Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

For me, there's a lot riding on TKJ for those reasons. I hate the PT, and while I liked TFA, I certainly understand the complaints. I personally agreed with JJ and Kennedy that hard-reset back to the feeling of SW was a needed step after the prequels. TFA succeeds on the feels alone for me.

BUT-- much like JJ's Star Trek reboot, now that the tone has been established, it's time to strike out in a bold new direction. You can keep things inherent to the DNA of Star Wars (rooting for the underdog, hope, adventure, good vs evil, etc) without re-using the exact same moments and details (no new Death Stars). Into Darkness did none of thos ethings and was super disappointing as a result.

JJ isn't involved in TLJ, but the same fear is there for me.

I'm hoping, really, that TLJ does come up with something new and it's not an ESB repeat. However, I can also see executives working behind the scenes to get just that. I think they're still too gunshy about really going in a new direction like the Prequels did. That's why we got the reset where we have an Empire and a Rebellion again, O̶b̶i̶ ̶W̶a̶n̶ Luke is the lone Jedi, etc. Doing the same thing again is a sure bet and will make money and TFA reinforced that with the money people.

For me, there's a lot riding on TKJ for those reasons. I hate the PT, and while I liked TFA, I certainly understand the complaints. I personally agreed with JJ and Kennedy that hard-reset back to the feeling of SW was a needed step after the prequels. TFA succeeds on the feels alone for me.

BUT-- much like JJ's Star Trek reboot, now that the tone has been established, it's time to strike out in a bold new direction. You can keep things inherent to the DNA of Star Wars (rooting for the underdog, hope, adventure, good vs evil, etc) without re-using the exact same moments and details (no new Death Stars). Into Darkness did none of thos ethings and was super disappointing as a result.

JJ isn't involved in TLJ, but the same fear is there for me.

Seth I thought JJ was over seeing the entire trilogy? Kinda like how rian over saw TFA

Has this now changed too?

As far as I've heard, there is basically a brain trust for creative. There's Kennedy in charge, then Kasdan, and Simon Kinberg. They basically run it like a writer's room where they think of the bigger movements and concepts. JJ was part of the group in the beginning and helped plot/plan the bigger picture during TFA's preproduction-- which was essentially preproduction for the saga.

From there, individual writers and directors are brought on to individual projects. While the group provides a basic framework, the writer/directors basically need to pitch their own concepts and how they can pull it off. The first round of hires in the TFA prepro days were Johnson, Trevorrow, Trank, and Gary Whitta.

Johnson and Treverrow were given access to everything TFA had going on since they had to build off of it. Treverrow basically wait until Johnson had made headway into his idea

Rian Johnson didn't oversee TFA, he was just included in the process of script development and production since he was going to pick up the baton. That's why he made his request to JJ to swap out BB8 for R2. Once his script was done, Treverrow was able to go ahead with his. Whitta was basically asked to weave John Knoll's old school Dirty Dozen pitch in with some newer ideas and that was the start of Rogue One, knowing that once a writer/direct was found, a second draft would be done.

We know how that script went, and how Trank got himself fired.

Post TFA, Rian was in control of the flagship, with Treverrow being in the same seat Rian was in for TFA. JJ, while part of the overall initial planning moved on to Bad Robot projects once he was done. While he may offer notes or suggestions, he's not sitting in the room any longer dictating overall direction. That's always been Kennedy's job.

Last edited:
...Rian Murphy...

f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44de4eb56039994a47f00d296b.jpg

Oh -- and I forgot to address this:

even the novels and the comics, with few exceprions, are linked to the times between RotS and ANH or ANH and ESB.

Chronologically, to date we have (comics in italics)...
PREQUEL ERA
The Phantom Menace (32 BBY)
Darth Maul (somewhere in here) -- miniseries
Obi-Wan & Anakin (29 BBY) -- miniseries
Attack of the Clones (22 BBY)
Mace Windu: Jedi of the Republic (22 BBY) -- miniseries
Catalyst (21-17 BBY) -- Rogue One backstory
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (20 BBY) -- miniseries, unproduced story arc for Clone Wars
Dark Disciple (19 BBY) -- what happened to Ventress, unproduced story arc for Clone Wars
Revenge of the Sith (19 BBY)
Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith (19 BBY) -- miniseries
Kanan: The Last Padawan (19-4 BBY) -- miniseries
Ahsoka (18 BBY)
Lords of the Sith (14 BBY)
Tarkin (14 BBY)
Rebel Rising (13-0 BBY) -- Jyn backstory)
Thrawn (11-2 BBY)
A New Dawn (11 BBY)
Lost Stars (11-5 BBY)
Battlefront: Twilight Company (6 BBY-3 ABY)
ORIGINAL TRILOGY ERA
Leia: Princess of Alderaan (around here somewhere)
Cassian & K-2SO (around here somewhere) -- one-shot
Rogue One
A New Hope
Princess Leia -- miniseries
Chewbacca -- miniseries
Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
Heir to the Jedi
Star Wars -- ongoing series, some flashbacks to prior to ANH
Darth Vader -- ongoing series, ended at issue 25, continued as Doctor Aphra
Lando (somewhere in here) -- miniseries
Han Solo (somewhere in here) -- miniseries
The Empire Strikes Back (3 ABY)
Return of the Jedi (4 ABY)
Shattered Empire (4 ABY) -- miniseries
Aftermath (4 ABY)
Aftermath: Life Debt (5 ABY)
Aftermath: Empire's End (5 ABY)
SEQUEL ERA
Bloodline (28 ABY)
Phasma (somewhere in here)
C-3PO (34 ABY) -- one-shot
Poe Dameron (34 ABY) -- ongoing series
The Force Awakens (34 ABY)
Captain Phasma (34 ABY) -- miniseries

That's not counting the young-reader stuff. All this over the last three years. I agree they're filling in a lot of the stuff between earlier films. So far the span between the Battle of Jakku and The Force Awakens is largely unexplored, yes. I attribute this to the fact that the films are establishing this era right now. I can easily see them putting a moratorium on stories set there, as Lucas had for the Prequel Era -- because he still needed to develop that himself. But still, so far we've had a bit of exploration into how the Resistance started. We've had a lovely delve into Phasma's history (she's a piece of work!). We've seen Poe's hunt for Luke's whereabouts. We've seen how Threepio got the red arm. We're currently seeing how Phasma escaped the trash compactor. As agonizing as it is, I'd rather they take their time filling in the gaps. Frankly, I'm hoping we get a new animated series after Rebels ends that picks up after the Battle of Jakku and fills in some of that big missing stuff. But overall I'm happy with things so far, and am looking forward to whatever's next.

--Jonah

sigh... this is not the news I wanted to wake up to.

I was in the camp glad to see Trevorrow go, but this is the last replacement I had hoped for. I mean, I liked TFA, and I'm grateful that its relative success restored a lot of what was good about the franchise. I fully admit Abrams had a lot to do with that. But he's also an awful story teller when you get into the details, and his crutch of mystery boxes does not make me hopeful for a satisfying finale to this trilogy.

it's spilled milk now though, he's not likely to be replaced. and who knows, maybe he'll pull it off... but I'm pretty sad about this.

As far as I've heard, there is basically a brain trust for creative. There's Kennedy in charge, then Kasdan, and Simon Kinberg. They basically run it like a writer's room where they think of the bigger movements and concepts. JJ was part of the group in the beginning and helped plot/plan the bigger picture during TFA's preproduction-- which was essentially preproduction for the saga.

From there, individual writers and directors are brought on to individual projects. While the group provides a basic framework, the writer/directors basically need to pitch their own concepts and how they can pull it off. The first round of hires in the TFA prepro days were Johnson, Trevorrow, Trank, and Gary Whitta.

Johnson and Treverrow were given access to everything TFA had going on since they had to build off of it. Treverrow basically wait until Johnson had made headway into his idea

Rian Johnson didn't oversee TFA, he was just included in the process of script development and production since he was going to pick up the baton. That's why he made his request to JJ to swap out BB8 for R2. Once his script was done, Treverrow was able to go ahead with his. Whitta was basically asked to weave John Knoll's old school Dirty Dozen pitch in with some newer ideas and that was the start of Rogue One, knowing that once a writer/direct was found, a second draft would be done.

We know how that script went, and how Trank got himself fired.

Post TFA, Rian was in control of the flagship, with Treverrow being in the same seat Rian was in for TFA. JJ, while part of the overall initial planning moved on to Bad Robot projects once he was done. While he may offer notes or suggestions, he's not sitting in the room any longer dictating overall direction. That's always been Kennedy's job.

Seth thanks so much for taking the time and explaining all this!

Oh -- and I forgot to address this:

Chronologically, to date we have (comics in italics)...
PREQUEL ERA
The Phantom Menace (32 BBY)
Darth Maul (somewhere in here) -- miniseries
Obi-Wan & Anakin (29 BBY) -- miniseries
Attack of the Clones (22 BBY)
Mace Windu: Jedi of the Republic (22 BBY) -- miniseries
Catalyst (21-17 BBY) -- Rogue One backstory
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (20 BBY) -- miniseries, unproduced story arc for Clone Wars
Dark Disciple (19 BBY) -- what happened to Ventress, unproduced story arc for Clone Wars
Revenge of the Sith (19 BBY)
Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith (19 BBY) -- miniseries
Kanan: The Last Padawan (19-4 BBY) -- miniseries
Ahsoka (18 BBY)
Lords of the Sith (14 BBY)
Tarkin (14 BBY)
Rebel Rising (13-0 BBY) -- Jyn backstory)
Thrawn (11-2 BBY)
A New Dawn (11 BBY)
Lost Stars (11-5 BBY)
Battlefront: Twilight Company (6 BBY-3 ABY)
ORIGINAL TRILOGY ERA
Leia: Princess of Alderaan (around here somewhere)
Cassian & K-2SO (around here somewhere) -- one-shot
Rogue One
A New Hope
Princess Leia -- miniseries
Chewbacca -- miniseries
Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
Heir to the Jedi
Star Wars -- ongoing series, some flashbacks to prior to ANH
Darth Vader -- ongoing series, ended at issue 25, continued as Doctor Aphra
Lando (somewhere in here) -- miniseries
Han Solo (somewhere in here) -- miniseries
The Empire Strikes Back (3 ABY)
Return of the Jedi (4 ABY)
Shattered Empire (4 ABY) -- miniseries
Aftermath (4 ABY)
Aftermath: Life Debt (5 ABY)
Aftermath: Empire's End (5 ABY)
SEQUEL ERA
Bloodline (28 ABY)
Phasma (somewhere in here)
C-3PO (34 ABY) -- one-shot
Poe Dameron (34 ABY) -- ongoing series
The Force Awakens (34 ABY)
Captain Phasma (34 ABY) -- miniseries

That's not counting the young-reader stuff. All this over the last three years. I agree they're filling in a lot of the stuff between earlier films. So far the span between the Battle of Jakku and The Force Awakens is largely unexplored, yes. I attribute this to the fact that the films are establishing this era right now. I can easily see them putting a moratorium on stories set there, as Lucas had for the Prequel Era -- because he still needed to develop that himself. But still, so far we've had a bit of exploration into how the Resistance started. We've had a lovely delve into Phasma's history (she's a piece of work!). We've seen Poe's hunt for Luke's whereabouts. We've seen how Threepio got the red arm. We're currently seeing how Phasma escaped the trash compactor. As agonizing as it is, I'd rather they take their time filling in the gaps. Frankly, I'm hoping we get a new animated series after Rebels ends that picks up after the Battle of Jakku and fills in some of that big missing stuff. But overall I'm happy with things so far, and am looking forward to whatever's next.

--Jonah
Like I said, there are a few exceptions, and I don't expect them to fill in all the gaps between RotJ and TFA before the ST is finished. But we already know enough about the state of the galaxy by the time of TLJ, which brings us back to my original point. Status quo. The first order is gaining more and more power and the resistence is losing theirs. I would prefer a different direction to take the series, that's all. I'm still going to support the movies cuz I love SW so much.

Agreed-- kind of like how the Eu was forbidden from doing anything in the Clone Wars era until after AOTC set things up. Not that I read the EU...

please noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw some toy art from Kylo's new space ship and I'm really, REALLY hoping the back ground is all "artistic license!"

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back