Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I'm am still trying to figure out how I'll watch this in Canada.

At this point, I wish I could just buy it on the PlayStation Network or Google play. I would GLADLY pay for it episode at a time

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's on Crave TV, which is Bell's streaming service. But I also think Space is actually airing it every week

It's on Crave TV, which is Bell's streaming service. But I also think Space is actually airing it every week
I looked at crave. But other than letterkenny (and now this) it didn't interest me.

I would much rather just pay for each episode

Liked:

- The Production design continues to be a win. I love the tech level and look. (excluding continuity problems and starship design)
- Saru-- I think he's a cool design and no one can act through a ton of latex like Doug Jones
- seeing the crew be more inter-species as the Federation has always been presented as, but make-up budgets never allowed for. Would love to see some familiar races.
- Green's subtle acting. She's not an Oscar-speech giver, but she carries herself in a very alien way. I don't know that it's Vulcan, but it's clearly not human, which is fun
- The Discovery officers; I don't see them playing poker, but that's okay.
- Open titles. At first it felt like a production design showcase, but now I'm seeing the Davinci Sketchbook angle and kinda like it

Disliked:

- The Discovery's design. For me, Star Trek's classic designs are the TOS movie era. Nothing will ever top that
- It's Section 31 the starship; I fully get that Roddenberry's no-conflict future and perfect Federation society makes conflict hard-- but I never loved Starfleet having slippery morals
- super magic spore space travel. If you can beam/travel anywhere at any time, it really sucks the air out of the adventure of exploration
- the whole no-one-wants-to-sit-by-me is about the oldest trope there is
- I got Rathar vibes while they were exploring the Glen; another super tired trope
- the allegories were weak; Alice in Wonderland and Fortune Cookies-- very on the nose and pat

I'm still in for now, and over all enjoying it.

If they get a second season, maybe they will change course.
Caught a Voyager the other day, I forgot so many it's been enjoyable to catch them again.
This ep was on, and it's an example of "throw me a bone now and then" and I can be content with a lot of other stuff.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/One_Small_Step_(episode)

SEVEN: I'm receiving telemetry from the probe. It appears to have entered a stable core within the anomaly. The gravimetric forces are negligible.
TUVOK: The eye of the storm.
SEVEN: An apt metaphor.
TUVOK: Computer, run a multispectral analysis of the anomaly's core.
COMPUTER: Analysis in progress.
SEVEN: The Borg developed shields to get through the gravimetric currents. They intended to dissipate the anomaly from within. Perhaps we should continue their efforts.
TUVOK: It would be short-sighted to destroy it. We should study the phenomenon.
SEVEN: I didn't realise you shared this crew's penchant for exploration.
TUVOK: I am a Starfleet officer.
SEVEN: When the risks outweigh the potential gain, exploration is illogical.
TUVOK: We can't predict what we might find here, Seven. One must allow for the unexpected discovery.
COMPUTER: Core analysis complete.
SEVEN: There are more that two point eight billion compounds in the core.
TUVOK: Fascinating.

Sounds like the analysis of the Graviton Ellipse from "One Small Step".
A great episode.

I like the show far more than Enterprise and Voyager with the exception of the Klingons, who now look like Hitch hiker's guide Vogons stuffed into wicker baskets.

Vogon_jelzt_reading_poetry.png

Sounds like the analysis of the Graviton Ellipse from "One Small Step".
A great episode.

Yes. It was Star Trek. It's a what Trek is all about episode. When Seven puts the Starfleet vector emblem on the lost heroic astronaut's remains? great moment.
For sure watch it if your someone who did not spend time with Voyager. Honestly it clearly hit me more now then back then I'm so starved for such things.

So I've now seen the third episode. I'm just going to put this out there.

This show will mess with Canon far more than Enterprise ever did.

In fact, I think it will make people long for the weekly adventures of captain Archer.

When nu-galactica ended, I was done with stuff like that. Sure, I loved that show. But I also need other types of shows. not everything needs to be angst-ridden and serialized. I want adventure!

Last edited:
Yes. It was Star Trek. It's a what Trek is all about episode. When Seven puts the Starfleet vector emblem on the lost heroic astronaut's remains? great moment.
For sure watch it if your someone who did not spend time with Voyager. Honestly it clearly hit me more now then back then I'm so starved for such things.

Trust me I spent and still spend a lot of time with Voyager and Enterprise, DS9 and TNG. I grew up watching those series during my formative years and their scientifically, morally backed, intelligent stories contributed to who I am today.
I only hope those who grow up with Discovery as their first Trek series aren't going to be given a message of darkness and doom and gloom with the war arc which thus far seems to be dominating the series.
We shall have to wait and see where it goes.

For me, I always go back to, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Archer for my Trek fix and to a lesser degree, Kirk, he was a bit before my time.

I finally saw the first 3 episodes and my biggest question is how many freaking producers do they have on that show? Most of the opening credits are just to list the producers and executive producers.

I will say this about the show. As science fiction I like it. As Star Trek it blows 50 years of canon out of the water and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

One thing I DO like: seeing the war through the eyes of a science vessel's crew. The Enterprises (from Archer to Picard) may not have been purposely designed as combat vessels, but they were certainly capable of combat, and were usually in the thick of things during any battles.

Putting science and research ships in harm's way in a war would be a horrible idea, so a show built around having the fighting done "offstage" could be interesting if done right. (Or mind-numbingly boring if done wrong.)

I doubt the show will do that sort of thing, though.

One thing I DO like: seeing the war through the eyes of a science vessel's crew. The Enterprises (from Archer to Picard) may not have been purposely designed as combat vessels, but they were certainly capable of combat, and were usually in the thick of things during any battles.

Putting science and research ships in harm's way in a war would be a horrible idea, so a show built around having the fighting done "offstage" could be interesting if done right. (Or mind-numbingly boring if done wrong.)

I doubt the show will do that sort of thing, though.

Voyager was a science vessel. They were involved with warfare, Year in Hell, etc.

I would've loved to see a story around a war vessel.
50 years of science, peace keeping, indirect battles.
I want to see the dark side of war...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back