Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Easy, have a piece of debris float toward her, she grabs it, and it pulls her back. Would have looked 100% better.

For you. I honestly cannot comprehend the distaste for that shot. She moves in a straight line from where she was flung by the explosive decompression of the bridge... to the hatch. I don't know how else it could have been filmed to convey that. I can't think of any other angle or perspective that wouldn't have it looking the way it just had to look due to what was happening. I'm baffled that this shot, of all things, has so many people hating it.

It looks awful. As I said earlier, it's totally unnecessary to show her using force powers when her ability has no bearing on any other point in the film. She didn't need to be blown into space, could've just been knocked out in the tube with half a ton of flying debris in the attack.

Google or youtube search Leia Poppins, the net is wick with it, it is not a minority of people that are seeing this.

One:

* Can't help the fact that so many on this small forum, including yourself have standards lower than Lando's ability to pass up porking anything with a port hole.

Two:

* The box office seems to overwhelmingly agree with my high SW IQ assessment of this mediocre film.

Oh, good! Another SWIQ reference

Most of Solo's issues... aren't.

I never expected or demanded an actor who was a Harrison doppelganger. I've seen way too many instances over the years of actors picked to play younger or older versions of another actor who look nothing like. Most relevantly, River Phoenix as Young Indy, and Ewan MacGregor as Young Obi-Wan. But they made the parts their own, and I can see them growing into the character we already knew. So I was more willing to give Alden a chance than some.

And I have known since the '90s that if they ever showed his backstory on-screen, they'd tick off the joining the Empire, meeting Chewie, getting kicked out of the Empire, meeting Lando, winning the Falcon, and doing the Kessel Run boxes. What mattered more to me was how they chose to show those, and I am largely satisfied with the creative choices. I like the references to Legends/EU material that got worked in. I like L3 over Vuffi Raa. Much as I would have loved to have seen Han's time at the Academy, I'm okay with that sequence being cut for narrative purposes (and for the cute segue: "We'll have you flying in no time." *cut to Han flying through the air from a nearby explosion*)

I like it. Not everyone will, but the vast majority that have seen it do, a little or a lot. Me? This is one I'm going to enjoy watching over and over. *shrug* YMMV. But I do think the fence-sitters and punishing-TLJ-by-not-seeing-Solo folks are in the minority of those who have skipped it (at least, so far). In the last month, I've seen Infinity War twice, Rampage and Deadpool 2 once each, and then Solo twice opening weekend. A lot of people don't or can't afford to go to the movies that frequently. Or don't have the groups of friends that I like to see movies with that are part of the draw of the experience for me, as opposed to always going with family or alone. But I've seen a lot of "uff... maybe in a week or two, I'm movied out right now" sentiments. We'll have to wait and see, but I still feel this one will be a slow burn, not a crash-and-burn.

https://media3.popsugar-assets.com/...b0f32ac31f_i_can_do_this_all_day.xxxlarge.gif

+1......

I'll take what was good in concept, but failed in execution for 1000, Alex. I knew my post would get a response from a certain group of members.
Predictable.jpg
I honestly feel some of you would watch anything with Star Wars attached to the name and praise it.
Holdo, A Star Wars Story.jpg
Truth is Kathleen Kennedy is failing to admit or recognize the core fanbase of her brand. She has a really tone deaf attitude towards people that she just cant empathize with at all. She wants the core fanbase of Star Wars to be 20 year old girls of color. She has actually made huge inroads with this group, but they aint buying six tickets to a Star Wars film, or standing in line at Target at 7am so they can get a special alternate color Boba Fett action figure. Star Wars fans will eat up ****, but they don't want a film that actively repudiates them. Kennedy just had to not antagonize them, but she couldn't even do that.

Feige vs. Kennedy reminds me of Adam Silver vs. Rodger Goodell with the anthem protests. Silver, the NBA commissioner, clamped down on any protests immediately. He understood that while conservatives make up only 35% of the NBA audience, he wasn't going to **** off any of his customers. Goodell, the NFL commissioner, ignored that 70+% of his customers were upset by the protests, and didn't resolve the issue, further harming ratings.

Anyway, Feige, like Silver, run a big tent and try not to harm their brand among core fans. Kennedy is happy telling middle-aged men to **** themselves, all the while ignoring that the bottom is falling out. I love Star Wars, but she has obviously pissed off a lot of fans, which means even great SW films will fail. Like it or not, after TLJ...some people will never give this film a chance. I did, and I still found it bland and boring.

That being said, in regards to your opinions on the film being good:
I dont like it.jpg

... You'd have to be blind, or in serious denial to not see it.

Most people made the link themselves, I did while watching it on opening night midnight show, by the time I got to the net other people were making the same comparison.

Exactly. When I saw it in theaters, the buddy I was with had to run out to the restroom during that scene. He came back in, sat down, and I leaned over and brought him up to speed by saying "they blew up the bridge, Leia was out in space, until she used the force to fly back inside the ship like mary poppins."

it's a thing a TON of people caught on their own. it's partly from her big dress, the surreal way she moved, and probably even that they'd had a mary poppins reference in GOTG2. It's there. If a person didn't see it, fine. But ya'll don't rag on the thousands of us that saw it that way in the theater :p

I'm always stunned by how so many people forget that that Star Wars literally cherry picks from whatever genera it wants for any scene. It'a about being fun, and I swear to god that modern star wars fans must be the biggest bunch of fun hating buzz kills I've ever seen.

You want to know why the "science" doesn't hold firm to reality? cause it freaking looks cool, or it's better for getting across the point of what's going on. why didn't the empire jump ahead of the rebel fleet that was low on fuel? because half the crud about how ships move in star wars is based on WWII aircraft and naval ships, and in WWII naval fleet warfare, they didn't have hyper drives. why did the ships "list and fall" when they ran out of fuel? because it's what viewers want to see. they want to see the thing go "womp womp womp womp *fuel depleted*" and spin off, because it adds a sense of something happening to the scene.

Need someone to call upon their inherent space wizard powers to survive? that's what they do. And for crying out loud, I like how every star wars nerd was OK with the idea in the EU of luke having done some training with liea to get her rudimentary force use over the 40 years after ROTJ, but they can't imagine that at least some of that took place off screen in the GIANT gap between episode 6 and 7? lordy. gotta hold ya'lls hands for everything.

So wrapped up in needing a movie to be some transcendent experience, that ya'll claim a darn good movie is garbage, cause it doesn't make you feel exactly like you did when you were 4 years old, and watched your first "cowboy-space-wizard-samurai-WWII-heroes-journey" movie. guess what, they're never gonna fill that void you've insisted on creating in your souls.

that said, Solo was freaking great. I was happy with how they managed to touch on so many of the elements that we "know" about from Han's youth, without trying to make the movie a montage of everything from the EU. I liked how when he enlisted, he really DID go to flight school, but washed out after an uncertain amount of time (less than 3 years at least), and ended up getting used as cannon fodder; but didn't deprive the new audience of at least referencing that info.

Sabac just felt right to me, despite the EU having described it VERY differently. I like the nods to having "full sabac" or "minus 2", which are things us old EU nerds recognize as part of the game from the books, but without bogging things down in explaining "this is the stasis field, the cards are science space cards that change value, and the point is to win some all or nothing black jack/poker hybrid". wasn't needed, wasn't added.

Teras Kassi getting mentioned and USED by the two different characters was a lot of fun, and the way they used the cape, the restricted view through the door's window, and L3's reaction of "WOA!" to get across that something spectacular had just happened without having to show everything in detail, is an essence of story telling that I think a lot of folks don't choose to use in their work these days. it allows exactly what happened to play out in the individual mind of each viewer, thus creating the most appropriate and entertaining experience. And then the very intense, but ultimately short and brutal fight using it at the end seemed very appropriate. the point wasn't to show off teras kassi, the point was to have the girl betray her master, but ultimately still "fall to the dark side" (while Han is off betraying his "master" and falling into the light, whether he realizes it or not).

Lord *****, there were times that Glover was channeling old school lando so hard it was eerie, and an absolute hoot. I have no cognitive dissonance between Glover's portrayal and Billy D's, they are one and the same in my mind.

and I know a ton of folks rag on the guy who played Han, but I felt the whole time that his portrayal was on point. he either seemed like a young person that would become the Han we know and love, and eventually was acting like the man himself. There were even a number of times he moved a certain way, or gestured, and my brain would flip upside down and scream "LORD GOLLY IT'S HAN!".

I loved how they integrated the droid bit into the ship, which created the famous "freaky circle color wheel thingy" that's on the back wall of the cockpit. And I experienced a warm creamy feeling inside when the falcon finally busts out of the Maw, and you're able to see her transformed into the busted ass rust bucket we all love, right before making her famous 12 (and some change) parsec kessel run; And I hope you all experience hart warming joy at the sight as well.

Last edited:
I don't get all the comparisons of Leia and Mary Poppins. If the films wern't owned by Disney I doubt there would be any comparing. Leia reaches out, not up to hold an umbrella and floats vertically towards the ship. If anything it's more Supergirl than Mary Poppins and I still think the comparison is dumb. It was cool to see that after all these years Leia became more adept at the Force. Why wouldn't she?

I believe it's a meta joke stemming from Guardians of the Galaxy 2.. I mean the effect looked more like Christopher Reeves Superman but that GoTG2 quote is popular and ridiculous so it was applied to a just as ridiculous scene in TLJ.

I believe it's a meta joke stemming from Guardians of the Galaxy 2.. I mean the effect looked more like Christopher Reeves Superman but that GoTG2 quote is popular and ridiculous so it was applied to a just as ridiculous scene in TLJ.
That is not what happened. Carrie Fisher died five months before GOTG2 came out. There is nothing funny about the scene when Leia (the sister of the most powerful Jedi ever and the daughter of a very powerful Jedi) uses the Force to pull herself into the ship. It's beautiful and angelic.

Sadly I find it surprising that I still can be amazed by the ridiculous things people say make on here.

Last edited:
That is not what happened. Carrie Fisher died five months before GOTG2 came out. There is nothing funny about the scene when Leia (the sister of the most powerful Jedi ever and the daughter of a very powerful Jedi) uses the Force to pull herself into the ship. It's beautiful and angelic.

Sadly I find it surprising that I still can be amazed by the ridiculous things people say make on here.

calm down superfan, sorry I got the timeline of 2 movies mixed up, there's still a lot of edits on Youtube using the GOTG2 audio of that scene with the video from TLJ that help push the Mary Poppins angel and the fact she died doesn't make a ridiculous scene hold more weight or special. If it does for you, congrats. Most people found it jarring and silly.

High-SWIQ chick! (And a millennial, at that!)

If you watch 'til the end, which I recommend you do, you'll see she may not exactly be all that emotionally stable. lol But her SWIQ is never in question. Almost never.

The Wook

ps~I've not watched any of her other videos on Star Wars, so my assessment of her SWIQ is based solely on her take on Solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
High-SWIQ chick! (And a millennial, at that!)

If you watch 'til the end, which I recommend you do, you'll see she may not exactly be all that emotionally stable. lol But her SWIQ is never in question. Almost never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqfUm4F8Ec

The Wook

ps~I've not watched any of her other videos on Star Wars, so my assessment of her SWIQ is based solely on her take on Solo.

She is a real one and one of my favorite Star Wars commentators, check out her TLJ stuff and take on the hypocritical nonsense Kathleen Kennedy spouts.

Absolutely nothing to do with the Disney connection. It's purely the visual, the way she glides/moves is very similar to how Poppins flies, and with the hand reaching out , it really looked like it needed an umbrella in it. You'd have to be blind, or in serious denial to not see it.

Most people made the link themselves, I did while watching it on opening night midnight show, by the time I got to the net other people were making the same comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkJUbYhBMfg

Doesn't look like Mary Poppins to me man. Just doesn't. -shrugs- But hey, you can see it how you see it. :)

Can the people here who want to endlessly repeat the same ****ing arguments about TLJ go do it in The Last Jedi thread. I mean take your pick:
The post TLJ thread is a mere 183 pages long, the last 4000 posts of which are nearly completely filled with the same people making the same observations as if they are stuck in a time loop that just keeps repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating ............ gets boring doesn't it, like reading your comments.
OR
The pre TLJ thread at ONLY 266 pages in which we speculate over how good / bad its going to be then cheer/weep over the result, before going over to the post release thread to do the same thing there.

This is the SOLO thread. A film that MOST of us (about 80%) who actually paid to go see it thought,admittedly against the odds, it was actually a great or quite good SW movie ,and definitely WORTH seeing.
So if you haven't seen it ,then push off into some other thread until you can risk spending £8 or $10 to praise/ validate your criticism of SOLO.

Can the people here who want to endlessly repeat the same ****ing arguments about TLJ go do it in The Last Jedi thread. I mean take your pick:
The post TLJ thread is a mere 183 pages long, the last 4000 posts of which are nearly completely filled with the same people making the same observations as if they are stuck in a time loop that just keeps repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating ............ gets boring doesn't it, like reading your comments.
OR
The pre TLJ thread at ONLY 266 pages in which we speculate over how good / bad its going to be then cheer/weep over the result, before going over to the post release thread to do the same thing there.

This is the SOLO thread. A film that MOST of us (about 80%) who actually paid to go see it thought,admittedly against the odds, it was actually a great or quite good SW movie ,and definitely WORTH seeing.
So if you haven't seen it ,then push off into some other thread until you can risk spending £8 or $10 to praise/ validate your criticism of SOLO.

Very well said, sir!!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back