Things you're tired of seeing in movies

That's when they the crisis negotiation stuff comes into play!

On topic, I'll throw out one I'm sure someone else has mentioned in all of these pages: that when someone is watching others with binoculars, you can often hear what those people are saying! Magic!

Andy

Another exchange I love!

Super Secret Government Agent Guy: Who's in charge here?

Local Law Enforcement Guy: I'm the Chief of Police and I'm in charge here

Super Secret Government Agent: (Long pause) Not anymore

Die Hard was the only movie that got it right and made it cool! ;)

To be fair, I do ask it like that on bigger crime scenes. :D

HA! That's great!

Sometimes I teach screenwriting and I always have students that want to adapt some anecdote from their life. And when it doesn't flow like a story should I point it out, and they always say "But that's how it happened." Real life doesn't make for 2 hour stories!

HA! That's great!

Sometimes I teach screenwriting and I always have students that want to adapt some anecdote from their life. And when it doesn't flow like a story should I point it out, and they always say "But that's how it happened." Real life doesn't make for 2 hour stories!

On a related note, the same goes for any kind of war movie set in any period, people complain (rightly) that everything/everybody is too close together, they aren't spread out enough. Even though this is a valid criticism you can't always space people or vehicles out properly because realistic spacing would mean that you would only have one person/plane/tank in frame unless you pulled way back, in which case everything then looks really small.

Spacing Everything Out...

As a kid I remember watching M*A*S*H and had the hardest time trying to figure out how in some scenes the tents and people were so far away and in other scenes they were up close and the tents were all pushed together and piled on top of each other.

On a related note, the same goes for any kind of war movie set in any period, people complain (rightly) that everything/everybody is too close together, they aren't spread out enough. Even though this is a valid criticism you can't always space people or vehicles out properly because realistic spacing would mean that you would only have one person/plane/tank in frame unless you pulled way back, in which case everything then looks really small.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love most of those "Hitler rants" clips, not the least because it is a stellar performance by Bruno Gans, those videos only work for someone who doesn't understand a single word of German. Unfortunately, I do. It's a second language to me. So, the cognitive dissonance is strong in these clips... Ah well...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I absolutely love most of those "Hitler rants" clips, not the least because it is a stellar performance by Bruno Gans, those videos only work for someone who doesn't understand a single word of German. Unfortunately, I do. It's a second language to me. So, the cognitive dissonance is strong in these clips... Ah well...

Heh. Maybe you need to watch them with the sound muted.

I kind of feel bad for Gans. The movie is most well-remembered for the parodies. But his perfect performance is what makes these clips work so well.

Heh. Maybe you need to watch them with the sound muted.

I kind of feel bad for Gans. The movie is most well-remembered for the parodies. But his perfect performance is what makes these clips work so well.
I actually watched it two or three weeks ago and it was a really good movie.

Bad science. They screw up stuff that people with a high school education and a tiny bit of research should get right. This was TV, but I am watching an episode of Voyager and the are talking about how dangerous 500 degrees Kelvin is. That's around 226 c or 440 f. And there was an explosion when they tried to teleport some deuterium. That's just an isotope of hydrogen.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Bad science. They screw up stuff that people with a high school education and a tiny bit of research should get right. This was TV, but I am watching an episode of Voyager and the are talking about how dangerous 500 degrees Kelvin is. That's around 226 c or 440 f. And there was an explosion when they tried to teleport some deuterium. That's just an isotope of hydrogen.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

I do know what you mean and I'm really not disagreeing with you but that is why it is called Science Fiction. That way they can do whatever they want and it doesn't have to make any sense in the real world.

Why is it always a main character, or important person, that's the last one standing in a battle or fight? Thousand people get slaughtered, and yet it's the prince, or king, or whoever, that's stumbling around, the last to die, usually after a poetic moment with a villain, or loved one that came upon them at the last possible moment.

Why is it always a main character, or important person, that's the last one standing in a battle or fight? Thousand people get slaughtered, and yet it's the prince, or king, or whoever, that's stumbling around, the last to die, usually after a poetic moment with a villain, or loved one that came upon them at the last possible moment.

In a similar vein to this, seeing the Hero character fight completely unrealistically in a period piece battle is something that makes me cringe every time I see it. Especially if it involves dramatic spins and flourishes that would get any regular foot soldier instantly killed. Hollywood has never really captured what a terrifying grind it was to fight in medieval battles. Braveheart is notably one of the worst movies I've seen in regards to cinematic battles (and history, but that's another story) and period fighting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back