Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

If I were you, I'd use acrylic paints, then. In my experience, acrylics go on much thinner than enamels or lacquers.
And you can use regular paint as primer. The trick is to spray it on in little bursts and slowly build it up, rather than just spraying for coverage like you would with a color coat.

I have been using the Army Painter Matt Black color primer rattle can as a black primer coat for black basing, and I have had really good results. I think it is some sort of acrylic, though I have been using it under Tamiya lacquers without a problem. It goes on unbelievably thin (much, much thinner than the lacquer that follows), and the 400ml can goes a long way.

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=15#Matt Black Undercoat

Interesting. I've always been on the fence about primer. Some say it's a necessity, others not so much. With the PG, anything I can do to minimize the amount of paint and keep it from obscuring the details the better. I'll look into it. Thanks, robn1!

I have to disagree here. My rule....ALWAYS prime. This is because one time I didn't prime, and I did a lot of complex masking that eventually pulled paint off the plastic. It was lacquer too, and was supposed to "bond" with the plastic...well, it didn't bond enough. A good primer is not going to obscure detail, because it lays down so thin that the thickness is undetectable to the human eye. The best black primer on the market is Mr. Paint (MRP) Black Primer. Followed close secondly by Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black. Followed closely again by Badger Stynylrez Black.

MRP Black Primer (Lacquer)

http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_product=2209&controller=product

Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black (Must be mixed 50/50 wit Mr. Leveling Thinner to work as an airbrushable primer)

https://www.amazon.com/Finishing-Su...pID=41gujN3C7jL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Badger Stynylrez Black (Non-Toxic)

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-B...pID=41bOmjqmBrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited:

Smell would definitely be an issue. I've got a decent bathroom fan in my paint booth, but even then my family sometimes complains since our TV family room is right next door.

I'll likely stay with acrylics, but I like robn1's suggestion of using the leveling thinner on the black coat to thin it way down. That and Axlotl's slow build up idea is probably the way to go. Hopefully I'll get my black base coat without the build-up. I'll run some tests, of course. I'm still worried about black base coat giving the top coat a bluish hue -- that happened on my Moebius Viper.

Smell would definitely be an issue. I've got a decent bathroom fan in my paint booth, but even then my family sometimes complains since our TV family room is right next door.

I'll likely stay with acrylics, but I like robn1's suggestion of using the leveling thinner on the black coat to thin it way down. That and Axlotl's slow build up idea is probably the way to go. Hopefully I'll get my black base coat without the build-up. I'll run some tests, of course. I'm still worried about black base coat giving the top coat a bluish hue -- that happened on my Moebius Viper.

In that case, use Stynylrez Black Primer. Barely a smell at all, and if you do get a whiff, it smells like bubbles.

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-B...pID=41bOmjqmBrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have to disagree here. My rule....ALWAYS prime. This is because one time I didn't prime, and I did a lot of complex masking that eventually pulled paint off the plastic.

Oh crap, don't confuse me with contrary opinions! :lol How is Mr. Paint thickness-wise? Would it need to be thinned?

Oh crap, don't confuse me with contrary opinions! :lol How is Mr. Paint thickness-wise? Would it need to be thinned?

Mr. Paint (MRP) is to be used straight out of the bottle unchanged. However, it's a toxic lacquer, so if you are spraying indoors, that's a no-no. For a really good Non-Toxic primer go with Stynylrez Black. I linked it above your post.

Great, I saved the link!

On a side note, this is my wife's idea of comedy. She couldn't help teasing me about how excited I am to get the kit. Draw your own conclusions.

IMG_8524.JPG

I mean, she's not wrong... :lol

In that case, use Stynylrez Black Primer. Barely a smell at all, and if you do get a whiff, it smells like bubbles.

I might even suggest Stynylrez Gloss Black, just for that extra smoothness.It's self-levelling and picks out detail beautifully. It's going to be my primer for this kit, although I think I'll use the gray instead of black primer as I think the latter would be too dark to have to get enough coats of white to obscure it and thus muddy the detail.

So, which paints and primers are bad for Bandai's plastic?

Hi, first post here! I have primed some parts and see no loss of detail.

Mr.Finishing Surfacer 1500 + Mr.Color Leveling Thinner.

IMG_5922.JPGIMG_5921.JPGIMG_5920.JPGFullSizeRender 21.jpg

wut? Those images were all randomly rotated during upload.

Note that the close-up shots are REALLY close. So close that every teeny surface imperfection screams. From human distances, like below, it all looks nice and smooth.

IMG_5923.JPG

koueISA.jpg

Finally!!!

Also: I don’t know how many times I’ve read comments about how massive and amazing this kit is, but I was still unprepared. Holy crapinowski this thing is epic.

I might even suggest Stynylrez Gloss Black.... It's going to be my primer for this kit...

That's my plan for screwing up this gorgeous kit when I finally get my hands on it:
Prime with a gloss paint. Probably not black, though. I'll use a dark brown, because I like a warm Falcon.

I finally got mine delivered last night around 9:30 pm. It is even more wonderful in person than I imagined. Now, like many others, I am having issues with where to start. Some have built the whole kit and then done the finishing/weathering. Others have built and finished in segments and then assembled. I just don't know. Plus there is the primer/don't primer issue covered above. My Hobby Shop guy (Andy's Hobby Headquarters in Glendale AZ) says don't bother to primer. What to do, what to do ...

Sure. I often tint my primers. I used a custom-mixed brown primer (i.e.: paint) on my 1/144 Bandai Falcon, and it looks great so far.
(Maybe one day I'll finish it and post some pics...)
Show us what you've got so far. I'd like to see it.

The one thought on DanielB's fear about paint lifting off while masking is that maybe that won't be as much of an issue on the Falcon since it's so heavily weathered. On, say, the 1701-refit while doing azteks and masks, primer absolutely. Peeling paint on a Falcon seems par for the course! I know I use a low tack delicate surface Frog tape when masking and haven't have issues so far (but then again I've often used Tamiya fine surface primer in the past).

I might even suggest Stynylrez Gloss Black, just for that extra smoothness.It's self-levelling and picks out detail beautifully. It's going to be my primer for this kit, although I think I'll use the gray instead of black primer as I think the latter would be too dark to have to get enough coats of white to obscure it and thus muddy the detail.

So, which paints and primers are bad for Bandai's plastic?

How do you spray your Gloss Black Stynylrez? Anytime I've done it, it leaves a slight orange peel.

The one thought on DanielB's fear about paint lifting off while masking is that maybe that won't be as much of an issue on the Falcon since it's so heavily weathered. On, say, the 1701-refit while doing azteks and masks, primer absolutely. Peeling paint on a Falcon seems par for the course! I know I use a low tack delicate surface Frog tape when masking and haven't have issues so far (but then again I've often used Tamiya fine surface primer in the past).

I haven't used proper primer on any of my bandai models. I just use flat black tamiya from a rattle can.

No problems at all

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back