Walking Dead Rick Jacket

Ok guys... here's Prototype #1. I'm sure you'll have a few tweaks to suggest but, right off the bat it looks like the custom lining was made more blue than purple. All the following photos are straight out of the camera with no color or brightness correction. I thought it best to just leave them all "as is".

Indoors with a bounce-flash off the ceiling:

k7muIii.jpg

XY1PabJ.jpg

VM9B0Sl.jpg

HNMfW3M.jpg

f8O0UN4.jpg

Indoors, bounce flash... quite low light (background is actually white, so that'll give you an idea of how dark the photo is):

hzPPcB2.jpg
gVCvuOo.jpg

Outdoors with quite a bit of light:

mVu6EMD.jpg
1c0Y43v.jpg

Ok, here it comes. I'm tired (no sleep, long day at work) so I hope everything I say is coherent enough.

I can't tell much about the overall model and shape at all as the measurements are apparently completely custom. What does seem to be the case is that the jacket is too short on you.

Remove chest pocket.

Seams sleeves should NOT join the chest seam. Way off.

Either button caps are too big or the cuff is too thin.

Button knobs/studs are too big. Something that's always bothering me with replica jackets.

Zipper size seems to be 5 instead of 8.

The ribs of the ribbed fabric are too big. Need finer knit. Ribbed fabric of the lining looks good. Ribbed fabric of the outer shell and the inner lining should be exactly the same.

Curves flaring outwards on the back are way too curvy. The shape is totally off.

No stitches on the ribbed fabric at the bottom. Only on the suede.

It appears that the shoulder seam running from neck to shoulder/arm opening should be lower. (4 cm from fold line when laying flat).

Here are a few pics to back up my comments.

comments 1.jpgcomments 2.jpg

To be fair I don't know what to say or what to feel. I mean, literally everything has been documented and noted down, multiple original jackets have been photographed and measured to death and there is hardly anything left to document and still there are some very obvious mistakes that in my opinion are totally unnecessary. There are also some nice-looking bits but seeing as the original jacket is well-documented I kind of take that for granted. I know that it's 'merely' a prototype, but I hope you do get what I'm saying. I don't mean to be too harsh or blunt.

I can't say much about the colors. In the pictures the jacket looks quite a bit reddish brown. I would be happy to help out with the colors were it not for the fact that I'm still waiting like forever for something to arrive or even be sent to me...

Ok, here it comes. I'm tired (no sleep, long day at work) so I hope everything I say is coherent enough.

I can't tell much about the overall model and shape at all as the measurements are apparently completely custom. What does seem to be the case is that the jacket is too short on you.

Remove chest pocket.

Seams sleeves should NOT join the chest seam. Way off.

Either button caps are too big or the cuff is too thin.

Button knobs/studs are too big. Something that's always bothering me with replica jackets.

Zipper size seems to be 5 instead of 8.

The ribs of the ribbed fabric are too big. Need finer knit. Ribbed fabric of the lining looks good. Ribbed fabric of the outer shell and the inner lining should be exactly the same.

Curves flaring outwards on the back are way too curvy. The shape is totally off.

No stitches on the ribbed fabric at the bottom. Only on the suede.

It appears that the shoulder seam running from neck to shoulder/arm opening should be lower. (4 cm from fold line when laying flat).

Here are a few pics to back up my comments.

View attachment 792739View attachment 792740

To be fair I don't know what to say or what to feel. I mean, literally everything has been documented and noted down, multiple original jackets have been photographed and measured to death and there is hardly anything left to document and still there are some very obvious mistakes that in my opinion are totally unnecessary. There are also some nice-looking bits but seeing as the original jacket is well-documented I kind of take that for granted. I know that it's 'merely' a prototype, but I hope you do get what I'm saying. I don't mean to be too harsh or blunt.

I can't say much about the colors. In the pictures the jacket looks quite a bit reddish brown. I would be happy to help out with the colors were it not for the fact that I'm still waiting like forever for something to arrive or even be sent to me...
Although I'm not Indy I think he addressed a couple of the points in a couple posts; from what I can infer Indy just wanted to get a basic prototype out and followed suit with the OEM version of the jacket (i.e. the chest pocket, collar button strap) that way once familiar with the jacket he can narrow down the details for our Rick TV version of the Ugg jacket. You're definitely right about the sizing though, bottom of the jacket should definitely be lower and be about groin level for a proper fit.

That being said, the Lycra for the sides is different because he mentioned before about finding a more suitable lycra with a finer thread count midway into the project; that's why the outside of the jacket looks thicker because it has a smaller thread count than the lycra he sourced for the inside panels presumably in the middle of the project. The inside lycra seems to be the most accurate fabric for the jacket's middle sides and sleeves. Everything else you mentioned is definitely spot on and as he mentioned before this is the very first prototype so I don't think he was able to make a lot of drastic changes considering what was already in place when we got our first preview like the stitching at the bottom of the lycra on the outside.

One coloring detail I noticed is that Indy's jacket in low lighting looks spot on with how Rick's jacket looks in natural day light. Not sure what you think @Razor1986 on the coloring but for the next prototype I think the suede should be colored darker possibly or dyed in a way to lose the red undertones so that it has a consistent dark brown.

I must say the fabric quality is excellent and I love the blue lining!

Although I'm not Indy I think he addressed a couple of the points in a couple posts; from what I can infer Indy just wanted to get a basic prototype out and followed suit with the OEM version of the jacket (i.e. the chest pocket, collar button strap) that way once familiar with the jacket he can narrow down the details for our Rick TV version of the Ugg jacket. You're definitely right about the sizing though, bottom of the jacket should definitely be lower and be about groin level for a proper fit.

That being said, the Lycra for the sides is different because he mentioned before about finding a more suitable lycra with a finer thread count midway into the project; that's why the outside of the jacket looks thicker because it has a smaller thread count than the lycra he sourced for the inside panels presumably in the middle of the project. The inside lycra seems to be the most accurate fabric for the jacket's middle sides and sleeves. Everything else you mentioned is definitely spot on and as he mentioned before this is the very first prototype so I don't think he was able to make a lot of drastic changes considering what was already in place when we got our first preview like the stitching at the bottom of the lycra on the outside.

One coloring detail I noticed is that Indy's jacket in low lighting looks spot on with how Rick's jacket looks in natural day light. Not sure what you think @Razor1986 on the coloring but for the next prototype I think the suede should be colored darker possibly or dyed in a way to lose the red undertones so that it has a consistent dark brown.

I must say the fabric quality is excellent and I love the blue lining!

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that Indy applied changes in the middle of construction (different ribbed fabrics), but it was something that had to be noted nonetheless to be complete.
But I meant to be talking about the overall shape, the seams of the sleeves in the armpit section that connect to the torso in a completely different spot, the measurements and ratio of certain measurements compared to one another, the cuffs that look too thin/too short/button caps too close to each other etc. etc.
I think the whole problem of this is that it's using custom measurements to begin with, making it hard for us to judge whether the shape and measurements of the jacket are correct or not. I would say nail down the standard sizing first, use that as the basic model and from there apply the custom measurements that people may want when they order. Now it's a mash up of somewhat random measurements and shapes that we have to judge on its authentic look while it's using measurements that can actually change the whole model and shape of the jacket to begin with and thus interfere with the authentic look it tries to achieve.

Also, what I was trying to say is that everything is documented down to the very bone and every comment of what could be wrong with the jacket would basically just be copy-pasting what's already documented in the documents. I feel like repeating myself over and over again.

However I do have to say that it does look like it's quality stuff and well-constructed. And the things I didn't comment on should be regarded as perfectly fine. The lining does look nice, although it does look quite blue.

As for the coloring, again it's tricky. On some pictures it looks very red, on others it looks quite dark brown. It would be nice if I could get some suede samples one way or another of various brown colors to directly compare it to the original jacket. Same with stitch thread and ribbed fabric.

P.S. I may be wrong, but it does appear to me that the tape color of the zipper is not YKK color code 916 (black brown).

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of the fact that Indy applied changes in the middle of construction (different ribbed fabrics), but it was something that had to be noted nonetheless to be complete.
But I meant to be talking about the overall shape, the seams of the sleeves in the armpit section that connect to the torso in a completely different spot, the measurements and ratio of certain measurements compared to one another, the cuffs that look too thin/too short/button caps too close to each other etc. etc.
I think the whole problem of this is that it's using custom measurements to begin with, making it hard for us to judge whether the shape and measurements of the jacket are correct or not. I would say nail down the standard sizing first, use that as the basic model and from there apply the custom measurements that people may want when they order. Now it's a mash up of somewhat random measurements and shapes that we have to judge on its authentic look while it's using measurements that can actually change the whole model and shape of the jacket to begin with and thus interfere with the authentic look it tries to achieve.

Also, what I was trying to say is that everything is documented down to the very bone and every comment of what could be wrong with the jacket would basically just be copy-pasting what's already documented in the documents. I feel like repeating myself over and over again.

However I do have to say that it does look like it's quality stuff and well-constructed. And the things I didn't comment on should be regarded as perfectly fine. The lining does look nice, although it does look quite blue.

As for the coloring, again it's tricky. On some pictures it looks very red, on others it looks quite dark brown. It would be nice if I could get some suede samples one way or another of various brown colors to directly compare it to the original jacket. Same with stitch thread and ribbed fabric.

P.S. I may be wrong, but it does appear to me that the tape color of the zipper is not YKK color code 916 (black brown).
Totally agreed. So basically it comes down to what you mentioned above with the back curve along with increasing the area of the back suede, as well as the collar stitching, armpit seam and everything else you listed

Good eye on the tape color of the zipper, I could tell it was slightly different but wasn't sure if it was the shape or color. Also noted the pocket zippers seemed to be identical to the main zipper when they should be the M86A65 I think that's what we agreed was the most accurate one here's the link http://www.idealfastener.com/zippers/search/653/size:@08

826.jpg

I'm excited to see the next iteration hopefully with these changes implemented it should look spot on!

Working on v2 right now... thanks for all the input. Stay tuned! ;)

Hey Indy have a couple of suggestions for the collar it does look very bright to me it could be the photo although, if it was a darker colour would suit better?

Also just looking at the shape of the body it still looks a little boxy to me and not athletic looking but that could be down to the body type of the model, quick question on the sleeves and arm holes when you lift your harm does the whole coat rise up and feel limited? If so any chance could maybe sort that out?

Sizing will be up to the customer. You can have the shoulders, chest and bottom width however you want to get the cut you're after. Similarly, our measurement form has a place for armhole width, so you can specify this as well.

Alright!! So Magnoli, I would def buy from you! But I'm "ballin on a budget" here and am trying to keep it in a $150 range. So is Whitesheep the way to go? Suzahdi? If so, is there anything I should ask for specifically (type of fabric for the collar/underarm, zipper, sleeve length, buttons, anything)? Thanks guys

I just talked to our printer about updating the lining color (just approved the new color scheme). So we are working on it... but need to get these Solo Suede Jackets out the door first. Once those are done... the Grimes Suede will be the big focus.

I just talked to our printer about updating the lining color (just approved the new color scheme). So we are working on it... but need to get these Solo Suede Jackets out the door first. Once those are done... the Grimes Suede will be the big focus.

I hope this thread Isn’t dead, because I’m still holding out hope that these jackets are still getting made.. and I’m more than willing to pay.. also on another note, the sad news of Ricks depature In the series seems like an even more reason to pay homage by purchasing his jacket. Sigh

We're already offering these on our site. The final updated photos won't be ready for a couple of weeks, but you can order anytime: http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/gri...ather-jackets-by-magnoli-clothiers-p-820.html
Have they been taken yet? If there's any glimpse of them we can see I'd love to have a look at the updates :)

Also, somewhat related but I'm really bummed about all the cast leaving news now. Devastated about Andy Lincoln leaving but I wish him the best. Looks like the shows really dying at this point :/

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back