Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Just starting an adventure to try make Rey's backpack from scratch from vegetable tanned leather. I'm going to try starting from the raw hide, cutting the pieces, dying and hand stitching. My "supervisor" is on hand as usual.

Initial pieces cut.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7787/26821499940_26f1dcf72b.jpg

Speaking as someone (with sore fingers) who has done this.... bravo! It was a ton of work making her pack from scratch, but I'm very pleased with it now that i have it.

Be sure to keep us updated! I'm anxious to see how yours turns out.

Just starting an adventure to try make Rey's backpack from scratch from vegetable tanned leather. I'm going to try starting from the raw hide, cutting the pieces, dying and hand stitching. My "supervisor" is on hand as usual.

Initial pieces cut.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7787/26821499940_26f1dcf72b.jpg

Just a couple of hints:

The top flap of Rey's pack:

The two rounded corners aren't the same. One is a small radius like you've cut. The other is a longer, more eliptical cut. That's the left side, where it lays over the canisters and leaves them partially exposed.

osdfp7fcp9ojhubpn54k.jpg

The top two shoulder strap mounts are stitched at about a 15-20 degree angle, whereas their lower counterparts are dead vertical. (I wish I had noted this when i made mine, as having the lower ones also on an angle makes the straps lay funny and makes it uncomfortable to wear. I may alter this.)

Last edited:
Your packs are amazing Kristen. This is what I usually make (on commission).

27027636591_e95d05c792_n.jpg

Believe it or not, there are about 700 (all hand done) stitches in there. My fingers are a little more used to stitching but I am definitely intimidated by Rey's pack. It will be fun though, and like you said, I'm sure I will be happy when I am done.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the tips Kristen, I really appreciate your taking the time to help :) For my pieces, I have just cut the curves for the bottom at this point. I left the back piece longer and the top cut straight so once the pack is stitched together, I can fold the flap over the front and cut it to length (and add the curves) so it falls in the right place to cover the canister greeblies. It's all a big experiment, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this first one.

:)

I just got my bandages from Kristen and they are awesome! Thank you so much, you rock!
Also, I just remembered last night that I actually have a friend in the UK. So if there is still enough interest in the bandages, I might be able to talk him into sending me some which I could then distribute to all you Rey's free of charge. So let me know if you're interested, and I can talk to my friend about it!

I just got my bandages from Kristen and they are awesome! Thank you so much, you rock!
Also, I just remembered last night that I actually have a friend in the UK. So if there is still enough interest in the bandages, I might be able to talk him into sending me some which I could then distribute to all you Rey's free of charge. So let me know if you're interested, and I can talk to my friend about it!

Interested in the bandages :)

Whoa, I am definitely interested! that would be wonderful if you could get more bandages, I have tried several things that don't really work!

Hi everyone.
Everyones so busy now.
I feel I'm so far behind.
Hope to have a few pieces to share real soon.
Gotta get my niece over t test fit a few things before final detailing.
This has turned out to be my all time favorites involved thread.

Got my bandages today!
Kristen, your the best, really, you are one Awsome girl.
Im sorry I couldn't be of more help with the bandages, but believe me I tried.

Well, back to work.....

Slowly, slowly -- here's my progress so far:

View attachment 622452

View attachment 622460 View attachment 622458 View attachment 622459

The shirt is cotton jersey, the wrap dress a crinkled cotton, and the arm-wraps some old ace bandages -- all dyed with coffee and black acrylic. It was Folgers, so they smell absolutely terrible, but I like the dirty, weathered look a lot. The pants are made from a polyester blend that was too light, so I dyed it too dark with Rit's new polyester dye (which worked waaay too well!). I honestly don't mind the darker color, though - it's more flattering, and I'm not shooting for Rebel Legion accuracy.

I also made the head wrap from linen, in the pattern of an extra-large, long-sleeve T, which needs some shaping and weathering. The leather backpack is made from the same messenger bag as Kristen. I got the bag for 30 bucks, so it was worthwhile; but if you can get the amount of leather for cheaper, do. The pattern is quite simple and the leather from my bag was of terrible quality, with all of the hardware rusty (already weathered for me!). The webbing is some white cotton webbing by the yard from Joann's, weathered with green and brown acrylics.

This looks AMAZING! I love the weathered look. Well done!

I'm just blown away by all the amazing work being done on here. From people's finished costumes to everyone helping out others with their questions, props, etc. It really warms my heart.

Hm...do I need to update anything on the front page? I think it's all up to date but I'm not entirely sure since I've been out of the loop for a bit. (Yay life distractions. -_- )

Update Time from Thread Momma!

As per usual, I'm barely putzing forward. I had a major setback in that the folks I had commissioned to sew my costume flaked out and the company folded. I managed to get my fabrics back, but the delay lost me a few months of work. But when one door closes, another opens and a certain cosplay angel came to my rescue. She sent me a message that she wanted to working with me on my whole poor-as-dirt status and help me out by making my costume. THE WHOLE DARN THING. (And she's goooooood.) I will fully admit I cried. I've been stuck dealing with health issues, work/money issues, and losing out on my Rey commission. And here comes this beautiful cosplay angel to make my Rey happen. I owe her so much. So with that being said, my Rey is back on track! The goal is to have her done by Dragoncon. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Although this isn't cosplay, it's Rey-related. Gamestop and Loungefly are released an amazing scavenger bag later this year! Looks like a fantastic piece for an Everyday Rey. :)

http://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/bags/star-wars-the-force-awakens-rey-cosplay-bag/130248

gamestop_loungeflyreybag1.jpg

Last edited:

Interested! That would be awesome!

also interested in these, thank you.

I'm just blown away by all the amazing work being done on here. From people's finished costumes to everyone helping out others with their questions, props, etc. It really warms my heart.

Hm...do I need to update anything on the front page? I think it's all up to date but I'm not entirely sure since I've been out of the loop for a bit. (Yay life distractions. -_- )

Update Time from Thread Momma!

As per usual, I'm barely putzing forward. I had a major setback in that the folks I had commissioned to sew my costume flaked out and the company folded. I managed to get my fabrics back, but the delay lost me a few months of work. But when one door closes, another opens and a certain cosplay angel came to my rescue. She sent me a message that she wanted to working with me on my whole poor-as-dirt status and help me out by making my costume. THE WHOLE DARN THING. (And she's goooooood.) I will fully admit I cried. I've been stuck dealing with health issues, work/money issues, and losing out on my Rey commission. And here comes this beautiful cosplay angel to make my Rey happen. I owe her so much. So with that being said, my Rey is back on track! The goal is to have her done by Dragoncon. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Although this isn't cosplay, it's Rey-related. Gamestop and Loungefly are released an amazing scavenger bag later this year! Looks like a fantastic piece for an Everyday Rey. :)

http://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/bags/star-wars-the-force-awakens-rey-cosplay-bag/130248

View attachment 626370

SOOO glad to hear that someone has come through for you! I don't want to see any of my Sister Reys left behind... certainly not THREAD MOMMA!

I already have a Rey Scavenger Pack. That being said, i will prolly buy that because:

A. It's so Darned CUTE!

B. I can't stop buying Star Wars Stuff.

I have this photo of one of the strap attachments in my reference folder of pack photos, it shows how the straps are attached at the bottom. My apologies for not crediting the photographer, I misplaced the info.

View attachment 621842
Hi, thanks so much for the photo of the strap attachment on the backback it's a real help, You are all such fab people :) helping me out, such a pleasure knowing you.

Big pieces of leather dyed, now on to the smaller pieces like straps. The piece on the left is the back including the flap that will fold over the front.

26531565543_f689246c3f.jpg

My fingers hurt in anticipation of all of the punching and stitching you will soon do. They feel your pain.

That being said, i cannot wait to see this done! :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back