The Fifth Element - Element Stones WIP

@cavx Thanks so much. Yeah I used the scene where Dallas took the stones out of the Diva because there's a really clear shot where he's holding it in one hand and you can scale/estimate the size from how it would fit your own hand, that along with my own small hands means mine are only 8" high compared to the 10-11 that seems to be more accurate. I agree that when I compare mine to those at the end they do seem bigger.

I think there was an acceptance for 9" or 225mm. Having started out at 290mm (about 11.5"), these were way too tall for my liking, so I went 240mm (about 9.5") because the pattern seems to be 120mm high (for the horizontals) and half pattern and half blank looks neat, to me anyway.

My template has been printed out to be 9" or 225mm and at that height, slightly smaller than the 120mm width of the stones. This will work out in my favor as it will pull the pattern in from the flat edge slightly more than is shown on the graphic. My MDF is being cut at 240mm x 120mm. We shall see how this comes together when I get my bits back from the cutter.

I think there was an acceptance for 9" or 225mm. Having started out at 290mm (about 11.5"), these were way too tall for my liking, so I went 240mm (about 9.5") because the pattern seems to be 120mm high (for the horizontals) and half pattern and half blank looks neat, to me anyway.

My template has been printed out to be 9" or 225mm and at that height, slightly smaller than the 120mm width of the stones. This will work out in my favor as it will pull the pattern in from the flat edge slightly more than is shown on the graphic. My MDF is being cut at 240mm x 120mm. We shall see how this comes together when I get my bits back from the cutter.

Cool, look forward to seeing the next steps!

I totally agree, to my eye the patterns go exactly halway up.

Rob

I looked at my old thread and found that I actually had 9.5" as my personal height preference for the stones.
The CNC routed set I put up in the Junkyard the other night was one of my preliminary mock-ups that was 10.5" in height.
The stones being sold on ebay which I also own are 8.5" in height and looks a bit too short in hand, so going with 9" or 9.5" is a good call.

I attempted this two years ago for my then girlfriend who was a HUGE Fifth Element fan. I went to the hardware store and bought the thick pink insulating foam sheets and created a block form by gluing to pieces together and then used a Dremel to carve out the tops, the edges and patterns within each individual and unique stone. After that was done, sanded, and I was satisfied I then covered them in basic drywall spackling. After one or two coats I had a "stone" texture.

Then onto the painting. Different shades of browns created the color of the stones and then as far as the "shadows", "aging" and "lines" I simply watered down some black acrylic paint and sponged it gingerly around each stone.

The lights are small circular battery powered twist on and off "tea lights" I ordered online cheap.

Let me know if you have further questions or just wanted to tell me what you think of the finished project.

Stones.JPG

By the WAY TuskenRaider... your stones look AMAZING. Good Job!

-Ash

Ash, they look the bomb. That is the look I am hoping to get. The tea lights I bought have a yellow bulb, so it tints the all the colous except yellow. And they flicker. I guess they are supposed to look like candles. What I did find in my stash was an LED torch that is both super bright and really small. I am sure these are only 2 or 3 each, and this one is several years old and still going strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the little torch.

032bc92e314a27aecc4c87caee019e24.jpg

And how it lights up a stone.

ead1946dccbd52a1643935f2057fd6c4.jpg

You will notice that the cut out in the top is triangular. I have considered making the pillars of light from clear resin that I will tint with clear pigments.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This will be how I will do the version 2 of my Stones.

Attachments

• 5th Element Stones version 2.jpg
    5th Element Stones version 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 110
Cameron - yes they are

Cavx - They're about 6 cm tall each.....and thanks for noticing the 'Air' mistake

Are these solid? Mine are hollow for lighting.

If I can, I will add those little parts that stick out parts. Would be awesome if I could get them to pivot. That might be confusing my abilities and desires.

Are these solid? Mine are hollow for lighting.

If I can, I will add those little parts that stick out parts. Would be awesome if I could get them to pivot. That might be confusing my abilities and desires.

These are solid, Really ;loving your build - would be awesome if they could pivot, but look ace anyway.

Well beyond my knowledge, but could you put a coloured acrylic insert in that you can pull up and as you do pivots the edges?

These are solid, Really ;loving your build - would be awesome if they could pivot, but look ace anyway.

Well beyond my knowledge, but could you put a coloured acrylic insert in that you can pull up and as you do pivots the edges?

If I can, I will make a mold of the centre column, then cast each in clear that is tinted transparent colour. I have all found colours already.

The little bits might have to be made by molding and casting the sides, so the patterns line up after they are cut out.

For some reason, Sketch Up does not offer transparent red.

If this, (see image) plus the small wedge bits that stick out, could be done, it would take this prop to pure awesome.

Attachments

• 5th Element Stones version 3.jpg
    5th Element Stones version 3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 75

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back