Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
So if I follow your logic regarding “a good movie appeals to everybody”; there is no good star wars film.

Ah, the old, "When you can't defend the indefensible, resort to the snarky relativism" tactic. ******. Did EVERY SINGLE person on Earth like SW in 1977? No. Did it become a cultural phenomenon and signifier the world over and remain so for 40 years and counting? Yes. It's the sole reason this disaster of a movie exists. The list of Star Wars historic achievements, contributions to advancing film tech, and it's social impact and significance are voluminously documented because it was, and remains to this dat, great and beloved the world over. Period. Compare that to the steaming pool of diarrhea that is The Last Jedi. There IS no comparison.

Here is some info from RJ on Yoda for people that thought Yoda looked "off":

And that’s why we did the puppet and recreated the Empire puppet: Neal Scanlan and his team did a recreation of the Yoda puppet. It’s not only a puppet, it’s an exact replica of the Empire puppet. They found the original molds for it. They found the woman that painted the original eyes for Yoda. Then Frank came and worked with them for a few weeks to get the puppet right. He did a lot of testing and a lot of adjusting with the puppet creators. It was amazing to watch the process. The idea that the last time Luke saw Yoda was in Return of the Jedi and the notion of getting back to that version of Yoda to form the emotional connection with Luke – including a glimpse of the impishness, as part of their relationship. It made a lot of sense.

You can't do more for accuracy then that IMO. I'll take Frank Oz's take on Yoda for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh he has said lots of things to **** off Lfl.

Just wait for what he has to say in 10 years :lol

"Remember kids.. it's not important if its of high quality.. only if it makes money.... so because TFA made alot of money... i cant be... it doesnt.. its ergo, its good.."

Wow.. I didnt know he said that...

NAILED IT!

Awesome post Jedi-72.

I’ve been on the RPF hours a day EVERYDAY for 15 years... until I saw TLJ.

I’m not exaggerating. The magic is gone. I absolutely For the first time in my entire life do not care what could come after this. It really makes me sad.

I’m glad that their are a lot of people who don’t feel that way! I really am! Good for you.

It isn’t because it didn’t go the way I wanted it to... it’s because I see behind the Disney curtain... this is a 2 and a half hour agenda driven commercial. With haphazard use of all of our beloved characters. R2-D2 is a ****ing trash can now because BB-8 is soo cool!?!?!??

I’m just done.

Ah, the old, "When you can't defend the indefensible, resort to the snarky relativism" tactic. ******. Did EVERY SINGLE person on Earth like SW in 1977? No. Did it become a cultural phenomenon and signifier the world over and remain so for 40 years and counting? Yes. It's the sole reason this disaster of a movie exists. The list of Star Wars historic achievements, contributions to advancing film tech, and it's social impact and significance are voluminously documented because it was, and remains to this dat, great and beloved the world over. Period. Compare that to the steaming pool of diarrhea that is The Last Jedi. There IS no comparison.

The change Lucas made to the end of RotJ always bothered me (one of many changes that bothered me). The fact that every planet was celebrating made absolutely no sense and completely destroyed the conversation Tarken had in A New Hope when they talked about finally disbanding the senate. He specifically says the regional governors will keep the systems in line, meaning that the Empire was way more than just the Death Star and most of those "celebrating planets" would surely still be under the thumb of the Empire. Sure, destroying two super weapons would deliver a crippling blow, but it's not like the Empire is going to fall apart the second the second Death Star goes boom.

There's no saying that those celebrations weren't short lived. Celebrate Palpatine and Vader's deaths until the remnants of the Empire clamp down with an iron fist.

There's also the thought that the Rebellion was in place underground ready to take advantage at the disarray that winning the battle of Endor would create. This was the spark that ignited what was needed to change from Empire to Republic. While it most likely didn't happen overnight, we're led to believe it did happen.

Something like this is what I'd imagine might've happened:
1. Battle of Endor won
2. Celebration
3. Remnants of the Empire battle back
4. Rebellion continues until it become the new Republic.
5. New Republic
6. First Order

I’ve been on the RPF hours a day EVERYDAY for 15 years... until I saw TLJ.

I’m not exaggerating. The magic is gone. I absolutely For the first time in my entire life do not care what could come after this. It really makes me sad.

I’m glad that their are a lot of people who don’t feel that way! I really am! Good for you.

It isn’t because it didn’t go the way I wanted it to... it’s because I see behind the Disney curtain... this is a 2 and a half hour agenda driven commercial. With haphazard use of all of our beloved characters. R2-D2 is a ****ing trash can now because BB-8 is soo cool!?!?!??

I’m just done.

There was always an inevitability that the franchise would have a turnover of the fan base. There are some who haven't liked a Star Wars film since 1983 who probably should have left a long time ago rather then being angry at the PT and now the ST. As soon as Disney acquired LucasFilm and developed an aggressive film release strategy there were going to be some who were never going to accept what they produced. Even if they had made the biggest OT fan wish fulfillment stories there would be fans who would balk and walk. The overriding strategy has to be develop new fans via new charaters and stories. When people say the magic is gone from these films what they mean is the magic specically for them. I took 6 kids to see TLJ yesterday, ages 4-14 and they all loved it and couldn't stop talking about it on the way home. So that magic is there for many people. If it's not for you, then yes, it is time to be done, and that's ok, this is bigger then any one of us.

Ah the old turdnacular, absolutes & the opposing argument castration.

Indefensible? Look at the RPF poll. You are in the bottom percentile on a forum of equally passionate fans. You are not wrong for having an opinion, but you are an outlier on a forum which calls people out people for literally talking ****.

I’m not exaggerating. The magic is gone. I absolutely For the first time in my entire life do not care what could come after this.

There was a huge population of Star Wars fans who proclaimed with absolute sincerity that George Lucas MURDERED their childhood when the Prequels came out. As though somehow the fond memories they have of the original films had been wiped from their minds.

This has happened before. It will happen again.

There was a huge population of Star Wars fans who proclaimed with absolute sincerity that George Lucas MURDERED their childhood when the Prequels came out. As though somehow the fond memories they have of the original films had been wiped from their minds.

Exactly.

There was always an inevitability that the franchise would have a turnover of the fan base. There are some who haven't liked a Star Wars film since 1983 who probably should have left a long time ago rather then being angry at the PT and now the ST. As soon as Disney acquired LucasFilm and developed an aggressive film release strategy there were going to be some who were never going to accept what they produced. Even if they had made the biggest OT fan wish fulfillment stories there would be fans who would balk and walk. The overriding strategy has to be develop new fans via new charaters and stories. When people say the magic is gone from these films what they mean is the magic specically for them. I took 6 kids to see TLJ yesterday, ages 4-14 and they all loved it and couldn't stop talking about it on the way home. So that magic is there for many people. If it's not for you, then yes, it is time to be done, and that's ok, this is bigger then any one of us.

From people I've talked to, both the artsy general audience and the commonman general audience seem to be more than satisfied with this movie. I spoke with two elderly women last night at work who loved the movie. They called it one of the best they've seen in years. The only people who don't seem to love this movie are the fans.

From people I've talked to, both the artsy general audience and the commonman general audience seem to be more than satisfied with this movie. I spoke with two elderly women last night at work who loved the movie. They called it one of the best they've seen in years. The only people who don't seem to love this movie are the fans.

Well, at least a segment of the fandom at least. I do believe that a lot of frustration stems from expectations about story and character that were not met in the minds of some. I walk into any Star Wars film with an open mind, no pre-existing expectations or prejudices, and open myself up to have FUN. I have yet to be dissappionted in having that experience.

The damn poll don't mean $#@t I put good worth a theatre visit myself , which it is BUT so are a lot of movies .
compared to the OT its crap !
Compared to the Prequels its passable .
So just because it's worth a lookie loo in a theater does not mean we should chisel it into tablets to worship as the word of god like the OT has been !

Should have ran the script by the Joseph Campbell methos test so we would subconsciously be drawn to it I guess !

Ah the old turdnacular, absolutes & the opposing argument castration.

Indefensible? Look at the RPF poll. You are in the bottom percentile on a forum of equally passionate fans. You are not wrong for having an opinion, but you are an outlier on a forum which calls people out people for literally talking ****.

Looking at the poll.....it seems that those who like it are in the minority

The yellow section does say "t was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video."

I'm all good with new things....I don't mind the way that RJ has done the twists & turns in the film...it's just the lazy storytelling,..& overuse of naff humour....& really not a lot of things happen in the film....test it yourself,....go through the plot,....it's a bit like Star Trek Into Darkness......there's a lot of A to B to C to D.....but when you think about it A to D is all the film needed

It insults our intelligence, we deserved better quality of storytelling....thats all

J

[video]http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/canadian-tv-roz-weston-eviscerates-the-last-jedi[/video]

My favorite quote: "You can't WEAPONIZE hyperspace. That changes everything. You'd just have X-Wings set on auto-pilot to destroy everything the enemy has."

The change Lucas made to the end of RotJ always bothered me (one of many changes that bothered me). The fact that every planet was celebrating made absolutely no sense and completely destroyed the conversation Tarken had in A New Hope when they talked about finally disbanding the senate. He specifically says the regional governors will keep the systems in line, meaning that the Empire was way more than just the Death Star and most of those "celebrating planets" would surely still be under the thumb of the Empire. Sure, destroying two super weapons would deliver a crippling blow, but it's not like the Empire is going to fall apart the second the second Death Star goes boom.

I took it as more the Emperor dead than the Death Star...That word could get around very quickly.. and would spread more joy than just a weapon distroyed..The statue being torn down..,, Sidious was the puppet master.. and Vadar and Tarken were his puppets..

While "ruining childhood" might be a bit extreme. New movies do color and affect the older movies due to the fact that Humans associate.

For instance, I can't look at Vader now without thinking about all the Anakin stuff that didn't go over well.

And it sort of dampens the ending of ROTJ, to know that Luke will go on to be a fearful old hermit.

When people say the magic is gone from these films what they mean is the magic specically for them. I took 6 kids to see TLJ yesterday, ages 4-14 and they all loved it and couldn't stop talking about it on the way home. So that magic is there for many people. If it's not for you, then yes, it is time to be done, and that's ok, this is bigger then any one of us.

I think that the detractors are saying that the movie is much worse than it really is. I am 43 years old and just put together a Boba Fett costume. Do we think that in 35 years, kids today are going to put together a forum that gets thousands of visitors a day devoted to Captain Phasma? From that standpoint, I don't think the "magic" is going to be the same for today's kids. I think TLJ has the staying power of a Thor: Ragnorak or some other Marvel film released today. Kids like watching the movie and will forget about it a year later.

To some extent, this is to be expected. When I was a kid, the VHS just came out. ANH was featured on national television. I recorded it and watched it every day after school along with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Today, kids have Netflix and fully immersive video games competing for their time. From that standpoint, Star Wars will not occupy the lives of kids today like they did with my childhood. And that's ok.

When I was in 11th grade, we did a unit studying archetypes and watched a movie discussing the many archetypes presented in Star Wars. I can't see that happening with TLJ. I don't feel the quality is there.

Relative to the other installments, TLJ, to me ranks closer to the prequels than the OT. I read a few reviews saying that TLJ is only second to ESB in quality. I take issue with that. I think that other people who are taking issue with that characterization are overstating how bad this movie was to somehow "balance out" the people who are overstating the quality.

Last edited:
This is on the info page for TLJ on the UK Odeon site.

http://www.odeon.co.uk/film/2017/the-last-jedi/last-jedi-questions/

Possibly the biggest cinema chain in the UK is building excitement with these 5 "burning" questions that we all want answered. None of those questions are answered in the film.

I cannot believe people really think they are not essential to the story, without them the story of TLJ is literally, these guys need to get away from those guys. No character or story gets advanced here, essentially 2.5hrs for a massive armoured fleet to take down a tiny one with no fuel. This film could have been condensed into the first act of a really great movie.

I agree with Oldken, I really don't have any urge to know or see what comes next. Which is sad, because I went in to it so excited and keen, and came out so deflated, I really wanted it to be great.

Disney did what they did.. and we'll..just have to accept it.

However...

They did target the wrong audience. As a dad of 2, and an uncle and in-law of many more "next" generation, I found that this younger generation is not a movie generation.. they are a gaming generation. So Disney should have just appeased to the crowd that still loves the theaters, buys DVD's/blueray disk and still cares about video and audio quality in their HT living rooms.

The majority of the fans that liked the movie...well.. they liked it and I would guess are middle aged SW fans to begin with..

The kids now,, between 12 and 25, that I know.. said they will probably go watch it, say will like it and that will be it....and go back to cell phone world

The other kids between 12 and 25, just laughed and said "what a bunch of geeks.. im going be cool on facebook and play COD and Madden"

Star Wars GO, would get attention..they could walk around starring at their cell phones trying to find crystals, saber parts..even Jedi and Sith.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back