Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Also, after lightly sanding, I gave the insignia a light dusting of spray paint. I know the old trick of soaking in tea, but these are polyester, so I needed more drastic measures. Colors were just what I had on hand, flat black, Desert Yellow and Krylon Ocean Breeze (the same color I used for the NOSTROMO lettering on the back of the jacket). I used a very light touch, but the difference is pretty dramatic.

nostromo patch.jpg

The pilots wings I left brand new, as I wanted them to be as shiny as possible.

Last edited:
Guess I'll dump some more Nostromo photos.

Various pilots wings insignia. Top is the one I went with, and it's sewn on. This was from Argentina via eBay. It was kind of spendy, I think about $18 with shipping, but it's a good match fr the original. It took awhile to arrive as well, about two weeks. The silver threaded example by contrast was $4 shipped from Thailand. I know that style gets a lot of scorn, but I like the way they look, and you can't beat the price.

wings nostromo.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, (being a thread hog here, apologies) my crew shirt. Zippy Ziggy brand, I stumbled across on eBay. The cut looks pretty close, the collar is right and it's my size, but most important it already has the correct snaps. That will save me some time. So Zippy Ziggy might be a good brand to modify.

Nostromo Shirt eBay.png

Here it is so far. Removed the pockets. As you can see I'm going with the dark ship's-insignia here. Not screen correct perhaps, but I like the way the patch looks, so I wanted to use one. I'll post again when finished, but I've got a lot of work to go on this.

shirt nostromo.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all-

I recently finished my Nostromo jacket, Kane's version. I found the info on these pages to be a great help, so I thought I'd share photos of the finished item.

I started with the grey/green jacket. I made a few changes on the lacing panels as I didn't think the screen accurate panels were very convincing in person. Pilots wings are lithe blue from an Argentinian Ebay seller.

View attachment 645017

I had some trouble with my stencil, but since I was going for the "Battered Surplus" look I think its ok. I may work on that more at a later date.

View attachment 645018

I'm in the process of making a crew uniform shirt, but as for now I just wanted to share my results and thank the forum members for their help.

That jacket is awesome!!!!! Fantastic work!!

I know there's been a lot of talk about Lambert's jacket in years past, so here's something you all might be interested in--

I stumbled across this jacket at Old Navy recently. It's clearly not an exact match, but considering that I've never seen another jacket that's even remotely close to what Lambert wore on screen, it's definitely close enough to work...

Capture.PNG

I've just finished making a Chestburster and so I'm on the hunt for some good photos for Kane's outfit during the scene. I've scrolled through a bunch of pages here but not really seen much of Kane.

Is there any decent reference stuff I may have missed here for him?
This is what I've tracked down so far in the way of photos.
32080944.jpg kane_alien.jpgBest photos I could find of his white shirt with the pattern sewn into it.

alienparker2.jpg Not Kane obviously, but were all their pants the same?
I'm not able to find a decent photo of Kane's pants, just some group photos where he seems to be wearing a different shirt.
919bf9e70ef2c723b4139761c97da4b5.jpgnostromo crew.jpg
Abrettbase.jpg The other next best for pants I could ind. I'm pretty sure they're originals.

Anyhow any help would be amazing. (I haven't even started on the shoes or belt research yet)

He wears the same type tee shirt as Lambert.
Has a band across the chest and IIRC a pocket.
It also has the small wing patch.

Pants are the same as the one's you posted.
They all had the same pants, Lambert's being shorter because of her cowboy boots.

Kane wears black leather combat style boots. ( I posted pix of them in the CB scene some time back in this thread)
There are also pix of his belt in this thread.

Hi Octipig,

I've just a couple of questions about the lacing:
What's the spacing to get the right amount of loops down the jacket sleeve?
How do you then attach it to the jacket? It looks like fabric adhesive might have been used in the movie (going on recent-ish pics of the actual costumes, where they're falling off), but I other than hand-sewing I can't imagine how it's done without opening up a seam.

Nextly, the reason I'm wondering about the spacing is that I found a place where they stock a similar kind of looped tape to what we're after:
thumbs_et15_0.jpg

If you take out the D-rings it looks pretty close. Not sure if it's available in olive drab or dark green though. White might be possible, if it'll dye.
I'm a bit wary of posting the source just now, due to the 'Star Wars Effect' and the fact that their prices aren't listed on the site. I'll see what they say on colours & availability first.

Hi Octipig,

I've just a couple of questions about the lacing:
What's the spacing to get the right amount of loops down the jacket sleeve?
How do you then attach it to the jacket? It looks like fabric adhesive might have been used in the movie (going on recent-ish pics of the actual costumes, where they're falling off), but I other than hand-sewing I can't imagine how it's done without opening up a seam.

Sorry for the delay, I had trouble accessing my account-
I used 1/2" finishing ribbon. At least that's what I think it's called. I cut pieces about one inch long, folded them over to make a loop, and sandwiched between a longer strip of ribbon and a piece of canvas webbing. 1/2" ribbon, then 1/2" space. 18 loops = 18" over all length.

It's more complicated than a screen correct lace panel, but to my eye it's more convincing. It's tedious, and I started a second set as I wasn't completely happy with the stencil on my first jacket.

Also, as I'm working on a uniform shirt with the dark blue ship's insignia, I thought I'd post this:

parker.jpg.png

It's a continuity error, Parker's shirt sported the light blue insignia until Kane's chest burst, after which he is rocking the dark blue insignia.

Last edited:
Hi all, i have a non-padded pen pocket ( i removed it cleanly as i was using the jacket for a side project) from a green MK3 if anyone would want it to replace a padded one for a more SA look. It came from an '84 jacket so not sure why it is un-padded but.....anyhow, drop me a line if you would like it.

**EDIT** The pocket will be winging it's way to the U.S., sorry to anyone who missed out!

Last edited:
Polo replica

Just thought I'd post a recent find. It's a khaki replica MK3 made by Polo. They got it down quite well but there is no lining so it's good for warmer climates like SoCal. It does not have a hood either.

zpsovr4bidv_zpsna4n7adc.jpg
zpsuwfceif4_zpsrjvb1j1t.jpg

The only departure from the original is the strange non-padded sleeve pocket.

zpsjemjefle_zps9nlbaz1d.jpg

Not sure if I'll make an ALIEN or WY inspired jacket or not.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back