New First Order vehicles revealed

I do genuinely have faith in Rían Johnson to deliver something more unique and new. It still has to feel like Star Wars though so it's a fine line. We've barely seen anything from the teaser so far though, and folks are already deciding it's going to be awful. Based on what, I have no clue but as I said previously, the SW fandom sure loves a good moan. If you go into something convinced that you're going to hate it, it just becomes a self perpetuating thing.

I have faith he'll try some new things, but I also am fairly certain that he's going to take a lot of guff from fans over it. SW fans don't want new. They never have. I remember in the early 80s defending TESB from disappointed fans because it was too different from the first movie. Really. I remember bitter arguments about how some fans said it didn't "feel" like Star Wars. I also remember fans talking about how ROTJ was an "apology" for the sins of TESB. I even think the Time magazine review of ROTJ mentioned that. That's why I've always taken PT complaints with a heaping dose of "whatever." It's nothing new. Fans like to think TESB was universally loved when it came out and it wasn't. I was there. Then ROTJ became the hated movie. Then TPM. Then AOTC. Then ROTS. You're totally right about a good moan. There's a lot of painful childhood psychology going on.

I have faith he'll try some new things, but I also am fairly certain that he's going to take a lot of guff from fans over it. SW fans don't want new. They never have. I remember in the early 80s defending TESB from disappointed fans because it was too different from the first movie. Really. I remember bitter arguments about how some fans said it didn't "feel" like Star Wars. I also remember fans talking about how ROTJ was an "apology" for the sins of TESB. I even think the Time magazine review of ROTJ mentioned that. That's why I've always taken PT complaints with a heaping dose of "whatever." It's nothing new. Fans like to think TESB was universally loved when it came out and it wasn't. I was there. Then ROTJ became the hated movie. Then TPM. Then AOTC. Then ROTS. You're totally right about a good moan. There's a lot of painful childhood psychology going on.

You're absolutely right on all your points there. For the people in charge, they're going to get panned no matter what they do. It's too similar, then it's a total unimaginative rehash but change too much, and it's no longer Star Wars. They just can't win. I guess this is what happens when something becomes so universally ingrained in people's minds since childhood. Like you say, ESB is generally considered to be the most liked, but at the time it was judged to be a failure by many. Only time will tell how these new films will sit in among the previous chapters. And as I keep saying, I'm optimistic so far.

Now give us a B-Wing Bandai!
And an imperial shuttle...

It's even worse than just playing older Beatles music. It's as if this "new" Beatles we're just releasing re-recorded unused demos that the original guys made.

The whole mcquarrie obsession is driving me crazy.

I will give them credit for the new trooper designs in rogue one. And after a while I warmed to the U-wing. (But the wings could be shorter)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I agree with the McQuarrie obsession. It's been overplayed in recent years. We have him to thank for the start of many of the designs we love, but it was George that drove the rivet, mechanized, patched, broken down look. IMO all the new designs including the new X-Wing and U-Wing all have undersized weak looking engines. If you compare to the old designs there is a big difference. It's part of the unconscious demasculinization of our culture LOL! ;)

I agree with the McQuarrie obsession. It's been overplayed in recent years. We have him to thank for the start of many of the designs we love, but it was George that drove the rivet, mechanized, patched, broken down look. IMO all the new designs including the new X-Wing and U-Wing all have undersized weak looking engines. If you compare to the old designs there is a big difference. It's part of the unconscious demasculinization of our culture LOL! ;)
Agreed. It was George's vision and the model makers that made them work.

What is the Queen's starship? Is that naboo?

I love the one padme took to mustafar. I would love that in 1/72

Oh yea, the Naboo Star Skiff I love that ship! The Hasbro toy did no justice to it.
Naboo_star_skiff_1.png

TFA was feature-length apology for the prequels. I'm not judging Disney's willingness to take risks in the future based on that. They had just dropped a buttload of money on a franchise that had delivered 3 disappointing movies in a row.

Which are those 3 disappointing movies? I seem to have missed them.

I enjoyed TFA, personally I see it as an introduction to the new characters. Only part I particularly dislike is the monsters sequence (can't remember what they are called) on Han and Chewies freighter.
Yes some of the new vehicles are uninspired but after the awful chromed SR71's from the prequels at least they look like they belong in the Star Wars universe.
As for Rogue One, well I loved it! It's now my third favourite SW movie after ESB and ANH.
It's all down to personal taste, I detest the prequels, my stepson loves them.
I'm hoping that TLJ does not disappoint and isn't a rehash of Empire, which I'll admit to a degree TFA was of ANH.

To me, the analogy would be if the Beatles made three disappointing albums in a row and the fans all got so upset that eventually John, Paul, George, and Ringo all quit in disgust and then four NEW guys started calling themselves "The Beatles" playing virtually identical songs as the old stuff and all those fans cheered, "Finally, we're getting REAL Beatles music!" To me, that isn't art. It isn't brave. It's the exact opposite.

The Beatles analogy is a good one,....although it's pretty much accepted that Georges collaborations & restrictions of others made the first two films the critical success they were,...it was when he had the final word on what he wanted in the other 4 movies,....more so the prequels, that things fell apart

Really the 3 bad Beatles albums in a row didn't have any Beatles playing, just the producer with a synthesiser

J

The Beatles analogy is great for the fanbase like us. But what about the rests of the mainstream world?

Batman Begins took a heavy financial hit because of the disappointment with Batman Forever and Batman & Robin that came before it.
X-Men First Class took a financial beating from X-Men #3 before it.
Mission Impossible #3 took a beating from #2.
Etc.

Change the producers/directors, change the stars, wait several years . . . doesn't matter. The public WILL hold a grudge when a franchise has disappointed them before. Many people WILL wait to catch the new one on video before they trust the franchise with their theater money again right away. Most everyday people are not movie buffs. They do not understand the implications of the change when a franchise gets handed over to different people behind the camera.

Ep#7 was an apology for the prequels because Disney was trying to get the point across loud & clear: "SW won't be like the prequels anymore. We've listened to your complaints."

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back