Star Wars VII Soccer Ball Droid

For me, the domed flat bottom head and the ball body don't gel together as a design - like two random shapes thrown together with little thought of practical functionality.

I have to agree. It's like they sat in a design meeting and 5 minutes later said "just stick an R2 like head on a ball" to me it looks and moves too weird. I don't have a problem with a ball droid, but sticking an R2 like dome on it seems like lazy designing.

So here is my concept of how the droid would work in real life...

So think of a Segway...

The mechanism inside would hold drive motors to propel the ball, power source, cpu, gyro etc... It would use something like the Segway uses to keep it upright even when you fall off, this would keep this mech. inside the ball vertical or near vertical at all times. Now the head would be held in place by magnets. Would think a donut type where you have an attracting force in the center and a repeling force around the permiter. Using electromagnetic tech, the forces could be adjusted as needed to either put some space between the head and ball, or secure it closely. i think this would be useful in terrain, more space for the bumps, less bounce on the head. As for rotating the head using magnets, again some sort ring that has a magnet that attracts a single spot on the head could rotate, dragging the had with it. I am no expert on magnetic forces, but given the other science bypasses the Star Wars universe uses....why not ;)

Actually this is a very technologically plausible way to replicate this droid, the ball would house the arduino (you don't need 4 computers today, it can be done with little electronics, instructables has a load of seg-things for people to see), the gyros and acelerometer. Quite obviously you need the ability to roll the ball on many directions wich would complicate the build, but I'm guessing at a glance it can be done, inside, a crown of electromagnets could maintain the head in its proper place. I'm sure the more experienced droid-builders are already dusting off their engineering heads to make it happen!

nice article and thoughts on the new droid

http://jalopnik.com/lets-take-a-deep-look-at-the-droid-in-the-new-star-wars-1664482684

w8awyp0qh5uet8brnjxs.gif

Actually this is a very technologically plausible way to replicate this droid, the ball would house the arduino (you don't need 4 computers today, it can be done with little electronics, instructables has a load of seg-things for people to see), the gyros and acelerometer. Quite obviously you need the ability to roll the ball on many directions wich would complicate the build, but I'm guessing at a glance it can be done, inside, a crown of electromagnets could maintain the head in its proper place. I'm sure the more experienced droid-builders are already dusting off their engineering heads to make it happen!

The problem with all the unbroken-ball theories so far is that perching something on top of a ball stably is near impossible. So any type of mechanism to keep the head on top of the ball will be constantly moving--the droid will never be able to sit still. Even when not in motion, it'd be rolling around with small correctional movements like a hyperactive toddler.

You COULD bypass the counterweight entirely with literally the same concept of a segway--just replace the tires with hemispheres and the hipster holder with an astromech head, but there would still be a seam because both hemispheres would need to operate independently to maintain balance.

I would have a ball under the head, like a mouse-ball, to keep it moving fluidly over the sphere. Then...ugh, who knows? Very weak magnets studded around the inside of the sphere so anywhere it rolled the head would roll to the next magnet and "stick"? I'm having trouble envisioning magnets weak enough to let the ball roll while the head stays stationary, but then strong enough to hold the head when the ball stops. Because I assume the head isn't riding on a stick along some equator, right? The little guy looks like he swerves a bit in the vid.

EDIT: if this is a puppet riding on two hemispheres, do people replicate the puppet or the look of it AFTER digital enhancement (when the seam is removed)? I think we need a LOT more info!

The Segway idea is exactly what I mean, however what AndyJ points out is true: the "self-correcting" mechanism of the segway would force the droid into a hyperactive frenzy constantly correcting the tendency of the head to fall off, but the hemispheric alternative completely does away with the 360 degree steering, so I'm guessing the hyperactive droid is a much better idea, if we forgive him his jitter. I guess a way to counter this COULD be that when roll-droid here stops some "auxiliary feet" pop out and the head sticks magnetically to the ball, of course that adds another level of complexity, it could be discarded in favor of simplicity albeit the hyperactiveness. Again, just tossing out ideas.

Just seen the trailer for episode 7 and thought this droid looked awesome. I started creating a model to 3D print. I still need to add more details but I just wanted to try and get the model done ASAP. The model is 1:1 scale with the head being roughly being the same diameter as R2's but I can change this later when theres more details.
DROID.jpg

Ive put the model on Thingiverse ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:570274 ) so everyone can have it, enjoy.

Aarrgh, there's too many awesome droids I want to build. I'm like an obese person who can't stop reading food catalogues.

Robot Line Up

1. 1:3rd Scale Baymax
2. M-O (possibly incorporate rollerball drive train technique into him based on this)
3. Rolly Droid from Star Wars 7

Thanks for the file lilykill! I'm going to try and print one using my company's 3D ProJet.

Lucas originally wanted R2 to have a ball on the bottom, but the technology wasn't available to pull it off.

I'm a little dubious on using Sphero to drive the robot. For one thing, the robot's outer casing does not stay fixed, it spins along with the robot. Thus, in order to create something like our Rolly friend, you'd still be restricted to using electro magnets to compensate for the spinning rollerball (which- I still don't get that method, why don't the electromagnets slow down the robot? Or create an imbalance causing it to topple over- could someone explain this to me?) or have to build an entire outer casing of which the smaller sphere can rotate freely inside (similar to those plastic rolling eyeballs). However, this introduces a new set of problems- like how does the ball roll in one straight direction while the head can rotate freely on top?

Unless someone wants to invest in a research gyroscope style balancing robot, I'd still say that the best option is still two semispheres with an axel rod through the middle.

Cool models and starts for projects..
I would recommend looking at a few of the old wow wee toys, they have a rolling robot with two wheels and a camerabot called spyball. The way to get around having to have third point on a self balancing vehicle to to have enough weight below the axle to compensate for the stuff your balancing on top. Otherwise you eat up battery and motor just trying to balance the thing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back