Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

OH the irony. Balok's brother is going to save Star Wars.

latest

Sez the man with arguably the lowest SWIQ on the site!

The Wook

ps~@jlee562. I find your assertion that people in China have the same low-brow tastes in films as American Millennials do, to be far more offensive. smh The notion that people in China are not sophisticated enough to appreciate the brilliance of a film like Citizen Kane, is downright repugnant. And racist.

I'm trying to figure out where it is you think I said all of that, and how I'm being "racist" to other Chinese people.

If you show Citizen Kane and Transformers to the average millennial, or let's go even a step further, to the average Chinese moviegoer, which one do you think they are going to tell you is better?

Here you go. It's clear you're equating the denseness and unsophistication of American Millennials to the average Chinese moviegoer.

That's offensive to the Chinese. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

The Wook

Here you go. It's clear you're equating the denseness and unsophistication of American Millennials to the average Chinese moviegoer.

That's offensive to the Chinese. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

The Wook

Last public post on this: your interpretation (that I somehow said people in China were "not sophisticated enough" to appreciate Citizen Kane) does not actually logically follow from the sentence you are quoting. Nor was that the intent of said sentence.

Last public post on this: your interpretation (that I somehow said people in China were "not sophisticated enough" to appreciate Citizen Kane) does not actually logically follow from the sentence you are quoting. Nor was that the intent of said sentence.

Be careful playing the race card, fella. It can come back and blow up in your face.

The Wook

The Wook has a point. It's there in black and white. If it's been mis interpretated then clarification is needed

Oh FFS, I was honestly trying to drop this out of the thread and talk to wook via pm.

But fine.

What I actually said in full was this:
If you show Citizen Kane and Transformers to the average millennial, or let's go even a step further, to the average Chinese moviegoer, which one do you think they are going to tell you is better? I'm not convinced of a Citizen Kane landslide.

There are two basic underlying assumptions which, by definition, does not allow Wook's interpretation of that comment that Chinese people lack the capacity to appreciate Citizen Kane. The first is that I qualified as the "average" millennial vs the "average" Chinese moviegoer. An average, by definition, is a sampling of a larger group and are meant to represent variance in whatever you are averaging. The second underlying assumption is "I'm not convinced of a landslide," which wook cut out. A landslide victory, as political jargon, indicates an overwhelming victory. While the implication is that a majority would probably find Transformers a more entertaining film, by definition you have a segment that preferred Kane. And being that my wording was "not a landslide," that implies something along the lines of 60/40 or 55/45. So if the direct implication of my sentence is that 40% like Citizen Kane, it literally cannot be true that what I wrote somehow also implies that Chinese people at large aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate Citizen Kane.

There is nothing in my statement which suggests that Chinese people are not sophisticated enough to appreciate Citizen Kane, period.

Last edited:

Making Star Wars less fun, I think, was a bad move. I hated Rogue One. And while it wasn't Miller and Lord, I loved Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2... would it be so bad if that was a Star Wars story? That was comedic... and had heart... and was bad ass... and the closest I've felt to watching a sci-fi action movie that got me as excited as Star Wars.

I dunno... Personally, I don't want Star Wars to turn into Guardians of the Galaxy. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Guardians, but I really don't want Star Wars to take that kind of turn towards comedy. I like the humor style of ANH and ESB, but even back in 1983 I remember coming out of the theaters after seeing Jedi, and although I enjoyed it, I was thinking I really didn't like the turn it took. It seemed like they were just dumbing it down for the little tykes. I always thought of SW as for all ages, not just something filled with cute teddy bears and slobbering burping Muppets. Sure, the space battles, speeder bikes and lightsaber fights were awesome, but I felt the rest of the movie was kind of a waste.

Of course, it is all subjective. By the time Jedi came out I wasn't an innocent 12 year old anymore. By then I was 18 and kiddie stuff was not what I wanted. After the grittiness of Empire I was hoping Jedi would be even more so.....But that's just me. I don't have any kids (never wanted any) so I really don't care if kids like it. However, I understand they are not making these movies for me but for the masses. So I just have to take the hand they deal me.

I put Rogue One as the third best movie of the entire franchise; ANH ESB R1. Personally, I would've loved an R rated "Saving Private Ryan" Rogue One, but I know that would never happen.

It's one thing to take something serious, like a war drama and imbed some humor to take the edge of the serious tone of the material. Some of the best moments are the lighter more human moments, where people let their guard down and show their more endearing side given the moments at hand. It's quite another thing to make light of the entire subject matter. It's like the difference between The Great Escape and Hogan's Heroes.

From what I've been reading about the production's direction the last few days, it seems the directors were taking the movie into the comedy heavy direction, and people were concerned. I completely understand why they wanted to change directors. If the movie wasn't written as a comedy, and the directors felt ad libbing and other changes to the script were an appropriate way of injecting their ideas of humor into the movie, I can see the disconnect.

It's one thing to take something serious, like a war drama and imbed some humor to take the edge of the serious tone of the material. Some of the best moments are the lighter more human moments, where people let their guard down and show their more endearing side given the moments at hand. It's quite another thing to make light of the entire subject matter. It's like the difference between The Great Escape and Hogan's Heroes.

From what I've been reading about the production's direction the last few days, it seems the directors were taking the movie into the comedy heavy direction, and people were concerned. I completely understand why they wanted to change directors. If the movie wasn't written as a comedy, and the directors felt ad libbing and other changes to the script were an appropriate way of injecting their ideas of humor into the movie, I can see the disconnect.

A better analogy would be Stalag 17 and Hogan's Heroes. The producers of the former even sued the producers of the latter for allegedly stealing the premise of their film. They lost, as a judge deemed the comedy-heavy tone of Hogan's Heroes to be substantially different from the deadly serious Stalag 17 drama--which is a great film, btw, starring Bill Holden and Otto Preminger.

But your point is well taken, and I agree with your post.

The Wook

Another good article providing more context.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619
Sounds like a huge mess.

I just read that as well. Sounds like they really tried with L&M, but it just wasn't happening. How well this movie turns out still remains to be seen, but hopefully this will help.

Oh FFS, I was honestly trying to drop this out of the thread and talk to wook via pm.

But fine.

What I actually said in full was this:

There are two basic underlying assumptions which, by definition, does not allow Wook's interpretation of that comment that Chinese people lack the capacity to appreciate Citizen Kane. The first is that I qualified as the "average" millennial vs the "average" Chinese moviegoer. An average, by definition, is a sampling of a larger group and are meant to represent variance in whatever you are averaging. The second underlying assumption is "I'm not convinced of a landslide," which wook cut out. A landslide victory, as political jargon, indicates an overwhelming victory. While the implication is that a majority would probably find Transformers a more entertaining film, by definition you have a segment that preferred Kane. And being that my wording was "not a landslide," that implies something along the lines of 60/40 or 55/45. So if the direct implication of my sentence is that 40% like Citizen Kane, it literally cannot be true that what I wrote somehow also implies that Chinese people at large aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate Citizen Kane.

There is nothing in my statement which suggests that Chinese people are not sophisticated enough to appreciate Citizen Kane, period.

Sophistication has nothing to do with the success, or lack there of, of certain movies in the Chinese market. The reason why movies like Transformers do well in China is for 2 reasons.

1) It's something different from what's produced domestically, and face it, Hollywood/US is generally considered the place where some of the best movies are made and for a market previously closed to Hollywood movies it creates a demand for these new movies.

2) This point relates to point 1 and that is while the Chinese are hungry for American movies not all movies are going to appeal to a Chinese audience because of cultural differences. Something like Citizen Kane might not do well in China because it might not translate well/properly into Chinese and as a result a lot of what makes it such a good movie here might get lost in the translation, not to mention that a Chinese audience just might not relate to it because of cultural differences. But when you get a big action movie like Transformers where the action if the focus of the movie, and not the plot, that translates over perfectly. Everyone understands a big explosion no matter what language they speak and an explosion is the same in every culture.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back