Solo: A Star Wars Story

But the guy who wrote Empire wrote it... a fan can’t write better than Empire... the guy who wrote Empire could come close...

and im not playing apologist... I don’t really care about these side stories. I came for Lord and Miller, I’ll stay for Donald Glover.
Yeah, but that guy also wrote bad movies...and his script for TFA paled in comparison to empire. In fact the script was my least favorite thing about it.

But empire, jedi and raiders had stories by George Lucas behind them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Why would you not show the full trailer on a world stage over a program that just airs in one country? Sure it costs a bit to show it on the SB but its nothing to Darth Mouseious. Is it a case of not being all that confident in their own product and test the waters in a smaller pool?

Oh, I get it....GMA will be a paid for piece with all the bells and whistles and everybody will just love and rave about it even if they think its garbage.:sick

Darth Mouseious....waves hand "You WILL positively promote this movie"

A :30 SB spot costs $5M. GMA is on ABC which is....wait for it....owned by Disney. Make the SB audience aware the trailer will be on, for free to Disney, the following morning on GMA. Seems to make. Lot of sense.

At least 3 of the major studios aren't promoting films on the Super Bowl this year. It's not as strong a value proposition as it once was.

Owned by Disney.......:lol Maybe if they didnt let a movie get over 80% filmed before making radical changes, they would have some extra cash to spend on a world stage.

2+ minutes during a commercial break is a ton. It would seem like much more than it does in a darkened theater. Not everyone is rabidly interested in this movie and they would be getting tired of the ad after 1 minute or less. Keeping the ad to 30 seconds is wise.

To me it seems they are being cheap at a time when they should be doing all they can to wipe away all the negativity that surrounds it. All I ever hear about is how big Disney is.

How many people are watching this trailer to see if its bad? Not a great example of trying to influence worldwide public perception on their behalf.
Even one minute is acceptable.

A :30 SB spot costs $5M. GMA is on ABC which is....wait for it....owned by Disney. Make the SB audience aware the trailer will be on, for free to Disney, the following morning on GMA. Seems to make. Lot of sense.

At least 3 of the major studios aren't promoting films on the Super Bowl this year. It's not as strong a value proposition as it once was.

The SB media buys are still insane, and I don't understand why when you can see most all of the commercials online before the game even airs.

The SB media buys are still insane, and I don't understand why when you can see most all of the commercials online before the game even airs.

It certainly isn't what it used to be. Like I mentioned, a bunch of studios are taking a pass on SN ads for their films. NFL rating are down 10% year over year, so many people have cut the cord in favor of over the top services, it's just not as great a value proposition as it was before, at least for film advertising. Food and beverage still get a lot of traction from it, though.

The cost of a spot has always been a major hook and theres no reason to play that down in any way, good business. I would have thought that Disney see themselves as leaders and not followers, what other studios do should not really have any influence on them if they are serious and want to be perceived as the biggest fish in the pond.

ADDITION...Lots of talk around that this is going to be pushed back to December so maybe it is reasonable to limit expenses.;)

Last edited:
The cost of a spot has always been a major hook and theres no reason to play that down in any way, good business. I would have though that Disney see themselves as leaders and not followers, what other studios do should not really have any influence on them if they are serious and want to be perceived as the biggest fish in the pond.

I think Bryan nailed it on why Disney did what they did-- they own their own network that isn't airing the super bowl. A teaser directing to their own show is money better spent (and earned) than a longer buy.

As for the other studios-- no idea where the Fox/Disney deal is so I don't know what they are doing. Paramount is crapping the bed and sending half their slate to Netflix. Universal is also part of other network conglomerates. That leaves Sony and WB for the big guns.

The Super Bowl is likely to have a quick :30 spot directing people to watch GMA Monday morning.
Unlikely - Super Bowl is on NBC, GMA on ABC.

I expect something to air for Solo tomorrow during the Super Bowl festivities for Solo - just not something promoting a rival network's program.

Unlikely - Super Bowl is on NBC, GMA on ABC.

I expect something to air for Solo tomorrow during the Super Bowl festivities for Solo - just not something promoting a rival network's program.

Yeah that is the one bit that is odd although I think NBC is happy to hammer a $5M check from Disney.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back