SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

So then, unfortunately, the photographers might not have a case, unless they've got really good lawyers.

If they, willingly, gave over permission to the people in the photos, that makes their claims null. They gave over the rights to the useage of the photographs. Unless these cosplayers had to sign something the photographers provided, detailing the use of said photos...

If I were the photographers, I'd make people sign consent forms, so they know what the photographers images can and will be used for.

The whole "Heroes of Copyright Infringement" thing actually reminds me of an episode of Drop Dead Diva.

A boyfriend thought he could publish some nude photos online because his exgirlfriend had sent them of herself while they were still dating.

Turned out though that it is the photographer who gets to choose what to do with it and, just like a reporter taking a photo for the newspaper, they get to publish it in any way they'd like.

Convention packets usually have a section in them that says that the second they step on convention floor, they are willingly subject to photography. It's subtle, but there and makes sense.
So basically, it turns it from "models an photographers" into more of a case of... Well, a reporter taking a photo of a random person or paparazzi taking photos of celebrities from afar. Basically, all rights are to the photographer.

This changes if it was a professional shoot outside of the convention center, though. Then the photographer would need them forms and the model actually becomes a model.

It's kind of a loophole I think maybe I don't know
Don't quote me, I'm not a lawyer
I just watch law chick shows sometimes :;;

I mean, that part of the packet was put in to explain that the need for model release forms was nullified since you should expect to have your photo taken at a convention. So it was for the photographers to not have to waste their time filling out hundreds of forms and make it so they automatically hold all rights to the photos.

This is usually in most packets, I know it is in ECCC and Sakuracon's. Not sure about Portland and other places?

So... Unless the photos were not taken on Con-center grounds, the photographer already holds all rights to it.
And if the suing falls on the cosplayers, then... Well...

If the cosplayer is at fault, the photographer will still to go after the network/production company since the infringement has taken place through their company, but the cosplayers would in turn be responsible for damages to the network/production if they have breached their contract by supplying copyrighted material.

If the cosplayer has a LLC or something similar their business' insurance company would likely get involved, and subsequently try to recoup their costs etc. etc. etc.

If the cosplayer is at fault, the photographer will still to go after the network/production company since the infringement has taken place through their company, but the cosplayers would in turn be responsible for damages to the network/production if they have breached their contract by supplying copyrighted material.

So, since the photographers didn't get proper legal representation and went off, full of emotion and half-******, they are hurting the community that supports them and their own customer base as opposed to the "big bad studio."

Do we even know what photos were used illegally? That link had everything blurred out.

The only ones I can think of are of Yaya and the Lollipop Chainsaw girl, showing previous costumes.

So, since the photographers didn't get proper legal representation and went off, full of emotion and half-******, they are hurting the community that supports them and their own customer base as opposed to the "big bad studio."

I hasten to add, I'm not a lawyer (I'm a graphic designer and illustrator, frequently working both freelance and as an independent contractor and navigating these issues), but that is my understanding based on the information we have, which to be fair isn't that much.

I will say that if I was a cosplayer looking for someone to take photos of my work, I'd look somewhere else. I wonder if the photographer contacted the cosplayers in question before taking this further? Surely that would have made sense, given that they have had previous contact of some sort.

Just got caught up on this show. All the cosplay fabrication is cool, but it seems there's sooo much drama for people that do this hobby. The 13 year old girl as the sexy poison ivy- you're 13 kid. Don't be in a hurry to grow up.

I can't speak to legalities of it, but there may have been an area release posted at the convention entrance:

Ted-Haggard-St-James-Church-01.jpg

Most cons have something along those lines printed on the back of your con badge. But I would assume the photos in question were done at a private photo session, not just on the con floor.

I swear copyright law should be taught in high-schools...

I'm seeing tons of people on BGZ's FB page saying that "if the photos were posted on Facebook, they could have asked facebook for permission" which is so wrong it is hard to put into words. Facebook does get transferrable license rights to photos hosted on their servers, but this is a formality that will allow third-party apps to display user content without the fear of copyright action, not a permission to sell the images to a tv-show. SMH...

I would agree. Copyright law as well as certain life skills classes should be taught. Most schools have cut Home Ec out entirely but in those classes kids are taught to cook, do laundry, and clean. You have no idea how many kids/ adults still don't realize simple concepts like not mixing anything with bleach and Ammonia, let alone how to do laundry. I remember one young man in Basic Training who couldn't figure out how to wash his uniforms because he was never taught.

I would agree. Copyright law as well as certain life skills classes should be taught. Most schools have cut Home Ec out entirely but in those classes kids are taught to cook, do laundry, and clean. You have no idea how many kids/ adults still don't realize simple concepts like not mixing anything with bleach and Ammonia, let alone how to do laundry. I remember one young man in Basic Training who couldn't figure out how to wash his uniforms because he was never taught.

I second what is said here because I not only have no clue how to cook, but I also don't know what happens if you mix bleach and ammonia. I didn't even know you weren't supposed to do that.
I also don't really use those two on a regular basis and don't know why I would mix them but

Point is, what happens?

EDIT: Looked it up. Why the hell would nobody teach this in any school I attended throughout the years??
(My high school didnt even have home ec nor even chemistry or any class that would even utilize ammonia/bleach/anything for some reason, by the way.)

Last edited:
I had home-ec, cooking, woodshop and metalshop in both primary and high-school, and it is sad to see life skills like that go by the wayside. If the argument is that these things aren't necessary in the modern world, then copyright law and internet "street-smarts" should be a core class in primary school, because few things are as important in today's society than that...

They taught Home Ec back when I was in school and I didn't take the class.
My mother didn't teach me to do laundry or cook or clean...
I always kept my stuff clean, and before I moved away to college... I taught myself basic cooking and laundry. It wasn't hard.
You just read recipes, read books and a bit of "trial and error". :lol

Kids today crying that they "don't know how to do this stuff" is just another thing they won't accept the blame for themselves, and will blame their parents and school systems for not teaching them.

These are basics in life that anyone with a brain can figure out in order to be productive and survive. ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back