luke's X-Wing or something like that, everything can and will be slightly different.

Personally I love the work you're doing! I can't wait to see the finished hanger bay with the walls and everything in it :)

Thanks Bill, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Some folks, (and I don't knock them for it at all) get too far into the weeds on that sort of thing. Sometimes I wish I was more like that, but really, for the casual viewer to think it looks neat and cool, like myself...that's all I care about. "Studio accurate" just isn't my thing. The Falcon in the pic is an MPC with lots of upgrades, and while it "looks" like it's supposed to, it's miles away from "screen accurate" and I could care less. Though I will be building the PG kit for this diorama, and I will make more of an effort with it because it costs so much. However, it won't be the ANH, obviously. I'm patiently waiting for Tony to get the add on front landing gear and bays ready for this kit, so, it'll be butchered for those so it appears as it should for ESB. Quite frankly, I never cared for the ANH version anyway. I built my very first Falcon as such, but would never do it again unless I did like a Death Star hangar or something, then it would be required. I liken it to when I would build a resto-mod '66 Gt350. I'd be at a cruise-in or a car show, not trying to pass it off as a real one, but folks would say, "well why did you do this, and why did you do that, why didn't you do this, this way" and I simply reply...I built the car to my liking, not someone else's :cool
I have this mindset... especially in the Star Wars universe, and especially with the Rebel Alliance, I see it is a mentality of 'whatever works' and 'whatever is available'. They don't have the resources that the Empire has, so with that said, to me anything goes! All you have to say is it's a different ship. Unless something is specifically supposed to be Luke's X-Wing or something like that, everything can and will be slightly different.

Personally I love the work you're doing! I can't wait to see the finished hanger bay with the walls and everything in it :)

Well a couple of problems solved...wasn't cheap though. One of the designers on Shapeways has some product sort of hidden, and only on their website. They've got my taun taun with a rider, mighty spendy though. Also, Gus at 3D Falcon is doing something with a Hoth Leia so he's graciously offered to do me up one, hasn't said how much yet, but I'm sure it's gonna be pricey like the taun taun. But, it gets it done, and done proper.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back