Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Im always surprised when people who have seen trailers their entire life buy all the twists that they posit when 90% of the time (save for when an idiot in the marketing department makes a trailer with a spoiler) it’s a misdirect.

Man, I've watched the trailer a hundred time, watched reaction videos to the trailer a hundred times, and I can't wait. Love the music, the tone, I hope it satisfies. I was neither disappointed nor blown away by TFA, I went in neutral. But this has me excited..............even if I think we're being lied to about Chewie's roar!

That would be your mistake: ignoring his arc and focusing only on the part where he was at his lowest.

The Hero's journey is a time honoured tale... and it always has it's low point. If we chose to ignore the arc and look only at that point...yes. But that isn't nearly the whole picture, is it?

Right, but as I said, if you take just ESB - the whole thing is his low point. The point was that in and of itself, you can make it appear Rey goes dark in the middle (or does go) and then return in a part 3. It doesn't take from the 'hero's journey' he was talking about. As I said, it matters where you are at the end of 9, not the end of 8.

If it makes sense for the character and the story, even if she is a female that little girls everywhere look up to, then that's where it has to go

That's where you're not getting it, or the story, or the entire theme of Star Wars in general. She is the new Luke, period.

The female character lead in Star Wars seems to be a hard pill for a lot of fanboys to swallow. Boo. Hoo.

Lead female roles, like Rey, are a welcome breath of fresh air. The time for all-male leads is done. It's DONE. So, it only makes sense that if you have a character like Rey, that she is not going down a path where she will not be an inspiring character for young women. How is that so hard to comprehend? And if you don't want or welcome this....maybe new Star Wars (or sci-fi movies anywhere) are not for you.

I for one am tired of reading post after post about women in lead roles that are slammed to death, picked apart, nitpicked from every angle... that just screams misogynist rhetoric.

Rey is bad ass, she is here to stay (thank f-ing god) so some of you will need to deal with it.

Whatever. You can't trust anyone associated with any other company either, if that's the case.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_dd2i5h56i5w8oskw48oww4cww_640.png

Oh, holy hell; Relax Francis. I didn't read a thing meriting that diatribe. :rolleyes

That's where you're not getting it, or the story, or the entire theme of Star Wars in general. She is the new Luke, period.

The female character lead in Star Wars seems to be a hard pill for a lot of fanboys to swallow. Boo. Hoo.

Lead female roles, like Rey, are a welcome breath of fresh air. The time for all-male leads is done. It's DONE. So, it only makes sense that if you have a character like Rey, that she is not going down a path where she will not be an inspiring character for young women. How is that so hard to comprehend? And if you don't want or welcome this....maybe new Star Wars (or sci-fi movies anywhere) are not for you.

I for one am tired of reading post after post about women in lead roles that are slammed to death, picked apart, nitpicked from every angle... that just screams misogynist rhetoric.

Rey is bad ass, she is here to stay (thank f-ing god) so some of you will need to deal with it.

My name is Scott, not Francis. But I do know that using this name in a derogatory way is typically meant to infer that I'm feminine or gay. ....not sure if that matters? I've been here on the RPF as long or longer as many and I do think the tone for this topic warrants my comments.

If you don't agree, noted...Rylo.

My name is Scott, not Francis. But I do know that using this name in a derogatory way is typically meant to infer that I'm feminine or gay. ....not sure if that matters? I've been here on the RPF as long or longer as many and I do think the tone for this topic warrants my comments.

pretty sure that was a deadpool inspired joke ;)!

Sounds an awful lot like the people who got butt-mad about criticisms against the Ghostbusters reboot. Rather than listening to the real issues, they blamed sexim, misogyny...then the film tanked and is in the 99 cent bin at gas stations never to be remembered again because they're ignorance of reality overtook their feeble minds, creating a turd of a film.

Frankly, the issue of her being female isn't even the issue here, but since you're so intent on trying to establish a false gender-war for the sake of calling folks critiquing the films as "misogynist," you're not far off from establishing yourself as such since your post itself completely ignores ALL the previous films with strong female leads. What ever happened to all those who came before? They're now irrelevant because it's now 2017 and everything before yesterday is old? Hell, I'll just link it rather than trying to spout off a list. Google is a fascinating tool

http://www.amc.com/movie-guide/50-greatest-female-movie-characters

Honestly, the first movie that comes to mind is ALIEN, which has who? Ripley. Man, oh man, if you've been on the RPF longer than an hour, you'd know the ALIEN franchise has a HUGE influence on this community. I haven't seen the likes of anti-women hate directed towards that film before, not ever here on this board at least. Why was it so influential to our culture and this site? Maybe because it was a bad-ass movie that had a good story. That's the bottom line.

So please leave this kind of dribble on facebook, where it belongs. This is a discussion about plot points and character developments in the new star wars. This is not the place to make attempts to silence critiques by using sexism as a tool of censorship.

Damn, you're trying really hard to get bent over something. It's actually a pretty common expression among movie buffs.
Sorry it was lost on you. Here ya go. Enjoy the awesomeness of Stripes!

:43 is the magic spot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtHkSw9nEY

Irony aside, No...I don't think this is the place for you to stage "Rey's suffrage movement."
Discussion of politics on the RPF are not permitted. Your post is antagonistic and a text book example of PC grandstanding. You taunted members with "Boo, hoo, deal with it" and then labeled people misogynists.

That kinda post is gonna draw a little fire so, yeah...deal with it.

-Rylo

Last edited:
Damn, you're trying really hard to get bent over something. It's actually a pretty common expression among movie buffs.

And yet you miss the gay reference of it all when he calls out "homos"

Hilarious.

It's sad that you don't see old school thinking for what it is.

That kinda post is gonna draw a little fire so, yeah...deal with it.

I'm fine dealing with it, and I'm prepared to discuss.

To label this political is a cowardly cop-out. We discuss women and men in roles every day here. Maybe you are the one that is too sensitive?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back