Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
"Don't buy a product you like. The people who make it might think you like it."

Some people have displayed criticism toward the show, but approval of the props. So, the joke is that if you buy the props they might think you like the show and will keep making the show.

You'll notice I referred to the show itself "Discovery", not "discovery props, or "the props" or anything like that.

I can't imagine any in-universe reason for the cutouts in the Discovery's saucer, and more than a couple of reasons that it would be a bad idea.

I like the Shenzhou well enough, other than it looking completely wrong for the timeline.

And the cut-outs? Three words: Structural Integrity Failure

Yep. Plus, they're bottlenecks if the crew has to abandon the ship in a hurry.

1st Starfleet design team member: "What should we put in these sections?"
2nd member: "Nothing."
1st member: "So, empty rooms that they can customize as they see fit during their tour?"
2nd member: "Nope, I mean Nothing. The cold, dark, empty vacuum of space."
1st member: "So, let me get this straight: of all the purposes those sections could be used for, you think that the best use is icy death."
2nd member. "Yep!"
1st member: "Sigh. Fine."

Prepare yourself for some kind of dumb saucer separation. :p

I can't imagine any in-universe reason for the cutouts in the Discovery's saucer, and more than a couple of reasons that it would be a bad idea.

I like the Shenzhou well enough, other than it looking completely wrong for the timeline.

I agree. I don't mind the Shenzhou design out of context, it just can't make up its mind what era it wants to be. It has elements of the Akira and even beyond that, and hints of ENT too. But I would not have ever placed that design 10 years before TOS. If the show was set post Nemesis, I'd accept the design just fine though, despite being a victim of modern Hollywood over-detailed and under-thought.
The Discovery on the other hand, is just a badly recycled discarded design that never fit the right aesthetic.

Prepare yourself for some kind of dumb saucer separation.

You're close. Notice how the bridge is attached to the neck, but not to the rest of the saucer? I think there are huge gears where the saucer meets the neck, so that it can rotate in place while the bridge is stationary. Why? 'Cause it'll look COOOOOL!

I've made the above in purple, which is the color of sarcasm. And I'll feel really bad if it actually happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're close. Notice how the bridge is attached to the neck, but not to the rest of the saucer? I think there are huge gears where the saucer meets the neck, so that it can rotate in place while the bridge is stationary. Why? 'Cause it'll look COOOOOL!

I've made the above in purple, which is the color of sarcasm. And I'll feel really bad if it actually happens.

Another forum I frequent has always used green font for that, but don't worry, the sarcasm was obvious enough. :lol
Now that you've pointed at the bridge being connected like that, I'm beginning to think it's actually possible one of these two options is entirely plausible. They might have the whole saucer section rotate to angle phasers or torpedoes at any angle, or it might be saucer separation because that seems to be the in-thing for Trek ship designs.

“I only ‘don't care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.” - Jason "the arse" Isaacs

This thing is going to crash soo hard. And no Jason, I'm not going to watch anyway.

Well he's right in the fact that us hardcore fans are going to watch anything Star Trek automatically.

The hole in his logic is whether I actually consider this Star Trek at all, so I'm reconsidering the need to watch this.

“It's ‘Star Trek,’ but not as we know it,” he explains. “There are places obviously where they’ve observed canon to do with things like uniforms and badges and stuff, but there are places where the rules of storytelling are reinvented.”

'Cause uniforms and badges and stuff is what's really important.

There, there, (pointing hysterically at website front page article) "REBOOT" they say---- NOOOOooooooooo!!!!!

Aw well, I can already see it... Now we are all complaining but then, then, when the show hits the screens, we will say, WOW, this is THE BEST ST show in ze Wooooorld!!! :D

(Wow, sarcasm can be contagious..! ;) )

“It's ‘Star Trek,’ but not as we know it,” he explains. “There are places obviously where they’ve observed canon to do with things like uniforms and badges and stuff, but there are places where the rules of storytelling are reinvented.”

'Cause uniforms and badges and stuff is what's really important.

And what exactly about those uniforms is canon? :confused

Well they admit it's not Star Trek now so at least they realize they can't
keep up the charade. I also noticed the blatant political comment tossed in too for no reason. Subtle. LOL
Normally I don't hold a grudge against actors just because they are in a movie or show
I didn't care for. But these are insults to fans. Fans that have payed for and sustained the franchise
that is paying your paycheck sir. I will champion not to view this and I will hope for swift cancellation.
I will offer no outrage and debate on the content because I will never watch it, the product goes
into what I call the ALIENS 3 bucket for me, never happened.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back