New Roger Christian Interview

There's no tape . . . G R A F L E X is clearly visible as are the lines . . . I have a clamp that has a number on one of the sidebars too which suggests it may have been in use by the army or so ... they always numbered their equipment to keep track where it was use ... my numbered clamp is reserved for my OB1 because the rust makes it so much more a real used weapon of a civilized age and it will set my all vintage parts aside from all the others out there . . . :)

Chaïm

There's no tape . . . G R A F L E X is clearly visible as are the lines . . . I have a clamp that has a number on one of the sidebars too which suggests it may have been in use by the army or so ... they always numbered their equipment to keep track where it was use ...

Chaïm

very cool! is it stamped, etched or printed on?

Yeah, you can just make out evidence of the L and the E - the X is completely washed out by the bright reflection.

ANH clamp.jpg

No tape.

Last edited:
The reason I see tape is because the letters and lines are so faint that it looks like an impression. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a test. It could just be a washed out photo too. But I don't feel 100% either way-- especially since now we know just how many belt hangers there were, they have had some minor differences that explain why the clamp moves and some pics look like they could have tape.

I know Roger personally and I've spoken to him about the work he did on these.

As I have found with pretty much all recollections regarding the original props and models, the details of many of the specifics of how they were built has become blurred with the passing of time - and Roger's recollections while fantastic, can also be fairly vague when it comes to precise info. As he said to me once, most of these items were made at break-neck speed, simply grabbing what was available and not necessarily looking at each part under a microscope so, its understandable that he - and others - can't recall everything.

Great post and thanks for sharing. Roger is a terrific guy and I am glad he has been brought back into the spotlight because the work he and his team did in many ways set the bar...

Regards

MARK

I think they edited the article since I read it this morning. I read that one part about the DL-44 like 4 times because it was really confusing. Where is says [muzzle] now, it said [camera].

I've read his book it's pretty good.

I've worked as a film developer for many years (not anymore). Anyway, back in the good ol' "film" days, before digital, we very frequently had to brighten up images. & it didn't matter if it was a point-n-shoot or SLR. The pros, who thought they were amazing, never knew how much work went into making them look amazing. Anyway, you could only brighten so much, however, due to the fact that you would loose details in the image.

very cool! is it stamped, etched or printed on?

This shall be revealed when I dug up the clamp from my parts box hidden behind so many other boxes coming from my late parents home right now ... and when I have taken some beautyshots of it for the OB1 ultimate all vintage parts thread ... :)

Chaïm

.... he doesn't mention camera parts when talking about the DL-44...

Hey @SethS ! I wouldn't rule it out though. Here are some vintage camera GREEBLIES I picked up back in March 2017....

Vintage Camera GREEBLIES - Ridire Firean - 01.jpg

Vintage Camera GREEBLIES - Ridire Firean - 02.jpg

They really liked round, stepped, knurled, and conical bits back then, and Roger Christian did shop at a camera store in London. I'm not saying he didn't also shop at an airplane scrapyard and that some of the greeblies couldn't have come from there too, I'm just saying that there were certainly some camera parts that could fit right in on a DL-44.

Last edited:
Yeah, his wording is kind of vague.

"Then I made five or six of them. The two that I made went out to Tunisia, and then that’s the one that Obi-Wan brings out of his box and gives to Luke."

These sentences don't make sense. "The two that I made went out to Tunisia" could mean Luke and Obi-Wan's. We all know those two sabers were in Tunisia. And if at this point in the interview he's referring to all lightsabers, not just Graflex lightsabers, then "five or six" could refer to every lightsaber in the film. (Barring stunt sabers of course.) Two Vaders, two Obi-Wans, and one or two Lukes.

The most intriguing part of the interview is when he says, "I’ve still got mine." Could an ANH era hero lightsaber still exist in the private collection of Roger Christian? :eek If so it's only a matter of time before it comes to light. Just like the ESB Vader and the Luke V2.

The most intriguing part of the interview is when he says, "I’ve still got mine." Could an ANH era hero lightsaber still exist in the private collection of Roger Christian? :eek If so it's only a matter of time before it comes to light. Just like the ESB Vader and the Luke V2.
He said something similar on Instagram a few weeks back and I tried to get clarification but my comment went unnoticed

there is a video on youtube where he is talking to a radio disc jockey and he has the saber on the table. he says its one of the originals but i thought people proved that wrong because of the grips. I'm going to try and dig that video up right now

Well now wait a minute... in that second video he says towards the end "this is exactly duplicated..." and is motioning towards the grips and the bubble strip. So is this or is it not an original? Seems like perhaps only the bare Graflex might be one that he saved from 1976.

Well now wait a minute... in that second video he says towards the end "this is exactly duplicated..." and is motioning towards the grips and the bubble strip. So is this or is it not an original? Seems like perhaps only the bare Graflex might be one that he saved from 1976.

i know in the very beginning of the first video he talks like "this is THE ONE"

i just realized the grips tips aren't cut on the 30* angle!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back