Sail barge saber in March 2017 WIRED magazine?

Most of them do look straight, yeah. Could be my eyes playing tricks, but I thought I could make out a right angle in there towards the right.

It's a casting, so detail is obviously lacking with the circuit board. Also, not the highest res photos.

The emitter appears to be kind-of squashed, probably pulled too soon.
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 12.32.14 AM.png
I have 2 Hero ROTJ castings that have the same defect. not same saber, but cool casting coincidence
DSCN4198.jpg

me too

I'm still studying this, since the thin-traces are hard to see. Not sure if this is ESB graflex style with straight leads or something different haha

Yes, I definitely see rectangular wide traces (not rounded) and straight thin traces below. This looks exactly like ESB Graflex style edge connector to me.

Roy

That is no doubt a cast of the shared stunt. The clamp and the skinny top ring of the grenade section give it away. Neat ESB style circuit card! That plus the paint job give us a better idea of what the shared stunt looked like before it was prettied up for exhibition. This thread totally makes my day!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Good eye Sym-Cha on the D-ring holes!
halliwax "Ding-ding-ding-ding, ding-ding-ding-ding, ding-ding-ding-ding, detachable nipples, ding-ding-ding-ding, ding-ding-ding-ding, ding-ding-ding-ding" ...wait that's not how the song goes. But maybe Wired should check the medicine cabinet anyway! ;) :lol

Riddle me this Sabermen... If these are casts of the shared stunt V3, aren't the clamp cards cast in place and simply painted to look like real clamp cards? How raised are the traces on real clamp cards? It would make sense of that broken looking corner if the clamp card was cast in place and painted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes. Today, it's a poor fake, just a rectangle of plastic or something with shiny tape in strips. today it's not a real card. This casting shows an actual circuit board, which is why we're excited, it shows what was in that clamp before.

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 3.19.30 PM.png
When a card in a clamp is cast, the details of the card show up in the casting. it's the literal impressions of the card's traces on the silicone.

If we ever get to inspect it closer, we can probably make them out, and discover what type of card was in the shared stunt before.

WOW! THAT WAS FAST! I just got a responese to an email I sent to the editor at WIRED nine minutes ago! They said they can't send me a copy of the original image via email due to copyright reasons, but to keep my eyes peeled for the article to go online at wired.com and that the image should be included there. So, keep your fingers crossed that they put it up in high-res!!!

Good eye on the d ring, Chaim. I bet you that they took this resin casting and used it as reference when converting one of the Yuma stunts into the hero. The black button is analogous to the clamp lever, the control box being in line with the d ring, the shifted clamp; it all makes so much sense. It's so cool following the lineage of the various thin neck sabers, seeing how the design evolved and how different design elements were appropriated. I hope more high res pics show up! I feel like I'm obligated to replicate this, now.

Last edited:
So, I thought it might be kinda fun to do this one as a 3d file for printing. I'm not opposed to publicly releasing the file for people to print on their own. But, I'd kinda like to test a printing out first before publishing the file. Anyone with a 3d printer want to print off a prototype for me so that I can test out my model?
Wired 3d.jpg

So, I thought it might be kinda fun to do this one as a 3d file for printing. I'm not opposed to publicly releasing the file for people to print on their own. But, I'd kinda like to test a printing out first before publishing the file. Anyone with a 3d printer want to print off a prototype for me so that I can test out my model?
View attachment 712326
I'll test print one for you. I've been working on my own shared stunt 3d file. It would be cool to compare.

View attachment 712326

I could print it, but I think it's easier if someone in the US will do it. But it would be even better to have a cast resin version with all the defects included!

Last edited:
I'll test print one for you. I've been working on my own shared stunt 3d file. It would be cool to compare.

Cool. Give me a couple days to finish up the model and make it ready to print and I'll send it out to you. If you have any specific requirements or tips for getting it to print well on your printer, please let me know.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back