Engine vent weathering pattern

Supercoolin

Another detail on the Falcon 32" ans 5' studio models is the soot and grime paint directions when weathering the back of the ship around all the exhaust fans. Since there is infinitesimal laminar flow around the ship in space, the only time the soot and dirt would mark up the ship is during atmospheric flight. And when anything flies through the atmosphere, the soot and dirt patterns follow the direction of flight. They way the model has always been weathered is in a pattern that would require the laminar air flow around the ship to go in multiple directions while traveling in the same direction. The soot trails leaving the 6 exhaust fans would all leave precise parallel patterns, not ones spanning in different directions from the center off the ship, as though the ship was traveling in three different directions act the same time. In all the studies of the purpose of the paint patterns for the Falcon, has anyone found a viable answer, based in physics, that explains the three different direction soot trails off the six exhaust fans? As a retired private bi-plane pilot, the soot pattern directions make no logical, accurate or common sense, and really bug the heck out of me. Looking at the soot patterns off the exhaust fans make me think the painter that day was stoned out of his mind and even my friends have asked who screwed up the model paint job when they look at pictures of the toys and high end models. If I don't weather the Falcon that way, it isn't authentic, but if a go ahead and weather like the studio models, if will look like I am to stupid to understand simple laminar air flow characteristics.

This subject came up on Starship Modeler recently. If you take a good look at the original 5 foot Falcon you'll notice that not only is the soot very subtle, but actually flows straight back. Also the streaks seem to come more from the small tank deck vents than from the large ones.
Top%20Back%20Left%2005_zpsrl4xiufw.jpg

Top%20Rear%2003_zpsfubb86ei.jpg

Top%20Back%2005_zps2dmyqzeq.jpg

Here's a shot with the contrast boosted to make it show up better.
F1000003_B_zpswvykgi2z.jpg

The general discoloration, and the angled detail add to the illusion of angled streaks, but they actually flow straight back. The 32 inch model is weathered a bit more heavily, and some kit builds have really been overdone.

I can't remember which thread it was mentioned on,....maybe General models section,.....because of all what you've mentioned,....the conversation was settled by someones suggestion that the weathering of the 6 fan grilles are caused by start up,....similar to the start up of a diesel train, car or tractor,....where it would blow out, fall & follow the shape of the ship,.....rain & 'weathering' would also cause the streaking following the curve of the ship.

I think that there would be no weathering on the Falcon in atmospheric flight as there must be a deflector system (that dish wouldn't last long) so really the Falcon is flying inside a protective bubble

J

This subject came up on Starship Modeler recently. If you take a good look at the original 5 foot Falcon you'll notice that not only is the soot very subtle, but actually flows straight back. Also the streaks seem to come more from the small tank deck vents than from the large ones.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/robn1/Millennium Falcon/Top Back Left 05_zpsrl4xiufw.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/robn1/Millennium Falcon/Top Rear 03_zpsfubb86ei.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/robn1/Millennium Falcon/Top Back 05_zps2dmyqzeq.jpg

Here's a shot with the contrast boosted to make it show up better.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/robn1/Millennium Falcon/F1000003_B_zpswvykgi2z.jpg

The general discoloration, and the angled detail add to the illusion of angled streaks, but they actually flow straight back. The 32 inch model is weathered a bit more heavily, and some kit builds have really been overdone.

Cool,.....wow,....that contrasted photo shows up the soot direction a lot better

J

Cool,.....wow,....that contrasted photo shows up the soot direction a lot better

J
Agreed , thanks robn1 I never noticed the slight angle of the weathering and its source, brilliant share
Supercoolin , the technical answer I was going to throw out before we saw the real one ,
It looks cool so don't worry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx robn1

the amount of reference materials on top of the incredible models built over the years blended the effect to the point you couldn't see the original intent. You cleared that up in a matter of minutes. THANX SO MUCH!

The angled streaks appear to be correct for the 32 inch model. So if you're building that version it's accurate, but is still more subtle than some builds I've seen.
260_VEH_IA_866_zpsywm07bvz.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back