What to do with an old laptop

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Kind of been all over the place here thinking of my next project. Cleaning out some stuff in the house and garage and came across my old Dell Inspiron laptop. Still works can't upgrade windows on it? AnywAy does anyone have any ideas for a use other than trashing it or paperweight? Was maybe going to mount it on my prop wall om creating and doing a slideshow of all my props and build pics? Any good ideas out there?

I once stripped all the casing off an old dell, including all the screen surround and all the un-needed parts (Keyboard, mousepad, modem). I then mounted the motherboard/HDD on the back, and used a perspex stand with it. Put a bunch of pictures into a wallpaper folder so on boot it would drop into a slideshow.

It looked kinda cool.

I always wanted to do a similar thing but mount the screen into a desk.

Another thing that I would like to do is strip one out as described above, and use the screen showing video loops as a backdrop for a prop in my collection. You could have the Dinos running from JurassicPark behind a raptor claw or shaving can cryo.... or (what I may do), the advertising blimp in Bladerunner behind a BR Blaster.

I turned mine into the guts of an Arcade (MAME) machine.

DSCN8508.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back