SE-14r Blaster Pistol, inspired by the Lando poster for Solo

Narshero

Progress shots of the SE-14R I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. Am generally pretty happy with how it came out, though I wish the clear finish I used hadn't dulled the chrome quite so much. (Also, I feel like I need a bigger badder 3D printer; I got a bit impatient with the filling of the piece splitting seams and filing off of all the zits my little MPSD leaves behind, lol.)

IMG_20180504_210031.jpg
MVIMG_20180506_144215.jpg
IMG_20180512_172533.jpg
IMG_20180512_205253.jpg
IMG_20180512_212016.jpg
IMG_20180512_222453.jpg
IMG_20180513_094615.jpg
MVIMG_20180513_103612.jpg

Thats fantastic Narshero, I have just about got my 3d printer working now so i'll have to try that file myself :)

Are you going to make the silencer/barrel?

weblando1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll have to at some point, yeah; probably once the movie comes out and I can get some decent reference images. Not sure how I'm going to attach it, though. My first instinct would be to use magnets so it's removable, but I'd have to redesign at least the muzzle piece to make that happen, and it's not all that far from there to "maybe I'll just make a whole second blaster, just so I don't risk damaging the first one..."

I have been working on the exact file (doing a trilogy of Lando Blasters - finished the X-8 Night Sniper and moving on to the DH-17 after I wrap up the SE-14).

Working off the toy scale and basic details, and the only mage of the blaster from the movie that has been published, I made up a silencer file that threads into a modified muzzle. The latest iteration of the files are on the printer now and should be done by tomorrow. I also noticed that there is a small, black piece that extends past the usual magazine clip, and a different front plate is screwed to the magazine clip. Lastly, it appears that there is vertical knurling instead of the traditional smooth top to the grip area. I have not gone in and modified that in the original model as it will require a bit more creativity.
Poster Artwork showing grip change, front magazine plate and bottom protrusion, and internal barrel on the nozzle:
Lando_Solo_Teaser_Poster.jpg

Screenshot showing side view of blaster in movie to build scale and confirm the grip and magazine changes:
73txbj991av01.jpg

Current digital model for "silencer" and magazine changes:
SE-14_Silencer.PNG

SE-14_Silencer_2.PNG

Some additional high res images of the toy to get general shape:
review_newlando_large.jpg

review_newlando_1.jpg

Picture of the finished X-8 Night Sniper:
MVIMG_20180311_192005.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for this!

Looking close-up at the poster, it looks like the scales on the grip might be flat rather than sculpted, and the vertically knurled part of the scale that's on the body of the blaster might be a separate piece. If they're flat pieces, that'd make modelling new ones significantly easier.

I can't tell whether they're supposed to be textured chrome or something white/light in color, though. Also, I wish we had a photo of the other side of the blaster; there are decent shots of the action figure version, but it just appears to have mirrored sides instead of the asymmetric fire select and mag release levers.

I have been working on the exact file (doing a trilogy of Lando Blasters - finished the X-8 Night Sniper and moving on to the DH-17 after I wrap up the SE-14).

Working off the toy scale and basic details, and the only mage of the blaster from the movie that has been published, I made up a silencer file that threads into a modified muzzle. The latest iteration of the files are on the printer now and should be done by tomorrow. I also noticed that there is a small, black piece that extends past the usual magazine clip, and a different front plate is screwed to the magazine clip. Lastly, it appears that there is vertical knurling instead of the traditional smooth top to the grip area. I have not gone in and modified that in the original model as it will require a bit more creativity.
Poster Artwork showing grip change, front magazine plate and bottom protrusion, and internal barrel on the nozzle:
View attachment 818476

Screenshot showing side view of blaster in movie to build scale and confirm the grip and magazine changes:
View attachment 818477

Current digital model for "silencer" and magazine changes:
View attachment 818478

View attachment 818479

Some additional high res images of the toy to get general shape:
View attachment 818480

View attachment 818481

Picture of the finished X-8 Night Sniper:
View attachment 818475
Grip looks the same.

The Hollywood Arclight Cinema has screen used costumes on display. I assume the blasters are also screen used because there's a lot of really nice detail in them. Lando's cape is covering most of the blaster, so I could only get pictures of the end of it. There are a few details that are different, the biggest being the end of the sight is flared, unlike the toy that was used as a model.
Solo Costumes TJB 40.JPG
Here's the full album of Lando's costume on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154476314@N03/albums/72157669270823848

Attachments

• Solo Costumes TJB 39.JPG
    Solo Costumes TJB 39.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 277
thanks a lot for the pictures!
I wonder if this is a stunt or something, it's very pitted and looks painted. the one on post #10 looked chromed or polished

I think you're right about it being a stunt or maybe just a good reproduction for the display in the theater. Post 10 looks like a hero model.

which is weird because the blasters of the other two characters really look legit! but it wouldn't be the first time that props are mixed up at exibitions.
thanks again for sharing :thumbsup

Definitely a resin cast, but looks quite good regardless. Hopefully a hero blaster would have a nicer finish. Man, Lando is pimpin'!

Awesome photos! I have some more edits to make now, and still only have the silencer based on the toy, the back have from the screen shot, and pulling in design clues from the original blaster design. Here is the current digital model with changes to the original file from Thingiverse.

Lando_Full_Assembly.PNG

Lando_Full_Assembly_exploded.PNG

In addition to the flared scope end, I noticed that it also does not have the adjustment knobs and screw on knurling on the scope front.

I will now edit the handle to allow for "Mother of Toilet Seat" inserts and the scope mount appears to have a built up area where it connects to the barrel. Also my best guess at the magazine area is close but I need to add the two screws and some additional tweaks to the clip shape.

More edits today based on the photos shared (thank you Thomas and Baron von Blonde). I still have to tweak the magazine receiver and the top barrel site, and based on poster art, toy blaster, and possibly the poster, there appears to be a bump on teh left-hand side of the barrel right below the scope mount that is not in the standard SE-14 model.

List of items changed from the Thingiverse model so far:
- Removed knurling on handles and made to standard thickness of MoP sheets (guitar pick guard material is where i plan to source my material)
- Modified the trigger guard on body to have more accurate radius
- Got rid of switches and indented detail from body between grips and magazines on both side (as pictured in poster and in image shared by baron von Blonde)
- Modified Trigger to float slightly above trigger guard
- Created a spring mechanism (3D printed item and spring from a ballpoint pen) to allow for the trigger to be pulled and return
- Modified Rear attachment holes to fit m5 grub screws for attachment to body
- Fixed cocking knob to have slight chamfered inset instead of initial designed indent
- Added screw holes to barrel near front muzzle on right hand side, and holes to accept screws for attaching the magazine clip
- Tweaked top of barrel to accept newly designed scope mount and added holes to allow for mount to be fastened with m3 screws
- Removed fin from barrel on the right-hand side- Complete redesign of scope mount
- Modified scope barrel to remove adjustment knob holes, flared out front scope barrel, extended rear scope barrel, and made length equal to seen in image of screen prop
- Modified muzzle to include inner bore, expanded the front tapper to be flush with a small flat spot after knurling, and added threading to allow for attachment of "silencer"
- Developed basic "silencer" based on toy and the back half of screen prop (cannot see front of silencer due to FX blaster fire added to image)

Lando_Model_Assembly.PNG

Once I see the move this weekend, I will likely tweak the "silencer" accordingly and then do a test print. If all goes well, I will post all files as remix to original Thingiverse model and post link to this thread for others to download and build.

Attachments

• Lando_Model_Assembly.PNG
    Lando_Model_Assembly.PNG
    215.8 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
The pearl inlay on the grip reminds me of how a Government issue 1911 would be boring and painted flat black, but the civilian model would be nickel plated and pearl gripped. I love the contrast.

Last edited:
Well after seeing the movie, I am not sure I will even bother with the silencer design. It is only on his blaster for a total of maybe one scene and doesn't even make sense within the edits as his blaster doesn't have the silencer on at the beginning of the scene, then does for two different shots, and then is not on the blaster again by the next scene inside the Falcon. Looks like it was added to the toy just to make the blaster look cooler?

I did find blank pick/scratch guard material that looks to be pretty close to the handle material (hard to tell from the photo, but the material I got is a little more cream/ivory in color). Time to wrap up the design files and start the final prints!

MVIMG_20180526_151255.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back