"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I actually enjoy shorter seasons.

I find with less episodes the chances of having several duds goes down significantly, and I'd rather watch 12 good episodes of a show than 10 good episodes and 13 "meh" episodes.

Also, with so much quality stuff to watch it's nice to have a bit less of each one. I feel like I'm always two weeks behind on my DVR as it is...if everything I watched had 26 episodes I'd probably have to just stop watching a few things altogether just to be able to stay kind of caught up.

Same here, I find that, in general, shows with fewer episodes a season tend to run a bit tighter. The notable exception to his is GoT where they spend most of the season building and building up and wait until the last 1 or 2 episodes in the season to really show anything happen.

Same here, I find that, in general, shows with fewer episodes a season tend to run a bit tighter. The notable exception to his is GoT where they spend most of the season building and building up and wait until the last 1 or 2 episodes in the season to really show anything happen.

That's an observation I've been making for years, that most 20-22 episode seasons only have enough plot for maybe 12 episodes anyhow, the rest is just filler. I'm fine with getting rid of the filler and just giving us the actual story.

That's an observation I've been making for years, that most 20-22 episode seasons only have enough plot for maybe 12 episodes anyhow, the rest is just filler. I'm fine with getting rid of the filler and just giving us the actual story.
You know what I like? 45-50 min episodes.

Those added minutes allow for a lot more plot

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

One thing that's been kind of bothering on this show is, what's Bortus' role on the Orville? I mean, what billet does he fill on the bridge since his role, aside from being 2nd officer (I think) what's his actual job since 2nd officer isn't a full time job aboard a ship. When not taking over for Mercer and Kelly when they go off somewhere we just see him on the side of the bridge manning a console and reading off things that we see Alara and Isaac do on occasion. He doubles Alara on communications and damage control and doubles Isaac on sensor readings and other general science officer type of stuff.

One thing that's been kind of bothering on this show is, what's Bortus' role on the Orville? I mean, what billet does he fill on the bridge since his role, aside from being 2nd officer (I think) what's his actual job since 2nd officer isn't a full time job aboard a ship. When not taking over for Mercer and Kelly when they go off somewhere we just see him on the side of the bridge manning a console and reading off things that we see Alara and Isaac do on occasion. He doubles Alara on communications and damage control and doubles Isaac on sensor readings and other general science officer type of stuff.

Operations officer? In Star Trek, the Ops officer is typically tapped as 2nd officer.

Ops officer makes a certain amount of sense, although I still maintain that an ops officer should really be in an office somewhere and not on the bridge.

I think he’s generic space bridge officer. TNG may have tried to be specific, but the rest of the Trek shows would stick their cast wherever. Dax as science officer being helm on the Defiant, 7 of 9 taking random standing consoles, etc. At any point any cast member could say “I’m picking up a INSERT ANOMALY HERE on my sensors!”

If Trek got lazy about it, Orville won’t overthink it.

I think he’s generic space bridge officer. TNG may have tried to be specific, but the rest of the Trek shows would stick their cast wherever. Dax as science officer being helm on the Defiant, 7 of 9 taking random standing consoles, etc. At any point any cast member could say “I’m picking up a INSERT ANOMALY HERE on my sensors!”

If Trek got lazy about it, Orville won’t overthink it.

Well, the Defiant wasn't exactly a science vessel, and Dax was a better pilot than most, thanks to a prior host. It did make sense.

I know that was their reasoning, I’m just saying they will stick a regular cast member behind a console despite their role if they need them for acscene. That priority over realism.

"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

It was amazing seeing the guy who's been on star trek AND Stargate finally making his way over to another franchise.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

And that's just his TV stuff. I still remember him as The Cowboy from Innerspace, Johnny Cab from Total Recall and Forster from Gremlins 2: The New Batch, amongst others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AND Coach Cutlip from Wonder Years.

but yeah, The Howling’s Eddie Quist is always the most surprising when I tell people that.

It was amazing seeing the guy who's been on star trek AND Stargate finally making his way over to another franchise.
He's done one brief guest appearance; I'm not sure that qualifies as "making his way to another franchise". Now, if Ildis Kitan somehow becomes a recurring character like Lwaxana Troi or Q, you might be on to something. ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing Robert Picardo become a regular cast member. I think he's a strong and versatile actor who could add a new element to The Orville.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back