Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Reminds me of an old MAD comic I once saw. The title was "Books you shouldn't be reading in bed when you can't sleep" and the guy in the cartoon was reading a book called "Encyclopedia of deadly afflictions with harmless symptoms".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I think I might have seen that. It sounds awfully familiar.

Every Sunday we all go to my parents house and my grandpa comes over. He was an Army crash crew/firefighter at an airfield at Foggia, Italy in WW2. So about a month ago we were watching a WW2 show and they were telling about the Stuka and its sirens. He said "So that's what that was! I thought that was just the sound of the bombs falling." We all just went "What?" because even my mom (her dad) had never heard that story.

Yeah, the Stuka's "Jericho Trumpet" siren has become the Wilhelm scream of airplane sound effects. Every time you have a plane diving, whether intentionally or not, sound people have to use the Stuka's dive siren. It's become used so much that mot people think that's what planes actually sound like when diving/crashing even though it was unique to the Stukas and even then, only when they have their siren active.

Yeah, the Stuka's "Jericho Trumpet" siren has become the Wilhelm scream of airplane sound effects. Every time you have a plane diving, whether intentionally or not, sound people have to use the Stuka's dive siren. It's become used so much that mot people think that's what planes actually sound like when diving/crashing even though it was unique to the Stukas and even then, only when they have their siren active.
... and only on some models which were actually used as divebombers (as opposed to ground attackers)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Every Sunday we all go to my parents house and my grandpa comes over. He was an Army crash crew/firefighter at an airfield at Foggia, Italy in WW2. So about a month ago we were watching a WW2 show and they were telling about the Stuka and its sirens. He said "So that's what that was! I thought that was just the sound of the bombs falling."

Falling bombs do whistle, so it wasn't necessarily Stukas bombing your Grandfather's base.
In fact it most likely wasn't Stukas, as Stukas were primarily used as close air support for Panzer and Infantry attacks.
Also, I'm familiar with the air base at Foggia - it was a major bomber base, protected by half a dozen fighter groups (including the Tuskegee Airmen).
Attacking that base with Stukas would have been suicide. The Germans wouldn't have done that.

http://www.2ndbombgroup.org/15thairforce.htm

Ok will pass that on. I was surprised as well that that late in the war the Germans would have tried attacking that big of a base with the Allies having complete air superiority. I'll see if he remembers the year because they did occasionally try air attacks later on. Speaking of bombers, he had a crew give him a leather bomber jacket because he pulled some of them out of a burning crash (he got some medal for that, not sure which). It was painted and had patches and everything. He came home, stuck it in the attic, and moths ate it!

...Finally there's the person who watches too much "House" or does too much "Google" and insist they have some rare disorder despite having all the hallmarks of something more common. Unfortunately I see this all the time.
Jeez, I've been doing it wrong all of these years! I've been waiting until I have a diagnosis from a physician, then I go home and research it on the Internet if it's something I'm not familiar with. :facepalm

:D

it was intended that way. small propellor driven siren attached to the landing gear was what made the scream. no other airplane ever had that fitted.

other thing about that time period: only german officers carried a luger, not the normal soldiers. high ranked officers sometimes had a c96.

it was intended that way. small propeller driven siren attached to the landing gear was what made the scream. no other airplane ever had that fitted.

other thing about that time period: only german officers carried a luger, not the normal soldiers. high ranked officers sometimes had a c96.

What do you mean by, it was intended that way? Are you trying to suggest the engineers at Junkers developing the Stuka wanted to create a device that would create the Wilhelm scream of plane sounds for movies?

As for the Luger, the P08, while iconic, was considered obsolete by WW II and was rarely carried by German troops, officers or other. More common was the Walther P38 even if the Luger was better known. Also, I don't think that any German officer carried a C96 during WW II, it was already largely obsolete by WW I and would have been completely obsolete by WW II. Most officers (in all militaries) only carried a pistol as a badge of rank and because they were required to, with that being the case, why would anybody carry as large and clunky a pistol as the C96 just for appearances when there smaller and better pistols out there?

What do you mean by, it was intended that way? Are you trying to suggest the engineers at Junkers developing the Stuka wanted to create a device that would create the Wilhelm scream of plane sounds for movies?
Hey, those Germans were crafty bastids. "Not only vill ziss scare our enemies, it vill alzo zound great vhen zey make ze moviess about it!"

As for the Luger, the P08, while iconic, was considered obsolete by WW II and was rarely carried by German troops, officers or other. More common was the Walther P38 even if the Luger was better known. Also, I don't think that any German officer carried a C96 during WW II, it was already largely obsolete by WW I and would have been completely obsolete by WW II. Most officers (in all militaries) only carried a pistol as a badge of rank and because they were required to, with that being the case, why would anybody carry as large and clunky a pistol as the C96 just for appearances when there smaller and better pistols out there?

i meant the siren attached to the stuka's landing gear wich sound is copied and used for all diving planes in films.

for the P08 and C96. high officers carried them quite often on social and/or propaganda occasions. more as show off than usability. Walter PP/PPk was standard sidearm for officers basicly although some prefered the P38.

The sound of a gun being ****** or the hammer pulled back even if it is a gun like a Glock that does not have an external hammer that can be ******.

That metallic scraping sound every time someone unsheaths/holds up/pulls out a knife.

That isn't necessarily inaccurate, it just depends on the type of sheath/scabbard being used, but it's definitely not unsversal. An 18th or later century military sword or saber would typically have a metal scabbard so the sword would make that noise when drawn, but an earlier period sword in leather sheath or leather covered wood scabbard definitely wouldn't make any noise.

Last edited:
Saw a movie were someone picked up a kitchen knife from the counter and it made that sound. It's beyond ridiculous.
I saw a movie many years ago in which someone got stabbed in the abdomen, and it made that sound as the attacker was removing the knife from the victim. :confused :facepalm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back