Pepsi is making Pepsi Perfect? BTTF

So 200 bottles a day x 4 days is 800 - what are they going to do with the other 700? They said 1500 were for the con.

Maybe they're giving them out at the panel for the documentary about BTTF?

All I know is when I got this news I was buying materials to start on a costume for the 21st, let's see if I can speed that timeline up and get this done in 2 days!

-Nick

I'll say. Pepsi had to come along with their good intentions just when I thought people had finally stopped complaining about the shoes.

A real fiasco.

People had every right to complain about the shoes because we all wanted them to be released as a mainstream sneaker, as they were in the movie, and instead they were a super-limited release that you had to bid crazy money for. The money went to a good cause, though, unlike these Pepsi bottles, which made a difference. More recently the unofficial replicas and HC shoes have meant fans could finally obtain an affordable alternative, so it's worked out for us in that respect, but the initial frustration was entirely justified at the time.

I'm hugely disappointed by Pepsi's decision. I half expected them to change all their bottles to this shape for 2015, or at least make them available worldwide.

Welp, the hype machine is in full swing. Pepsi Perfect is one of the trending topics on Facebook with just about every media outlet covering it. When I first saw the 'leaked' rumors, I was planning on getting two. Now I'll be lucky to get just one. What a bunch of crap.

Pepsi would be dumb not to produce more of these. They spent all that money on R&D, new molds, advertising, etc. just for 8000 bottles? Seems bizarre to me.

I was hoping this would be similar to Pepsi Throwback -- a month long limited release to retail. Just the bottle, no special cases, and sell them for a little more than the standard bottle. Oh well, one can hope...

I'm hugely disappointed by Pepsi's decision. I half expected them to change all their bottles to this shape for 2015, or at least make them available worldwide.

You expected Pepsi to change their entire regional brand because of a 45 second product placement from 26 years ago?

I was happy enough that they did it at all. It is a shame that they're not available worldwide, however.

You expected Pepsi to change their entire regional brand because of a 45 second product placement from 26 years ago?

I was happy enough that they did it at all. It is a shame that they're not available worldwide, however.

Considering how big Back to the Future has become in recent years, yes. Maybe not a total rebranding but I did hope we'd see the bottles in convenience stores and supermarkets before the end of the year.

The design they've gone for is a normal bottle shape with a bigger lid. I see other soft drinks in more elaborate packaging all the time. I'm sure another solution could have been reached.

Although I'm not surprised that Pepsi are doing a limited run, the number of bottles is a little odd. Having said that they could've easily said "We're producing 2015 bottles at $20.15" or something equally daft. Well look at it this way, they don't have to do it, they've no obligation to anyone or anything to produce them, they'll still be a massive world leader in soft drinks AFTER this so the fact that they're doing it at all is pretty cool. Maybe 8000 was the magic number for the manufacturer of the bottle to agree on before production could take place.

I'll look out for it on ebay I guess but I'm not too fussed about owning one. If I don't see a bottle on there for $1000 I'll be surprised. And regarding the screen accuracy of the bottle - anybody think that they WON'T sell because they're not screen accurate? Me neither. "Screen accurate" is a niche market to the die hard, not so much to the masses. You could get a coke bottle, turn it upside down, paint the base blue and put a pepsi logo on it and some dumb ass will buy it. Again, a half arsed effort but they'll still sell NMW.

A limited run is one thing, but a run limited only to the USA was never going to go down wellso I'm surprised they haven't at least tried to get a few thousand allocated for the rest of the world.

I'd be willing to bet that the version with the case is the limited to 6,500 and that they will release just the soda in the new bottle a short time later with a greater production number and a lower price.

Looks like we can order these on Amazon.com on October 21st. I'm curious if that means October 21st, after midnight?

Pepsi.JPG
http://www.pepsi.com/en-us/featured/the-future-is-now-2

Looks like we can order these on Amazon.com on October 21st.

Cool, hopefully they'll be able to send it to Belgium.

For a version that isn't entirely screen accurate, $20.15 isn't that much,
especially if you compare it with the price that you pay for a screen accurate one.

Also no one is making them here anymore, so the $20.15 version is the only one to get, sadly.

Last edited:
The only thing that makes Pepsi perfect (see what I did there?) is high fructose corn syrup... yet they're going with sugar for this limited release. Of course technically it could be actual battery acid in the bottles and people will still pay top dollar for it so as long as Pepsi gets paid, they could care less what version of their soda the majority of people prefer. *end rant*

The only thing that makes Pepsi perfect (see what I did there?) is high fructose corn syrup... yet they're going with sugar for this limited release. Of course technically it could be actual battery acid in the bottles and people will still pay top dollar for it so as long as Pepsi gets paid, they could care less what version of their soda the majority of people prefer. *end rant*

Pepsi was originally made with sugar until the mid 1980s, when all the beverage makers switched to HFCS. Personally, I find corn syrup to leave a slimy aftertaste.

Side note I remember when our local Coke distributor started bringing in Mexican Coke (still made with cane sugar). I must have bought a dozen cases of it.

Pepsi announced in late 1984 that they were switching to HFCS. When BTTF2 was filmed, Pepsi had already been using HFCS for a few years. The standard version of Pepsi still uses HFCS. Just because there is also a sugar version now does not mean that this has to be the formula for Pepsi Perfect. In fact it would make much more sense for it to be HFCS since that was what was in Pepsi at the time of filming BTTF2.

Taste is subjective not objective so we're all entitled to disagree on what tastes better. I MUCH prefer the taste of HFCS over sugar, especially in Pepsi.

Last edited:
I was disappointed when I saw the number they were producing. However, Surge (a discontinued drink from the 90's) came back with a limited release. But once they saw the popularity, they continued to keep them on the market. New York Seltzer (a discontinued drink from the 80's) is back in full swing and Crystal Clear Pepsi is coming back. Hold out hope that with all of the success and reemergence of these drinks, Pepsi Perfect will be here for a while. Maybe an online petition? As Doc Brown said, "The Future is what you make it!" Just my 2 cents!

Welp, the hype machine is in full swing. Pepsi Perfect is one of the trending topics on Facebook with just about every media outlet covering it. When I first saw the 'leaked' rumors, I was planning on getting two. Now I'll be lucky to get just one. What a bunch of crap.

Pepsi would be dumb not to produce more of these. They spent all that money on R&D, new molds, advertising, etc. just for 8000 bottles? Seems bizarre to me.

I was hoping this would be similar to Pepsi Throwback -- a month long limited release to retail. Just the bottle, no special cases, and sell them for a little more than the standard bottle. Oh well, one can hope...
Thats pisses me off too - if you're on,y going to make 8000 pieces why start hyping it so early. It's only going to give scalpers more time to learn about it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back