JayCVenlo's - Iron man Mark 43 Avengers 2 - Sintra and Fibreglass Build

Hi JayCVenio!

Very nice suit build! One of the better ones I have seen! How much did you get done? Looks like in the earlier posts you had more done that what you wore to the Carnival?
The Mark 43 suit is on my bucket list altho id imagine its a very HUGE undertaking! I have done a few smaller props but I envisage if you attempt an Ironman suit it requires some serious commitment! I have weighed up starting with the Mark 2 boots and forearms to see if it's possible to incorporate the actuators and articulating panels into the later Ironman suits. I think I will use this thread as a base for any future Mark 43 builds I attempt!

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Jato,

i definitly have more done than in the picture of carneval.
Although those parts are not bondo'd and painted yet.
I just need two parts to pep. The rest is allready formed. Some of them are fibreglassed and in bondo stage.

If i had to make an honest estimation,... its about 65 procent done.

Hi JayCVenio!

Very nice suit build! One of the better ones I have seen! How much did you get done? Looks like in the earlier posts you had more done that what you wore to the Carnival?
The Mark 43 suit is on my bucket list altho id imagine its a very HUGE undertaking! I have done a few smaller props but I envisage if you attempt an Ironman suit it requires some serious commitment! I have weighed up starting with the Mark 2 boots and forearms to see if it's possible to incorporate the actuators and articulating panels into the later Ironman suits. I think I will use this thread as a base for any future Mark 43 builds I attempt!

Thanks for sharing!

Heey guys, here are some pics of the complet set thats for sale!
IMG_5008.JPGIMG_5007.JPGIMG_5006.JPG

If I had the funds I would jump on this in a heartbeat. Aren't there any relatives that can take the suit in storage for you? That way you can always finish it in your new home...

If I had the funds I would jump on this in a heartbeat. Aren't there any relatives that can take the suit in storage for you? That way you can always finish it in your new home...

The new home will take some time.
by then i will start over. Maybe even better. Ill might start with an under suit or so.
for now the money would be welcome.
i think the price i am asking is fair. You agree guys?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, what colors did you use? Colorcode or something? :)

You would be amazed what you could find if you scroll tru my build thread.. ;) look and youll find exactly what you need :)

JayC, this is an amazing build. (So much I felt obligated to register just to tell you!) It's a real crime that it won't be finished; your attention to detail and quality is beyond reproach.

I'm curious as to your neck/shoulder setup. I haven't seen anything like that around here. I assume the neck bits are from jackie's Iron Patriot build? But how are the shoulder pads attached? It looks like you use a hanging bracket for the front chest off the entire neck/shoulder assembly. This strikes me as a good way to distribute the weight. How is your ability to move and articulation?

I'd really welcome some details as to how you came up with this setup.

And, again, absolutely amazing work!

Beautiful work! I think I mirror a lot of comments here when I say that if I had the funds to spare, I would jump on this! You should be ecstatic about how this turned out. It's a shame it's not feasible for you to finish :( I think we've all had to deal with a ********* neighbour at some point or another ;)

Heey guys, here are some pics of the complet set thats for sale!
View attachment 474785View attachment 474784View attachment 474783
Great to see finished sections against the newly modelled sections & some with bondo on it? I actually headed down to a shop today to get some 2mm Sintra. Would the Sintra be referred to as foam board? Like a tough plastic surface top and bottom and a foam type core & it's quite light? I cant quite tell from your pics if that is the stuff you used. Fi-Glass on the inside and bondo on top sanded smooth? There's a wealth of knowledge in this thread & I appreciate the pics/thread you have shared here.
Thanks again

JayC, this is an amazing build. (So much I felt obligated to register just to tell you!) It's a real crime that it won't be finished; your attention to detail and quality is beyond reproach.

I'm curious as to your neck/shoulder setup. I haven't seen anything like that around here. I assume the neck bits are from jackie's Iron Patriot build? But how are the shoulder pads attached? It looks like you use a hanging bracket for the front chest off the entire neck/shoulder assembly. This strikes me as a good way to distribute the weight. How is your ability to move and articulation?

I'd really welcome some details as to how you came up with this setup.

And, again, absolutely amazing work!

Hi abulia,

A. the neck/Shoulder piece is constructed as followed:
1. make a frame of aluminum strips. Bend 2 pieces that follow the line from your chest over your shoulder to you back. connect those 2 at the front and back with a horizontal strip.
now you have your base frame done.
2. Pep the neck from any unfolder. Yes mine was from iron patriot. They are made of 3 individual pieces so that the neck is collapsable. i hold those seperate pieces in place with sintra as spacer. You need about 5-7mm room for fibreglas and bondo.
3. i made a custome brace over the aluminum frame with a piece of the patriot file so that the 3 rings of the neck fit over it.
(always measure the size of your neck. so that the smallest ring fits. and the lower one does as well)
4. fibreglas the 3 rings still as one piece and the brace. You have now 2 parts, neck and brace
5. bondo everything to satisfaction and trim the neck into 3 rings
6. I cut the 3 rings and the brace exactly in the middel, so that we have 8 different pieces.
7. use a hinges to mount the front piece of the brace, to the aluminum frame. Glue the back place on the frame so that the pieces allign when closed.
Now you can open/fold the front piece to fit your head trough. i used valcro to hold it in place when closed.
8. connect the 6 pieces of the neck back together with magnets so that you have 3 perfect rings again. At the front and the back i used elastic band to align the three rings.
now the neck is finished. If you pull at the front and the back you should have 2 parts, normally attached to eachother with the magnets.
10. glue the neck onto the brace.
YOUR NECK AND BRACE SYSTEM IS READY. You can fold it open put your head through and close it again.
Use foam underneath the frame to adjust the height and for comfort ofcourse. Also put some soft material in the neck piece so it doesnt scratch wenn you move your head.

B. Yes youre right, the front bracket is were the chest is hanged in, using the 2 original screws at the top of the chest.
At the inside of the back there is a L-form metal piece. On the back of the brace is a U form chaped bracked. The L-form piece falls of the backed is hanged into the u form.
That way your back and chest hang on to brace, deviding the weight over your shoulder. (still heavy after a few hours doh...LOL)

C. For the silver parts that come under the shoulder, i simply used sintra, painted the edges and used silver carwrap film for the surface. (its only to fil up gaps so doesnt need to be fibreglassed or painted.

D. The shoulder are attached with the same hinge that i used at the front of the frame, to the silver sintra parts. The shoulder bells only need to move up and down and wiggle a little.

Hopefully this helps...

Great to see finished sections against the newly modelled sections & some with bondo on it? I actually headed down to a shop today to get some 2mm Sintra. Would the Sintra be referred to as foam board? Like a tough plastic surface top and bottom and a foam type core & it's quite light? I cant quite tell from your pics if that is the stuff you used. Fi-Glass on the inside and bondo on top sanded smooth? There's a wealth of knowledge in this thread & I appreciate the pics/thread you have shared here.
Thanks again

The inside looks a little rugget, but its not foam. If you press with you fingernail it shouldnt go to soft.
Maybe search on the german ebay or google and look for: hardschaum PVC. Maybe there are better pics.

Indeed just fibreglas the inside 2 layer normally are enough. And bondo, and sand smooth the outside. There nothing more to it.
Hopefully these infos are enough. If there are some questions (that are not obvious explained in this thread) feel free to ask.

JayC, thank you for the details! I'll review your notes along with your pictures and see if I can figure it out. Very creatively done!

The inside looks a little rugget, but its not foam. If you press with you fingernail it shouldnt go to soft.
Maybe search on the german ebay or google and look for: hardschaum PVC. Maybe there are better pics.

Indeed just fibreglas the inside 2 layer normally are enough. And bondo, and sand smooth the outside. There nothing more to it.
Hopefully these infos are enough. If there are some questions (that are not obvious explained in this thread) feel free to ask.
Thanks Jay for the clarification, I had some old Foamboard lying around here (It's what's its called in New Zealand) and yes the center layer is hard enough that you are unable to dent it easily & it has a thin layer of plastic top and bottom and with a little heat it goes all flimsy but sets hard again. Cool so I am on the right track with the main material!

The Fibre glass and bondo (again we call bondo "bog" or "auto filler" over here 2 pot mix(catalyst and the semi solid/liquid material that sets hard and can be sanded easily)) shouldnt be a problem, as I have built bodykits in the past from fi-glass moulds etc.

I have a few questions, can I PM? & if the they are worthy I guess you could post here to help out others? I plan to do a thread but from a first time perspective & will reference this thread (with your permission) as you have a lot of good info here!

Thanks again! This thread is inspiring man!

Glad i could help.
yes the rest is same like working on car parts. Same steps.

feel free to pm or refer to my project.
together we make magic happen. Every expert on his or her level.

Thanks Jay for the clarification, I had some old Foamboard lying around here (It's what's its called in New Zealand) and yes the center layer is hard enough that you are unable to dent it easily & it has a thin layer of plastic top and bottom and with a little heat it goes all flimsy but sets hard again. Cool so I am on the right track with the main material!

The Fibre glass and bondo (again we call bondo "bog" or "auto filler" over here 2 pot mix(catalyst and the semi solid/liquid material that sets hard and can be sanded easily)) shouldnt be a problem, as I have built bodykits in the past from fi-glass moulds etc.

I have a few questions, can I PM? & if the they are worthy I guess you could post here to help out others? I plan to do a thread but from a first time perspective & will reference this thread (with your permission) as you have a lot of good info here!

Thanks again! This thread is inspiring man!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back