Robot mercenary costume

Chinnereth

So I'm trying to make a robot mercenary/assassin costume for comic con, I already have the helmet plans but I would like help with the rest of the costume. This is my first costume and also my first time posting so please forgive if this is a duplicate thread...

Last edited:
See that's the thing, I want the character to be original.

I'm not saying you won't get help, but this is the Replica Prop Forum. That said, do you have any idea of what you're going for at all? Maybe share your helmet plans so we can get a general idea of what you're going for. Even a rough sketch of the whole thing; anything helps.

Also, while ambitious projects are admirable, it might be easy to get discouraged if you go for something insanely complex and detailed for your first costume. It doesn't take much to look cool!

I second what StolenBlackMesa said. Do you plan on wearing armor or clothing? Weapons? What kind of merc are you? Are you going for long range? Stealth? Sabotage, recon, tank? You may want to figure out your character before you begin building armor. Even do it DnD style; just figure it out.

It can work to let function come with form, but the inverse is a tried and true method that rarely fails, whereas the former is driven primarily by experience and a keen eye.

Look at something like the Mythos Boba Fett statue, or even just good ol' Boba Fett. His armor tells a story, from the large dent in his helmet to the Wookie trophies hanging over his left shoulder.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wear a trench coat you need a simple armor (my opinion), maybe you can use a mercenary armor from Fallout New Vegas (or a simple batman torso) and modify it.
And you can make a "power fist" from Warhammer Marine (only one) and a leg with weapon magazine (like robocop). You can find all models in THERPF and modify them.
Or you can use a medieval armor and create a "robotic ranger".
Try google "toxikk".

More info would be useful.

Hope it can be useful (and understandable).

Last edited:
If you have more money than time and/or skill you could also go with a hybrid approach and only make a few things and use off the shelf item like airsoft body armor for your torso and maybe sports, motorcross, or riot shin guards for your legs. Motorcycle armor, whether for street riding or motorcross would also work well for body armor too, just repaint it and weather and you got yourself some cool looking sci-fi armor, if it's hard armor you could even cut out some foam pieces to glue on it to further hide its origins.

Heat can also be a factor. The looks matter, but if you are wearing foam armor under a trench coat then you might get really hot. Which you'll probably drink water to combat that, but you didn't think about how your gonna get that sweet costume that took 20 minutes to get on, off. I've seen some terrible situations in people having to use the restroom in super elaborate costumes. But it just depends on what you want to do.

Thanks so much for the help!! I'm going to try to design my character further and maybe give him a little back story. To help with costume ideas... Thanks again!!

Heat can also be a factor. The looks matter, but if you are wearing foam armor under a trench coat then you might get really hot. Which you'll probably drink water to combat that, but you didn't think about how you're gonna get that sweet costume that took 20 minutes to get on, off. I've seen some terrible situations in people having to use the restroom in super elaborate costumes. But it just depends on what you want to do.

There are two way to solve this problem. One is to only create what can be seen from under the trenchcoat, so no need to create a back plate, nor is anything for the arms needed. If you want to bulk up your arms and/or shoulders you could add pieces of foam with no details except for holes cut into them to help with ventilation. A trench coat should be heavy enough that no one will be able to make out the holes in the foam pieces.

The other way is to design the armor in such a way that it leaves a lot of body parts exposed, think Mando armor or Scout Trooper armor. The torso could consist of just plates that cover the chest and maybe a series of narrow plates running down over the stomach. All of the exposed portions could be a simple body suit or one that has some details on it, but just a body suit none the less.

Ive been doing some research and I think I'll drop the coat but have halo chest plate and biceps I'm still trying to work out the legs and bottom torso

Check out twohornsunited on instagram for some inspiration on wicked Robot custom builds out of foam. You will get a lot of ideas from him. :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back