Back to the Future Marty's Holographic Cap (BTTF)

Re: Where to buy accurate BTTF2 cap?

Ok, I'll wait to hear back from the experts but will do some initial legwork. I've already found some possible material that should work. I'll see about getting some samples so I can photograph the effect myself.

I can't find the forum with this information now since it was so long ago, but the most notable aspect to me is that the general shape of the front of the screen used hat is more rectangular like a trucker hat and not sloping down and round like the Diamond Select hat. I remember something about the color of the thread keeping the pieces together, but I can't quite remember the color. My guess is that it was blue. There's a picture of the screen used hat and jacket together with close ups, but I can't seem to find it right now. @Jedifyfe, do you have any information on the hat that would help Indy?

The movie hat is very straight-walled. This post in which I discuss color mixing, actually shows off this pretty well.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144604&page=3&p=4025762&viewfull=1#post4025762

Instead of a bulged triangle panel like you would use on a typical rounded cap.

ae96045cfc2c6f286a5f8c7c1c17102a.jpg

I think they used panels that looked more like a square with a triangle on top. Maybe just a little bulge on the side of the triangle so it doesn't just form a flat top.

house.jpg

I'm certainly no expert though. That's just what it looks like to me.

Last edited:

Update: So my hat arrived! It looks pretty cool. And it's in good shape; mainly it just looks like it's been sitting around someone's shelf. (He said he's had it for 10 years.) The color is so different from the licensed Universal one available currently, and comparing the two the current one looks quite garish.

bttf-hats-both.jpg

It is smaller and more fitted vs the modern one and while I have a slightly larger head for a woman, I can definitely see how it wouldn't fit a guy. It *just* fits me.

miraj-bttf2.jpeg

The colors come across muted in photos and they're definitely deeper in tone but it really does have a lot of play to the color as you move it. The inside tag was cut but other than that it looks in nice shape.

miraj-bttf1.jpg miraj-bttf1b.jpg miraj-bttf1c.jpg

Overall, I'm really pleased with my find. And I'm shocked and just how different the color is on this Miraj one vs the current licensed one!!

These are the pictures I was trying to find that I knew existed! Where did you find them?
Last night I found them in my BTTF folder on my computer, filed under "Hat." haha

Before that, I found them on Flickr from the 2011 Nike Mag launch event and auction. Exactly where? I don't know.

-Nick

Last night I found them in my BTTF folder on my computer, filed under "Hat." haha

Before that, I found them on Flickr from the 2011 Nike Mag launch event and auction. Exactly where? I don't know.

-Nick

Well I'm glad you had them so this hat replica can be as good as it can be.

Yes, once I get some good traction with the material, etc. In the mean time, I'll update here.

A quick search brings up this website for the fabric.
http://www.lantorlimited.com/3D-Lenticular-sheets-Multicolor-Yellow-Orange-p/sh-r001.htm

I'm not sure if its the shape of the hat or the lenticular material they used but the Diamond Select hat has too many of the different colors in a small area. The screen used hat seems to have the colors spread out if that makes sense. This picture shows how close the colors are on the DS hat pretty well.
back-to-the-future-in-hat-form-1356535803.jpg

Compared to:
2948326-marty_multicolored_hat.jpg

You can see one color more or less takes up an entire section of the hat. The DS hat has many of them in one area. That's what distinguishes the two the most.

Last edited:

A quick search brings up this website for the fabric.
http://www.lantorlimited.com/3D-Lenticular-sheets-Multicolor-Yellow-Orange-p/sh-r001.htm

I'm not sure if its the shape of the hat or the lenticular material they used but the Diamond Select hat has too many of the different colors in a small area. The screen used hat seems to have the colors spread out if that makes sense. This picture shows how close the colors are on the DS hat pretty well.
https://d2npbuaakacvlz.cloudfront.n...back-to-the-future-in-hat-form-1356535803.jpg
Compared to:
http://static5.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_large/1549/15494232/2948326-marty_multicolored_hat.jpg
You can see one color more or less takes up an entire section of the hat. The DS hat has many of them in one area. That's what distinguishes the two the most.

The material from Lantor is too thick to use. The hats are sewn while inside-out and must be flipped. The Lantor material isn't flexible enough. When trying to form it, it causes shiny defects at each point where the material is forced to flex, ruining it. Too bad, the colors are correct. But you must find or produce a thinner, more flexible version of the material.

Sommers Plastics made the original material, and supposedly re-released it recently. But the sample I obtained looked terrible. Colors were so washed out they were almost invisible. Could have been from a bad batch--not sure. If I was Indy, I would order a current sample from them (if still available) and see what it looks like.

Here's an initial sample produced by our factory:

EejO5rE.png

To me this looks just like the DS version. The good news is that the fabric has to be done from scratch, so if I can get a more accurate color representation (meaning a physical sample), we can make our fabric from that. The actual design of the hat (so the curved brim, aqua stitching, fitted back, etc) will all be customized to match the original, so that's no problem. We just need to sort out the fabric first.

I've sent a message to Sommers, but no reply yet...

But... if you guys think the above material is good enough, we can proceed with the material and a more accurate prototype.

Indy Magnoli
Would you be willing to get a pic under a warm light or possibly sunlight? It does look like you've gotten it though.

If the Lantor sheets are too thick, but the right color. Would that still serve as a physical sample? Their sheets are on sale for $12.50 currently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's an initial sample produced by our factory:

http://i.imgur.com/EejO5rE.png

To me this looks just like the DS version. The good news is that the fabric has to be done from scratch, so if I can get a more accurate color representation (meaning a physical sample), we can make our fabric from that. The actual design of the hat (so the curved brim, aqua stitching, fitted back, etc) will all be customized to match the original, so that's no problem. We just need to sort out the fabric first.

I've sent a message to Sommers, but no reply yet...

But... if you guys think the above material is good enough, we can proceed with the material and a more accurate prototype.

Good Lord that was quick! I'm assuming it will be a fitted cap, no strap in the back?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back