1:1 Yoda ESB Sculpture (MasterEdi V2)

@MasterEdi; So you'll mold him and then refine it on a casting, then remold for sales? :D

Lol... nope. Just one mold, when I cast it up I can individually refine each casting if need be... Is he not finished? Did I miss something???:confused
IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1418.JPG

That Yoda is for my birthday right? ;)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
Sure!!!.... Just pay shipping, $850 ... lol

I don't know if you missed anything, he looks great to me!

I asked because a lot of people will make one mold for a single or few castings and refine one in order to remove any sight that it was made in clay, refine some additional details and so on. Then remold once it's fully finished.

So rotocasting with a foam center to keep weight down?

Lol... nope. Just one mold, when I cast it up I can individually refine each casting if need be... Is he not finished? Did I miss something???:confused
View attachment 695917 View attachment 695918 View attachment 695919

Sure!!!.... Just pay shipping, $850 ... lol

I don't know if you missed anything, he looks great to me!

I asked because a lot of people will make one mold for a single or few castings and refine one in order to remove any sight that it was made in clay, refine some additional details and so on. Then remold once it's fully finished.

So rotocasting with a foam center to keep weight down?
It think the size makes it prohibitive to rotacast... I'm going to brush in my resin, foam fill it if need be but it should be fine, there are no weight bearing issues.

That's amazing NOW!
Is it solid clay now? How heavy is that thing?
Nope, it's not solid clay, that would make it extremely heavy and expensive (clays not that cheap)... if you look at the first posts you can see I use filler to bulk out my armature.

This is amazing work! I just discovered sculpting and have found it both enjoyable and frustrating. Can I ask what kind of clay you use to sculpt with?
... I can understand the enjoyable/ frustrating part! ... that never goes away, but it's a fun obsession. I use Chavant Le Beau Touché. Some stand by Monster clay, others J-Mack AB. They are all good choices

Nope, it's not solid clay, that would make it extremely heavy and expensive (clays not that cheap)... if you look at the first posts you can see I use filler to bulk out my armature.

... I can understand the enjoyable/ frustrating part! ... that never goes away, but it's a fun obsession. I use Chavant Le Beau Touché. Some stand by Monster clay, others J-Mack AB. They are all good choices

I'm working on a gorilla - thinking that the project will challenge me with sculpting, molding, casting, painting, hair punching, animatronics, sewing, understanding anatomy and proportions among other things. Sculpt is done but now I need to put in wrinkles. Using WED clay and I can only do nights and weekends. How do you keep the clay consistent in texture? I have to wait for it to dry before doing detail work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm working on a gorilla - thinking that the project will challenge me with sculpting, molding, casting, painting, hair punching, animatronics, sewing, understanding anatomy and proportions among other things. Sculpt is done but now I need to put in wrinkles. Using WED clay and I can only do nights and weekends. How do you keep the clay consistent in texture? I have to wait for it to dry before doing detail work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... As far as I know WED clay is a water based clay. That's a different kind of animal than the Oil/wax based clays I'm familiar with. The oil based clays stay moist, always, you can rework them indefinitely. Water based clays dry, you use spray bottles, cover them with a wet cloth, or Saran Wrap, but they do dry. You can then carve your details I guess.... that's why I like oil based clays, much more forgiving

Heres a video I uploaded on Instagram of my completed Yoda sculpt...same video just on YouTube...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that's phenomenal. Well done on such a difficult sculpt. My only suggestion would be to make the shoulders a bit more sloped, but it may not be necessary. Looks really great.
Yeah at this point I'm walking away... I could pick at it for years, lol... the only adjustment I'm doing is the right ear, seems long... any other refinements will wait for V3 in a couple years.

MasterEdi - how much Chavant would you need for something this size? I know you did some armature buildup underneath and you used 24" pipe inside. My sculpture has roughly 60lbs of WED clay and I'm just finished with major shaping. Chavant is listed on amazon for $50/10lbs. Just thinking aherad - I like the idea of oil based never drying out so I can work on it over time. Just concerned about cost. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
@MasterEdi - how much Chavant would you need for something this size? I know you did some armature buildup underneath and you used 24" pipe inside. My sculpture has roughly 60lbs of WED clay and I'm just finished with major shaping. Chavant is listed on amazon for $50/10lbs. Just thinking aherad - I like the idea of oil based never drying out so I can work on it over time. Just concerned about cost. Thanks!
For Yoda I used about 20lbs... recycled from past projects and some new... that's what's great about oil based, you can reclaim it after you use it. Hope your project goes well

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back