New Wampa Cave screengrab

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Nate D in the FB Graflex addict group has a hook up with one of the fan groups who are doing a private 4k scan of an original ESB film print. He managed to get a still of the Wampa cave saber...

42550742730_d55230e9de_o.jpg

This is a stunt saber so maybe they were shaved down on purpose, but I think this def confirms that the t-track profiles are different on the lower left, whether that's intentional, from wear and abuse, or from it being two different t-track sources I don't know...

Sure does look like different track, check out the profile underneath them!! Really different underside profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate D in the FB Graflex addict group has a hook up with one of the fan groups who are doing a private 4k scan of an original ESB film print. He managed to get a still of the Wampa cave saber...

View attachment 840135

This is a stunt saber so maybe they were shaved down on purpose, but I think this def confirms that the t-track profiles are different on the lower left, whether that's intentional, from wear and abuse, or from it being two different t-track sources I don't know...

Is it just me or are the rivets two different sizes?

I have a few copies of the Despecialized Editions on Blue Ray. Picture quality is fantastic! I ooogle over all the details I can see of the props & costumes on my 4k TV :love.

However, you're saying 4k at the source? I'm definitely gonna be needing that!
Even though my TV, 4k BlueRay player, & receiver all upgrade to 4k... I'd still love a 4k copy of the original trilogy!

Remember hearing the grips were cast to make more

What if these “fat tracks” are the casts? And used to replace broken or fallen track?

Remember hearing the grips were cast to make more

What if these “fat tracks” are the casts? And used to replace broken or fallen track?

Yep !

In addition, it is said, that with the cold weather on stage in norway, the grips have taken off and were fixed with screws (Or rivet :D).
Maybe its glue residu of some attempts.

Yep !

In addition, it is said, that with the cold weather on stage in norway, the grips have taken off and were fixed with screws (Or rivet :D).
Maybe its glue residu of some attempts.

If it is true and these are casts... what the hell did they do to the mold to make them so fat!?

Still can’t tell if there are screws or rivets in those grips... :(

As a matter of fact, does it look like whatever fastener was there, on some of the right-hand side grips, were removed, leaving either a rust-ring residue, or portions of the naked, unpainted grip material underneath?

Last edited:
If it is true and these are casts... what the hell did they do to the mold to make them so fat!?

I don't think these are cast, or at least not in the wampa cave scene.

I believe we can see some trace of non regular cutting (saw, dremel)

Capture.PNG

On a side note...while it looks great, let’s admt that with the solid plastic grips on the GRAFLEX, it is ergonomically TERRIBLE in design and not the most comfortable thing in the world to hold, let alone to swing around and duel with for hours at a time. I am sure Mark Hamill’s hands were not feeling too good at the end of filming each day. I can see why they opted for soft and shallow stunt grips on the GRAFLEX for the new films.

Last edited:

View attachment 840251

good eye, I saw those too.

I think I was the one that posited cast grips, mainly for the ones at 4 and 8 o clock. great image, looks like the card was wide enough to fill the clamp too

Perhaps they could have used two different set of grips? Once a few of the old ones fell off, used what they had lying around for a quick shot? 5 of the grips look the same and 2 look like 'fatboy' grips.

Perhaps they could have used two different set of grips? Once a few of the old ones fell off, used what they had lying around for a quick shot? 5 of the grips look the same and 2 look like 'fatboy' grips.

Exactly what I’m thinking...

I know we can’t quote roger... because his memory isn’t that great. But he claims they ran out of track and ended up using a different kind of track that looks similar...

I wonder if this is a prime example..

Then again, roger was not on the ESB set... I don’t even know anymore lol

View attachment 840251

Yes... exactly.... . The width variances you're seeing on the profiles are just buildup from craptastic saw work and not cleaning of the burrs. Pretty sure they're not cast. There may be two different types, I'll have to look further into that to be sure.

Alley, they're SCREWS

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back