Why Luke saber changed from A New Hope to Empire Strike Back?

zoicno

Does it cover it anywhere why they changed the lightsaber designs from A New Hope To Empire? ( and then in the prequels) i guess obi-wans and Anakin/Luke/Rey's?

No explanation that Ive read other than the grips kept coming off so they screwed down the new ones right through them and into the saber and the cleanest way was to cut a slot for the screws. Also they added the tape to cover the graflex name that was barely visible in some scenes. Mainly practical filming reasons from what I understand. The reason for the second red button is a mystery to me. Other folks may have more insight.

Because props take a beating and multiples are made, and pre-digital they assumed no one would notice differences between them. Plus they were all made in a hurry, and you have to recall that ANH had a different production design team and that was before Lucas made a concerted effort to have an archive of materials. ESB had to start over with a lot of props, ROTJ had access to the archives created after ESB.

The PT, TFA, and TLJ all had their own production design teams as well. Things get recycled, but things also get beat up and lost. That’s just the nature of production. Prop teams don’t have the time, money, or patience to obsess over the details like we do.

New toys for LucasFilms to sell at the time?

There were no accurate representations of any lightsaber back then. The figures didn't come with anything resembling an actual Graflex and the only toy lightsabers looked like this:

Vintage_ChildSizedToyGun_TheForceGreenSaberPackaged1.jpg

There were no accurate representations of any lightsaber back then. The figures didn't come with anything resembling an actual Graflex and the only toy lightsabers looked like this:

http://www.starwars-tw.com/toy/toyl...ldSizedToyGun_TheForceGreenSaberPackaged1.jpg

While inaccurate, that is a much better representation of a lightsaber when compared to the Star Wars lightsaber.
The first was just a black plastic flashlight with a plastic inflatable tube on the end.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1119927

Last edited:
There were no accurate representations of any lightsaber back then. The figures didn't come with anything resembling an actual Graflex

Actually the original 1978 Kenner Luke and Ben 12 inch dolls had pretty good Graflex lightsabers: angled emitter, bunny ears, glass eye, bubble strip, and black grips on the bottom.

Attachments

• 562817D1-D46C-4FCD-B3C3-28F145F492C7.png
    562817D1-D46C-4FCD-B3C3-28F145F492C7.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 228
Nice. Obviously I totally forgot about those. Still, even though the comment I was responding to was meant as a joke, my answer still holds that the reason for the differences in Luke's saber in ANH and ESB had nothing to do with toys.

Obi Wan took Anikin/Vaders light saber at the end of Ep3. He gave it to Luke in Ep4. Luke lost it in Ep5. Luke made a new one between Ep5-6.

I think there are a few reasons why the lights we had changed. Like Seth said stuff kept falling off so they decided to screw/rivet the tracks on giving it a different appearance.

But in ESB we also got a clamp card instead of bubbles and a extra red button

Which I personally believe is just a artist taking claim to their new version.

Just like TFA, they wanted something accurate to ESB which they did sort’a. The artist also shaved the knurling off the glass eye, giving it his own personal touch

As of recent we have learned roger Christian didn’t like the grips having screws:rivets in ESB.. so he didn’t like the artists new vision

As of canon story wise, why the lightsaber changes we may have that explained real soon...

It the book “heir to the Jedi” which takes place right after ANH. Luke goes on a little adventure, he wants to take his graflex apart but afraid he won’t be able to put it back together because he’s not strong enough with the force.

He ends up finding a alien who sees his Lightsaber and brings him to a shrine where there is something like it. If my memory serves me correct this second Lightsaber is a Crossguard version

Luke then starts to play with the cross guard taking it apart and examining it. He may have even aligned the crystals.. I’m sorry the book was so horrible I lost total interest.

So I wouldn’t put it past me if we do get a book or canon explanation to why the graflex looks different from ANH to ESB.. and it would be like upgrading it. We know he’s always tinkering in uncle Owens garage so it wouldn’t be out of the blue for him to do so

And as for the graflex in TFA looking different from ESB. That’s easy, some things broke and needed to be replaced ;)

We have also learned that after the Jedi purge lightsabers were illegal and many people collected them. I could see them still collecting them come 30 years after RoTJ. And I can also see this small illegal Lightsaber community having some kind of grand master tinkerer who repairs them

Maybe the fall from cloud city damaged the graflex, and a collector fixed it himself with restoring the grips, and installing a new glass eye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back