Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

3D scan of tiger head...

tiger scan.jpg

Looks great, now, are you going to Pee-wee-fy it by omitting the jewel and smoothing out the cheeks?

That's what I hope to do. I was really torn about which one to scan, the original or my Pee-Wee style reproduction, but I thought if all else fails, someone can take the 3D printed version and Pee-Wee-fy it themselves. My reproduction lacks the detail of the original, too.

I would lend you the mic hook if you are interested, and when they get made you can mail me back the original and some extras. They were definitely made for a kids bike because they don't fit on that well, but still usable.

I did receive the 3D printed tiger siren housing, minus the tiger head. I was extremely pleased with the detail and how the parts went together. Future versions of the housing will have an opening in which to insert the tiger head.

DSCN1626.JPGDSCN1603.JPGDSCN1606.JPGDSCN1607.JPGDSCN1608.JPGDSCN1611.JPGDSCN1615.JPGDSCN1617.JPGDSCN1623.JPGDSCN1605.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1621.JPG
    DSCN1621.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN1609.JPG
    DSCN1609.JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 88
I don't think that I will be able to re-contour the tiger head with the software that I have. One option that I am exploring is just cutting out the jewel (see pic below). My thinking is that with some modeling clay, someone can then easily re-contour the head themselves for the Pee-Wee version, or they could possibly just put a bicycle jewel in the hole and light it from behind like in the original siren. Does anyone know how easy the jewels are to remove from the bicycle/license plate jewel studs?

siren_assy_exploded.jpg

Super job, PWF:

The mudflap jewels with back tabs are simple to remove. (Once you spread the tabs and pull off the metal piece, the jewel isn't even attached.) The ones with bolt backs would be harder but I would think metal snips and pliers would do the trick to get it out of the casing. You'd likely have to file off the lip hidden by the metal to get it to fit in the tiger's forehead.

If you scanned an already modified lion-head, you'd have both options.

Regardless, this is all looking really great. -- BB

You are planning to mold it and cast copies, right? 3D printing each kit is not very efficient. So I would resculpt a print and mold it.

I was just planning to place the models on a site like Shapeways, and people can just order the 3D printed parts from them. Compared to a resin casting, the 3D prints have greater detail and are lighter and stronger.

I did receive some siren microphone handlebar brackets in the mail today. They are laser cut from 20ga stainless steel. I should mention they only work for the metal microphone clips. The slot needs opened more for the plastic clips.

mic_bracket3.jpg mic_bracket.jpg

I did get a chance to try dyeing plastic. I purchased some 2-3/4" bath bomb molds to use as radar domes in the tiger siren. They fit quite nicely in the backplate hole. The first thing I tried was Rit dye. It turned the dome pink! I then tried iDYE Poly. Much better result.

radar domes.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back