Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters

I posted this a few pages back but it got sort of lost. Mark wanted Luke to turn at the end of ROTJ so he has been all over the map in regards to how Luke should be portrayed. And I don’t mind YouTube clips of media like this or the Kevin Smith interview bit below, it’s the user made stuff I find intolerable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FseAUKmBpeo&feature=youtu.be

I also posted this before but Luke in exile seems to have been part of George’s Ep. 7 concepts.

https://heroichollywood.com/george-lucas-star-wars-last-jedi-idea-luke-skywalker-exile/

Last edited:
What’s the problem with the chase?
It wasn’t really “slow speed” but only seemed that way because they were so far apart and the vessels were so large, no?
Remember the opening sequence to ANH? In the second shot with both ships coming towards the camera blockade runner/ counselor ship was clearly booking it while the huge star destroyer looked like it was moving at a glacial pace simply because of the size.

And their speed is only relative to each other as they are out in space. All the ships are moving at incredible velocities but unless they zip by a planet or a stationary object you have no frame of reference. Two cars driving down the highway at 100 mph appear almost static when the drivers look at each other, it’s the trees flashing by that impart a sense of speed. Look at video of the ISS. It looks like it’s just sitting there but it’s moving at 17k per hour.

I posted this a few pages back but it got sort of lost. Mark wanted Luke to turn at the end of ROTJ so he has been all over the map in regards to how Luke should be portrayed. And I don’t mind YouTube clips of media like this or the Kevin Smith interview bit below, it’s the user made stuff I find intolerable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FseAUKmBpeo&feature=youtu.be

I also posted this before but Luke in exile seems to have been part of George’s Ep. 7 concepts.

https://heroichollywood.com/george-lucas-star-wars-last-jedi-idea-luke-skywalker-exile/

Acknowledge that Bryan.

Ive worked in TV and Theatre for nearly thirty years now and know , how shall we say, "flighty" actors can be. I chose that particular video of Marks comments as they were well, lucid, balanced and current. I think you appreciate the fact that I didnt drag up one of the old ones and I appreciate that.

One of the only skills Ive picked up from all those years in the business is the ability to spot insincerity at fifty yards in the dark and thats why I can really only use You Tube to get a variety of opinions . I know who the fake ones are and give them zero attention. I`ve also seen first hand on countless occasions presenters etc give totally opposite views than their own on subjects straight down the barrel of a camera simply to not offend/bite the hand that feeds them.

So looks like a certain group is taking credit for negatively jacking the TLJ score. Although RT denies it. The theme unfortunately crosses into an arena that violates the RPF C.o.C.; so posting links or an ensuing discussion will most likely lock this thread and exit a few folks. It is too bad because valid nit-picks (and there are some) are going to lose their weight shortly.

google at your own risk: star wars rotten tomatoes spam

It's like everything they set out to do with TFA,...(ensure that everyone knows that Star Wars is in safe hands.....give them a film that moves away from the less popular Prequels.....it worked....what JJ did hit the target,...yes there were faults....but the effort they went to to ensure that Star Wars was going in the right direction.....like a train,....everyone is on board,...we might pass through a few familiar stations or scenery, but we are going on a trip into the unknown after this film.....RJ crashes the train.....then gets you going again & crashes.....repeatedly)......was completely undone by RJ,...instead of getting EVERYONE on board he polarises the audience,,....back to the way the Prequels did....which was not a good period for the franchise

J

I think thats a strong and valid observation to make. I never thought we'd be back to this kind divisive division, I felt Rian was just too clever a writer not to have foreseen this. It just simply amazes me nobody raised the obvious issues with him during the production, given the problems that R1 and Solo had, which is why I believe not all the blame should be heaped upon him entirely.
However, that said, at the level he pitched it is still a great family movie for the uncritically minded and I think many may end up as enthralled by this version as I did as a teenager with the original. I rewatched them yesterday and today and was warmed by the realization these really were still "my star wars movies" ewoks and all.
However looking ahead and sifting though my hastily redrafted possible plotlines for IX I realised with a very heavy heart that one of the few last remaining major story beats to the OT is the Falcon and Chewie, so given JJs past track record its highly likely both will be sacrificed at some point.
And if that happens the storms of protest that are currently circulating about where they have taken the new trilogy will seem like a reasonably mild drizzle .

So looks like a certain group is taking credit for negatively jacking the TLJ score. Although RT denies it. The theme unfortunately crosses into an arena that violates the RPF C.o.C.; so posting links or an ensuing discussion will most likely lock this thread and exit a few folks. It is too bad because valid nit-picks (and there are some) are going to lose their weight shortly.

google at your own risk: star wars rotten tomatoes spam

How would any of that violate the RPF coc? How can someone be banned for something they say or so outside of the RPF?

I kind of wonder, if you were to extend the final scene of The Force Awakens by a few seconds, and show Luke casually toss his lightsaber aside, what the reaction to that film would have been...

However, that said, at the level he pitched it is still a great family movie for the uncritically minded and I think many may end up as enthralled by this version as I did as a teenager with the original.

That’s a bit unkind to those of us capable of critical thinking who enjoyed it, wouldn’t you say? We can disagree but neither opion reflects poorly on ones critical thinking.

And yes, I often point out this is a family franchise really aimed at kids. My kid loves it. Always good to see these films through their eyes sometimes.

What’s the problem with the chase?
It wasn’t really “slow speed” but only seemed that way because they were so far apart and the vessels were so large, no?
Remember the opening sequence to ANH? In the second shot with both ships coming towards the camera blockade runner/ counselor ship was clearly booking it while the huge star destroyer looked like it was moving at a glacial pace simply because of the size.

What was stopping all those Destroyers from launching their TIEs which should have caught the fleeing resistance ship easily?

Good grief, if true what is the matter with men 2017? Some members of my gender seariousky need to grow a pair rather then engage in this immature behavior.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/st...klash-alt-right-female-characters-1201910095/

- - - Updated - - -

What was stopping all those Destroyers from launching their TIEs which should have caught the fleeing resistance ship easily?

They did launch their TIE’s but called them back because they couldn’t be provided covering fire.

Saw this on Facebook, got a laugh out of it.

"Make it the same as the original trilogy, but also make it different. But dont change anything. Make sure to include surprises, but not surprises we dont want. In fact avoid surprises. But dont rehash anything. Also dont try something new, because we wont like it. Make sure to do justice to the cast, but we wont say how. Just make sure to get it right. I want it to be exactly the way I want it. Just a bit different. And also the same. Make sure we know the back story to all the characters even the incidental ones (because we are all speculating and you better be reading my mind) but leave it mysterious at the same time. No CGI! Keep it practical. But make sure to expand the universe like the prequels did, you know, using CGI. Also dont do anything the prequels did. Or Force Awakens. Or the original trilogy. But make it like those films too. Give it some humour too. But dont make it too funny. Show us some new force powers! But not ones we havent seen before because new powers are ridiculous. Dont kill anyone! it betrays my childhood. But also make it unpredictable by killing off a few characters.
Clear? Good."

How would any of that violate the RPF coc? How can someone be banned for something they say or so outside of the RPF?

Not external discussions, I am saying the articles are reporting a politically motivated activist group is skewing RT numbers and an ensuing discussion will be difficult to have and comply with our RPF code of conduct.

Not external discussions, I am saying the articles are reporting a politically motivated activist group is skewing RT numbers and an ensuing discussion will be difficult to have and comply with our RPF code of conduct.

Oh, I did just that two posts above so I suppose we will find out! ;)

They did launch their TIE’s but called them back because they couldn’t be provided covering fire.

I understand that, but were talking a fleet of them, and that mega destroyer, 60 kilometers long. I think they could've overwhelmed them quite easily, the odds were easily in their favor. Vader's Executor which was a puny 19 km, held a minimum of 144 fighters but could carry over a thousand. Normal SD's carried a complement of 72. Would stand to reason a 60 kilometer dreadnaught would carry several thousand. I still find it the covering fire excuse a little weak, but maybe that's just me.

The wife and I went to see it last night. She's just as big a fan as me and both of us were completely perplexed about the supposed "backlash" this film has caused within the fandom. Were there a few things I might have made a different decision on? Yes. That said, none of the items of major contention turned out to be nearly as bad as they were made out to be for which I was happy, because some of this hair pulling had me really worried and we were both happy that our anxiety about these things was for nothing.

This film ranks up there with the OT for me and my wife said it might well be here favorite SW film of them all. As I see the comments about the plot and how believable this or that scenario is I can't help asking myself, have these people actually watched the OT films lately? They are completely full of hokey scenes and dialogue, cheesy humor, and totally unlikely scenarios. I figure that I likely don't care about any of that because I grew up watching and loving these films and I'm just used to it all so much that these things seem right to me now.

I really liked the message conveyed by Yoda to Luke. That failure was as much a part of life and learning as anything else and in that way this film is the most "believable" of all the SW films.

Good grief, if true what is the matter with men 2017? Some members of my gender seariousky need to grow a pair rather then engage in this immature behavior.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/st...klash-alt-right-female-characters-1201910095/

- - - Updated - - -

Some of these neanderthals are such $hitheads:

http://www.newsweek.com/racist-rose-tico-wookieepedia-page-753063

Yeah all of that is the great part of the film ! Luke's sacrifice.

the part people can't get around is the wacking Ben in his sleep part .
To me Luke was always was a" Jedi like his father before him" . so it doesn't really bother me I see it as back peddling and rehashing the same old struggle of do I kill my relative ? Seems a problem among the bloodline .
They could have gone a different way and made a lot of people happy but that's why were here I guess .
Again I was disappointed for different reasons the ignored and unanswered questions that no longer seem to matter .

I mean, I assume the Knights of Ren are the few other Jedi trainees Kylo took with him as they are with Ren at the destruction of the school , and we now know that came about unplanned in the middle of the night so that is some kind of answer.
I guess .

^^^this^^^

I don't know what post(s) you're thinking of that only offered unbridled enthusiasm for TLJ. Most folks who liked the film have also offered criticism.

sorry, that was a general statement for people on other platforms such as instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Thankfully most users here still have the integrity to make at least slight criticism.

That’s a bit unkind to those of us capable of critical thinking who enjoyed it, wouldn’t you say? We can disagree but neither opion reflects poorly on ones critical thinking.

And yes, I often point out this is a family franchise really aimed at kids. My kid loves it. Always good to see these films through their eyes sometimes.

Yes .sorry for the way that sounded Bryan. Apologies.
What I meant to convey was that most kids don't suffer from the degree of over critical analysis that the older and more experienced cinema audiences are likely to have developed over years of viewing .
So they are probably going to enjoy it for what it was, a goodish sci fiction film with lots of action and simple humour . Unlike me for example,who couldn't shut the process down once it had become annoyed sufficently enough to take issue with what I had seen and how much it differed to my experience and expectations.
But Jaitea fairly nailed it with his post. A fair proportion did not expect it to go this way at all (including me!).
In another post link somebody talked about how people would react if Harry Potter had done something so seemingly out of character, and how the fans would have reacted to that. The general public might have just shrugged and said "Well whats it matter, at least it was unpredictable". The fans who have invested so much in the series and in that character would specifically tell you exactly why.

Last edited:
Yes .sorry for the way that sounded Bryan. Apologies.
What I meant to convey was that most kids don't suffer from the degree of over critical analysis that the older and more experienced cinema audiences are likely to have developed over years of viewing .
So they are probably going to enjoy it for what it was, a goodish sci fiction film with lots of action and simple humour . Unlike me for example,who couldn't shut the process down once it had become annoyed sufficently enough to take issue with what I had seen and how much it differed to my experience and expectations.
But Jaitea fairly nailed it with his post. A fair proportion did not expect it to go this way at all.
In another post link somebody talked about how people would react if Harry Potter had done something so seemingly out of character, and how the fans would have reacted to that. The general public might have just shrugged and said well whats it matter. The fans who have invested in the series and in that character specifically would tell you exactly why.

Sure. From my perspective the new characters were very well served by the character arcs they travel in this film and as I mentioned, Luke was my hero when I was 9. This Luke resonates with me at 49. I get where his head is at. And then whe he sacrificed himself to be a legend and a beacon of hope, he brought me back to being that 9 year old.:)

Here’s why I just don’t have a problem with Luke momentarily thinking that killing Ben Solo was the right course of action – especially in light of his (seemingly) contrary attitude with respect to Vader in ROTJ. Let’s look at Luke’s history:

Luke grew up believing he had no father; when he found out the truth about his father, that undoubtedly awakened some hope in him that, if Vader was in fact his father, Vader couldn’t be all bad and perhaps could be turned to the light- in effect, allowing Luke to regain the father he never had.

So what’s different between the Vader and Ben situations that might trigger different responses in Luke? Several things:

1. Let’s recall that Luke’s emotion toward his father was apparently reciprocated – meaning that, once he saw Luke (and, one assumes, also saw shades of Padme), Anakin himself began an internal struggle. This is most evident when Vader lets his emotional guard down in ROTJ and says “it’s too late for me, my son.” So Vader was giving outward evidence of this struggle – telling Luke that Luke’s hope was not completely unfounded.

We don’t have any evidence from TFA or TLJ (really, one way or the other) that Kylo was evidencing such a struggle at all. All we know is that he has unprecedented power (Luke to Rey: “I’ve seen raw strength like this only once before”), leaned toward the Dark Side, and based on the timeline (Han and Leia specifically reference Snoke as being instrumental in Ben’s fall), it sounds like Luke, Han and Leia were aware that Snoke was active in Ben’s life at this time. So, by the time of the contemplated killing of Ben, we have more than just a “student teetering on the brink” and likely more “an immensely powerful student being affirmatively groomed by a Dark Side user”.

2. Let’s face it – post ROTJ, Luke has suffered through the horrors that two Dark Side force users can wreak on the galaxy and – whether right-headed or not – is likely to take a very knee-jerk approach to making darn sure it doesn’t happen again, especially not where he might play some fault in it happening. (In fact, I'd bet Luke has feelings akin to PTSD when ti comes to the Galactic Civil War). Add to that, in his perception, it could be worse this time around, given Ben’s youth and that his strength in the force eclipsed Anakin’s. So it seems entirely conceivable - even consistent – that Luke’s first impulse would be to take the most drastic action necessary to prevent the galaxy from plunging into an even worse darkness than before. So he starts down a rash course – but, true to the Luke we know, he hesitates and thinks better of it (perhaps recalling the redemption of Vader); unfortunately, through poor circumstance, his initial impulse cannot be “taken back” and ends up making things worse.

So, yeah – I get that if Luke had gone through with his plan to assassinate Ben without remorse, that would seem out of character for Luke. But that’s not what happened – instead, he started to make a bad choice – based on factors and circumstances that are consistent with what came before – but his better nature prevailed and stayed his hand. In other words, Luke started to make an understandable but bad decision and stopped himself – how is that “out of character” for any of us, much less Luke?

M

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back