Topher Grace Recut The Hobbit Trilogy Into A Two-Hour Movie

There's no way this would ever be released. Officially or otherwise. Besides being illegal, it would be extremely poor form.

I'd love to see what he was able to salvage from the Hobbit trilogy. I absolutely hated it, having watched the animated movie many, many times in my life, and read the book just as many times. There was just so much "artistic expression" that added new stuff that it overshadowed the actual story so many were familiar with.

I think Peter Jackson did great things with The Lord of the Rings, but seriously dropped the ball on The Hobbit.

I mostly liked the theatrical cut of Unexpected Journey but the other two was a nosedive for me sans Cumberbatch's Smaug. I know there is a lot of material taken from LOTR's appendix but the movies do feel bloated and therefore they lost focus a lot of times and become kinda bland. I heard of the Star Wars re-edit, but never took the effort to seek it out. Never ever knew that it was not available anywhere. Fan edits have been around for ages, so it wouldn't be too new a thing...so I don't exactly understand the newsworthyness of this. "I made something really nice at home, but I'm not showing it to anyone :p"...okay...?

There are quite a few condensed fan-edits of the Hobbit "trilogy", and many have been out for years.
Most edits omit the necromancer subplot that was not in the original book. Other edits have the necromancer subplot as its own separate movie.

BTW. Back right after it had been announced that it would be a trilogy, I started a thread on a fan editing-forum for listing sources to use and for sharing ideas on how to edit it, just to help things speed along .... :p
I considered using narration from an audio book or radio drama, more similar to the form of the novel. I have not seen any edit like that, but then I have not been active in that community for many years now.

Last edited:
I've been in the middle of this process for a year or two now, on and off. I am trying to make it exactly "by the book," and that in and of itself is presenting its own challenges. There are transitions, for instance, where the time of day changes. For instance, at the end of film 1 they're looking at the Lonely Mountain, and then at the start of film 2 it's dark and they're running from wargs/Beorn. Cutting from one to the other is jarring because of continuity issues. Just an example.

Anyway.

SB

I never thought the original trilogy was "bloated." It's a long story arc where the enjoyment is in the depiction of a vast landscape of people and events. You could also boil down Lawrence of Arabia to a 30 minute short if it was just about the basic plot but what would be the point?

Anybody who re-brands themselves as "Topher" as opposed to his given name Cristopher needs to be smacked for being a d-bag.

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add. :lol

At least in the Seattle area, Christopher (and variations) are quite common. If you have multiple people in a group with the same name, they often will take different nicknames. You got 3 Christophers, one stays Christopher, one gets Chris, and Topher is left for the third.

Man, I only just got that topher is part of the word christopher. :lol
I can't decide if that makes the name less stupid, or more. ;)

He said once that he prefers to be called by his full name. Whenever someone referred to him as Chris he would say "topher" to complete the name, which led to people just calling him Topher and it stuck. His use of the name professionally may be a SAG thing.

I watched this edit a couple of months back and enjoyed it far more than the films in their original format. It's still not perfect, but it felt far less bloated and dragged out

http://www.maple-films.com/downloads.html

WOW, that was a joy to watch. Only out of place scene was the one when Smaug broke out of the gate of Erebor covered in gold. They could have trimmed that down, and it would have been a better transition.

I really feel this is a worthy version of The Hobbit.

Man, I only just got that topher is part of the word christopher. :lol
I can't decide if that makes the name less stupid, or more. ;)
Ha, didn't realize that as well. Always wondered who names their kid, topher. If I knew someone called that, I would call them, Top-Her.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back