Bandai release schedule

Man, there's something weird in the water in this thread now. :lol So to recap, we know Bandai has several upcoming releases: General Grievous, a mini Jedi starfighter, a Battledroid 2-pack, and the Jango Slave I. If we were talking about any other manufacturer and franchise (say, Round 2 and Trek) four impending kits would be a miracle. That's not even considering the TLJ kits were know are coming in the fall. And yet... anxiety!!! "What are they not telling us??!!! Why can't we get the kits we want in the scale we want them?!?!?" :lol

What I'm convinced Bandai needs to do is just release a damn 1/72 Falcon and a large scale star destroyer kit just so that anxious modelers can tick that off their mental checklist and get their pent-up ya-yas out. Bandai could release a hundred other cool kits of Star Wars subjects that have never been done before, but until we have the PERFECT Falcon and that PERFECT star destroyer, nothing else will really satisfy. :$

but until we have the PERFECT Falcon and that PERFECT star destroyer, nothing else will really satisfy. :$

Bandai knows that. And they will wait and continue with their small things till nothing is left because they KNOW WE ALL WILL BE BUYING THEIR STUFF, NO MATTER HOW SMALL IT MAY BE!!! And then, when we need a bigger house to keep all the models we have, they will say, you're gonna need an even bigger house, because NOW we'll go BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ;)

I want a Radiant VII in a reasonable size. Much more than an ISD or a MF. Personally, the MF is the model I would buy the least, as the DeAgo Falcon is already more that I would have wished for. Sure, a 5 footer would be sweet in a smaller scale. But I'd prefer more unique (modelwise) designs.

Radiant VII!

Probe Droid!

Rebel Transport!

Mon Calamari Ships!

Perhaps an Ion Cannon?

Great plan -- we'll build a dormer onto the canopy bubble so that hyperthyroid dustmop can pilot the ship with his kneecaps! :p

My only gripes with their offerings thus far (apart from wanting more ships in 1:72 and more vehicles in 1:48, and none of the other junk ;) ) is something I don't expect them to address, as it would require significant retooling... I'm iffy on the separate colored panels for the Rebel fighters. I know why they do it, but I'm planning on painting to suit -- I don't need them to make that a short cut for me. But my main one is with the Imperial Fighters. The top "hatch" is a blowaway panel for the ejection seat. The interior set shows no hinge or handle. The main entry-exit port is the rear hatch -- which on the Bandai kits is molded as part of the rear hull! Even the old MPC TIE Interceptor snap kit got that one right! *sigh* To avoid massive gaps that one would have to address, it basically means getting two kits for each one that someone wants to do with an opening rear hatch. Plus scratch-building a hinge. The other matter is with the interior -- there are supposed to be those two weird clusters of tubes that stick down from the ceiling. I can do math and scratch-build them, but I'd rather I didn't have to for every TIE ship I'm gonna build. And since I plan to have a Sienar Fleet Systems museum display, that's going to be "many". I'm hoping we get the Bomber (and thus also Shuttle and Boarding Craft), the Inquisitor's TIE from Rebels, and the TIE Defender, but the prospect of having to correct all those interiors makes me tired. :facepalm

--Jonah

The official entry/egress point for the TIE fighters seems to be the top hatch - it's shown repeatedly this way on Rebels, and even in TFA, Poe and Finn are shown climbing down into the TIE (though that's a different type). Also, it has to be the top hatch on Vader's TIE Advanced - there's no rear "hatch" at all on his!

The TIE interior sets didn't show any indication of hatch location at all, did they? For that matter, the rear "window" on the TIE set doesn't line up with the equivalent part on the model... so I guess even in the standard TIE fighter, the rear "window" is a holo display (as it is with Vader's).

I can see where you got that idea though as a preliminary studio model blueprint and some old comics (along with the MPC Interceptor) indicate the rear to be the hatch, and the top an emergency escape, but they're outliers... all other sources like the various cross-section books show only the top hatch. And if we are talking strictly canon, Rebels and TFA are it.

I want a Radiant VII in a reasonable size. Much more than an ISD or a MF.

In general. Yes, we could each tick off a bunch of kits that are high on our personal lists. And many of those kits, if suddenly announced, would bring cheers. But they wouldn't bring the kind of spontaneous orgasmic explosion of sheer happy awesomeness that a friggin' 1/72 MF or large SD would provoke.

Were Bandai to announce today that they're releasing a Radiant VII, there would be many shouts of joy, of course, but they'd almost immediately be followed by many people saying, "Whoa! Does this mean that Bandai is finally doing larger scale and capital ships? Does this mean we're finally going to get a big star destroyer or a 1/72 Falcon??? Could it be?!?!" It always comes back to those two damn kits. Always. (Which isn't to say I wouldn't buy both in a heartbeat)

It'd be great if Bandai just scratched that itch and moved on.

Whats SO EXCITING to me is that i know Bandai CAN make the perfect 1/1700 Star Destroyer, 1/72 Falcon, 60-90cm Tantive IV & Medical Frigate. Scale up their allready superb AT-AT to 1/48 to go with their awesome 1/48 Snow Speeders and AT-ST. Jabbas Sail Barge, Jawa Crawler, 1/12 Lukes & Reys Speeders, Tauntaun, Probe Droid, my imagination runs free with what could be done, what id love to build. And thats FUN :D

Imo the original Star Destroyer in Studio Scale or 1/1700 with Bandai's level of research, attention to detail, Molding & Design tech.. it would blow the doors of the whole model kit industry, the publicity would be HUGE a real jaws hit the floor SHOWSTOPPER!!! That would be a great "HALO" look at what we can do model kit, for the entire Bandai Star Wars Model Kit range.

By all love for Bandai, I can already hear the moaning about incorrect details when/if they finally release a 1/72 Millennium Falcon. It will never be perfect. Not even when Bandai does it. And if they do one in 1/72, people will start crying for a 1/48 version, and the whole thread can be copy&pasted. No, no.

Radiant VII!
Radiant VII!
Radiant VII!
Radiant VII!
Radiant VII!

Yep, if they do an Original Trilogy 1/72 Falcon it'll have the incorrect cockpit tunnel greeblies, plus the TFA docking rings, and we will all wail and gnash our teeth.

Last edited:
By all love for Bandai, I can already hear the moaning about incorrect details when/if they finally release a 1/72 Millennium Falcon. It will never be perfect. Not even when Bandai does it. And if they do one in 1/72, people will start crying for a 1/48 version, and the whole thread can be copy&pasted.

It wouldn't be perfect, but it'd certainly be a superior kit to the FM that is now considered the gold standard in 1/72 Falcons. And, yes, there would be some people immediately crying for a 1/48 -- there are some even now -- but those numbers are pretty small. They're the outliers. I'm talking the larger unwashed majority who want a good shelf-sized accurate Falcon based on the 5-footer. Until Bandai delivers that, every other release is just one more kit getting in the way of that sweet sweet dream.

But I agree. I'd personally take a Radiant WAY ahead of another Falcon.

Well yes i guess "perfect" is maybe asking too much were all human, but i am sure i will be more than happy with Bandai's 1/72 Falcon when it does arrive. A Tantive would be awesome too. Recently i have fallen in love with the Hammerhead Corvette i would LOVE Bandai to make a 60cm model kit... BANZAI !!!

hammerhead-corvette-rogue-update_453ce60b.jpeg

I would love a Hammerhead and especially the 4-winged Imperial cargo shuttle from Rogue One. But I've heard Disney was a little disappointed with the performance of Rogue One, particularly as it's translated into toy sales--and with another new SW movie due in just a few months I doubt we'll see any new Rogue One models in the near future. Some of these wants are going to have to be taken care of by garage kits (sounds like there's one of the shuttle in the works and I'm sure we'll see a Hammerhead from that quarter too).

But I've heard Disney was a little disappointed with the performance of Rogue One, particularly as it's translated into toy sales

I can see that, despite RO being the highest grossing film of 2016. In fact, I suspect there's a correlation in the decision to end Rebels so soon. When I pass by the toy aisles in Target and Walmart, I see action figures and sets from TFA, RO and Rebels and I can see consumers easily being confused about what characters belong to what movie or series. And there's the fact that RO was the "darker, more adult" SW flick fanboys have been demanding since TESB. Darker movies make adult fans happy, but they don't necessarily sell plushies and action figures.

In fact, I suspect there's a correlation in the decision to end Rebels so soon

I'm not so sure about that tbh. Pretty sure Filoni said Rebels was originally planned to span 3 seasons but they extended it due to the popularity after season 2. I'll look for the interview and post it when I find it. Think it might have been at the London Celebration though.

I'm curious to know what's coming after "Rebels" ends. The animation team is pretty much superb and it would be a shame to leave a void in TV.

When I pass by the toy aisles in Target and Walmart, I see action figures and sets from TFA, RO and Rebels and I can see consumers easily being confused about what characters belong to what movie or series. And there's the fact that RO was the "darker, more adult" SW flick fanboys have been demanding since TESB. Darker movies make adult fans happy, but they don't necessarily sell plushies and action figures.

Since Disney has taken the helm it seems that the Hasbro line is detereorating tremendously. TFA suffered from bad character selection and case assortments. Super articulation was gone (except from the Walmart exclusives and larger figures), prices exploded. Over-produced figures nobody EVER wants are still blocking the pegs, even here in Germany, and prevent toys from the newer lines from being displayed. The characters chosen for the RO line were much more interesting, the sculpts were fantastic and the paint jobs were improving again (thank goodness). However, bad distribution and too high MRSPs are not the only factors determining the success of a line. I think the interests of the target audience are shifting, away from action figures. In addition, there was not enough time to properly develop the RO line and let it prosper because the next movie is only a few doorsteps away. Just my thoughts. :)

Your museum plan sounds cool, but your making more work for your self then need be. The only person that will even know those details you plan to add to the interior and what not will be you, NO ONE else will notice them nor care who sees them. I started to detail the interior on my first Bandai TIE and I got it done for a test fit I realized you can't even see what was done anyway, so why bother? Not to knock your efforts, but it will be wasted effort and the only who will notice it or care will be you who see's it. 99.5% of the people who see the display won't care.

care.jpg

But yeah. When I was in museums and state capitols and such when I was younger I loved getting right up to the battleship models and such that I'd see and I loved that there were interiors behind the windows. All my other craft in this scale have interiors, and it would rankle if these didn't -- even if I needed to get right up to it and shine a flashlight in the top windows to see. I'm doing the same thing with my larger Trek models, too -- the 1:350 Enterprises, the 1:677 Voyager, the big Defiant... I don't know how many people will get up close and look, but if/when they do I want there to be something there to see. Internal lighting helps, there, though...

The official entry/egress point for the TIE fighters seems to be the top hatch - it's shown repeatedly this way on Rebels, and even in TFA, Poe and Finn are shown climbing down into the TIE (though that's a different type). Also, it has to be the top hatch on Vader's TIE Advanced - there's no rear "hatch" at all on his!

The TIE interior sets didn't show any indication of hatch location at all, did they? For that matter, the rear "window" on the TIE set doesn't line up with the equivalent part on the model... so I guess even in the standard TIE fighter, the rear "window" is a holo display (as it is with Vader's).

I can see where you got that idea though as a preliminary studio model blueprint and some old comics (along with the MPC Interceptor) indicate the rear to be the hatch, and the top an emergency escape, but they're outliers... all other sources like the various cross-section books show only the top hatch. And if we are talking strictly canon, Rebels and TFA are it.

You raise some darn good points... It still bugs me, though. It makes the TIEs more dependent on a mother ship or base for the pilots to get in and out, which is understandable, but does raise some issues. I need to go back and re-watch Rebels, but when they're on the ground (arg!) I can't remember if we saw how Ezra and Zeb got up on top of the fighter they stole. Having the back hatch at least an option for ground landings (on those craft favorably configured) seems like the best way to go. The TIE Defender likewise can't have a back hatch, because of the wing mount. Ditto the TIE Avenger (so far, still only EU, but I'm hoping...). I've never looked at the TIE Bomber and its ilk with an eye for ingress/egress. I may end up detailing both as hatches where applicable, and just the top for the rest.

The other thing that irks is that the top hatch is generally reversed. One of the ANH TIEs has it the other way, with the windows forward (where a pilot could glance up and see what was above him), but having them be in a direction difficult and unlikely to be used, and have that as the standard, is painful to me. :p I'm strongly considering reversing the top hatches on all of them to a more sensical orientation, as I'm going to with the front windows to match the interior shots Per the exterior build, there's a frame piece right in the middle of the pilot's view. And two more at horizon-left and -right. There are contradictions that need to be resolved, and I'm prepared for my solutions to rile the purists. *chuckle*

At any rate, having both top and rear hatches open (where available) should help illuminate the interior for viewing, per Lynn's point, above. ;)

Bandai could release a hundred other cool kits of Star Wars subjects that have never been done before, but until we have the PERFECT Falcon and that PERFECT star destroyer, nothing else will really satisfy. :$
Bandai knows that. And they will wait and continue with their small things till nothing is left because they KNOW WE ALL WILL BE BUYING THEIR STUFF, NO MATTER HOW SMALL IT MAY BE!!!

Speak for yourself. ;) I am not, in fact, buying any of their 1:144 or smaller kits. I am not, in fact, buying any of their figure kits. I am only buying their vehicles in 1:48, and their spaceships in 1:72 (though I am probably going to get the 1:350 Falcon to display next to my Enterprise of same scale). And I am holding onto the slim hope that they might start up a mid-scale of 1:270 for medium-sized ships like Corvettes and such, though I know that's unlikely. I don't just automatically buy anything Bandai releases. :p

By all love for Bandai, I can already hear the moaning about incorrect details when/if they finally release a 1/72 Millennium Falcon. It will never be perfect. Not even when Bandai does it. And if they do one in 1/72, people will start crying for a 1/48 version, and the whole thread can be copy&pasted. No, no.

Radiant VII!
Radiant VII!
Radiant VII!
Radiant VII!
Radiant VII!
Yep, if they do an Original Trilogy 1/72 Falcon it'll have the incorrect cockpit tunnel greeblies, plus the TFA docking rings, and we will all wail and gnash our teeth.

There's a lot of reference for the 5-footer. The ANH configuration is well documented in the Japan-published Chronicles book, for starters. *heh* The current config is in the Archives, is it not? At any rate, there's ample photographing of it from exhibitions. It'd be, I think, pretty easy to have optional parts for the post-ANH details. They may do the cockpit tunnel as a separate piece, too, and have the TFA version available as a further option. As big as the box would be for the main hull, they'd have plenty of room for all the post-ANH variations on just a single frame (ESB+ forward lateral landing gear wells and the gear itself, ESB+ exterior lighting cans and cages, TFA flipped sidewalls, TFA incorrect cockpit tunnel and docking rings, TFA sensor dish...).

But yes, I'd also love a Radiant VII (and parts to build it as a Charger-class frigate). 1:72 for that is, I think, probably unrealistic. 1:144 is possible, but that would annoy me, as I have nothing else in that scale. 1:270 would still be close to two feet long and be in scale with the X-Wing game miniatures, to boot. That last would be my pick, so I could have a pretty model on the shelf that also had use in the game.

--Jonah

http://www.banthaskull.com/forums/images/smilies/large/001_Star_Wars/care.jpg

The other thing that irks is that the top hatch is generally reversed. One of the ANH TIEs has it the other way, with the windows forward (where a pilot could glance up and see what was above him), but having them be in a direction difficult and unlikely to be used, and have that as the standard, is painful to me. :p I'm strongly considering reversing the top hatches on all of them to a more sensical orientation, as I'm going to with the front windows to match the interior shots Per the exterior build, there's a frame piece right in the middle of the pilot's view. And two more at horizon-left and -right.

--Jonah

CURSES!!!

Now all I can see on my TIE/IN is a backwards hatch!:facepalm

and am seriously considering reversing it !

CURSES!!!

Now all I can see on my TIE/IN is a backwards hatch!:facepalm

and am seriously considering reversing it !

Here's the shot, for reference:

markings_cap.jpg

Thanks to Steve the Swede.

The TIE top windows were were designed to be in the rear position early on.
View attachment 729661View attachment 729662

Do you think they may be for ground-grew use? Only thing I can think of that wouldn't require the pilot ot have get out of his seat to see out of...

--Jonah

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back