12th Doctor - Outfit guesses?

Isn't this his LAST regeneration too, or did they fix that in these newer "Who" shows that I have yet to catch up on?

As for Capaldi, I can see him wearing a dark suit, no tie, and a grey-ish button-up shirt with dark slacks. A refined modern kind of look.

Personally, I would love to see them throw back to the original series' sense of whimsy and fun in terms of the outfit. McCoy, Davidson, and Baker all had great outfits that added a little bit of relief that made them stand out everywhere and when that the TARDIS took them.

Isn't this his LAST regeneration too, or did they fix that in these newer "Who" shows that I have yet to catch up on.

I asked my wife that, and after several minutes of putting our heads together, we think that they might do the following to fix that:

My wife and I think that when River sacrificed herself at the Universe Library to save the Doctor, she somehow gave him her unspent regenerations. So if she used two, and she only had 12 like the Doctor, then he should be good for another 11 regens. I'm sure back in 1963 they didn't think they would get to 12 Doctors, and now that they have, they are going to have to figure something out. Now that it is popular again, I doubt they will end it any time soon.

Well. that's one way of geting round it, but people keep forgetting that the classic series established that Timelords get 12 regenerations not 12 incarnations.
In other words: going from Hartnel to Troughton = 1st regeneration. So the 12th regen will be from Capaldi to the 13th Doctor.

The line from Sarah Jane, taking River's regenerations, the whole thing about the limit being imposed by the Timelords, not biological. There are tons of reasons why there's no limit anymore.

I think that line in SJA was just tongue in cheek. I'd much rather them to a few episodes that get around it when the time comes, rather than regenerate and then throw in a line and move on.

I like Gaiman's explanation.
Also, the Master broke through the limit didn't he? That's where the whole "Too many regenerations makes you unstable" thing came from.

Well even if it was, I did list multiple reasons. And that's probably not all, I haven't seen most of the classic series.

I'd suggest something like Hugh Lauries House ensemble (range of printed tees, open shirt, blazer) and comicbook John Constantine (jeans, tan 3/4 trenchcoat).
Would allow a more punky / youthful approach.

Or a heavier textured 'romantic' look, like Richard E. Grant as Withnail in Withnail & I.

I would definitely prefer old school attire over modern day clothes. Nothing says The Doctor like a frock coat.

I think the regen limit was done away with in a throw away line in an episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures:

BBC declares Doctor Who 'immortal' as regeneration limit axed

Doctor Who is now immortal, reveals the BBC | Television & radio | The Guardian

And, for what it's worth, Neil Gaiman's take on the regen limit:

Gaiman talks 12th Doctor, Regeneration Limit | Doctor Who TV

And this is why I actually need to watch Tenant's and Smith's Doctor's instead of rewatching classic "Who"

I asked my wife that, and after several minutes of putting our heads together, we think that they might do the following to fix that:

My wife and I think that when River sacrificed herself at the Universe Library to save the Doctor, she somehow gave him her unspent regenerations. So if she used two, and she only had 12 like the Doctor, then he should be good for another 11 regens. I'm sure back in 1963 they didn't think they would get to 12 Doctors, and now that they have, they are going to have to figure something out. Now that it is popular again, I doubt they will end it any time soon.
River didn't have any regenerations left at the library. She had already given them to the Doctor in Let's Kill Hitler.

I'd suggest something like Hugh Lauries House ensemble (range of printed tees, open shirt, blazer) and comicbook John Constantine (jeans, tan 3/4 trenchcoat).
Would allow a more punky / youthful approach.

Or a heavier textured 'romantic' look, like Richard E. Grant as Withnail in Withnail & I.

I don't know about that. He's an older guy so trying to dress him young might not be a huge hit with the younger crowd. I've never seen anyone Cosplay "House" at a con. Maybe we should try and dig up pics of Capaldi at a barbecue or something and see if that gives us a hint. :)

River didn't have any regenerations left at the library. She had already given them to the Doctor in Let's Kill Hitler.

My mistake. Is it possible that if the Doctor was so far gone i.e. dead, that his regeneration wouldn't work, so River gave him her ABILITY to regenerate, not just how many she had left?

I think they kept making so many different reasons to regenerate that its finally caught up to them and it could literally be anything now. My wife says there is an episode that explains the regeneration process (either a Tennant or Smith episode).

Love it

Shoes are Dr Martens Affleck Boots in looks to me to be patent black.

And they seem to be discontinued...

Last edited:
Ok, so as clothing.. yes it's smart, spiffy and suits him. I just don't think it has that instantly recognisable quality that other Doctor's costumes have had. I mean, you wear the pinstripes and everyone knows you're the 10th, Tweed and Bowtie? Clearly the 11th. Even casual fans and people who only vaguely know what Who is will recognise those. To a lesser extent, the same goes for 5's cricket gear, and 6's (shudder) coat.
I just think it won't be immediately obvious (except to die-hard whovians) who you're costuming as if you rock this look for Halloween, or the fancy-dress party. Even Comicon might get you a few folks asking who you are.

So everyone doesn't have to follow a link offsite.

doctor-who-12th-doctor-costume-peter-capaldi.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back