The Meg (Post-release)

What did you think of The Meg?

• Total voters
Re: The Meg (2018)

All I got out of this was they put Jessica McNamee(dancing with the stars) .

That can't be what your known for .
its like an oxymoronic type deal .
You have to be a star to get on the show already !!!!

Makes her seem like a Kardashian .

Just sayin.

Statham , sci fi channel type shark , ahhh I'll wait till it's out on um...... I don't know whatever format they have it on in 40 years at the old folks home , I figure if they put it on then I'll be to damn old and senile to get up and change it .

Re: Meg (2018) Pre-Release

I

With that being said... I could actually stomach a Jaws reboot... or maybe even a sequel. Mainly because I like seeing how well they can match today's actors to the originals. It would be a daunting task. Dreyfus was perfect in that movie. Robert Shaw was amazing. Scheider was easily overshadowed by those two but was still good. I'd love to see them try to match it without going all Hollywood and plugging popcorn actors in and making it more of a SFX movie than a true-to-source-material movie. Making a Jaws that's more true to the book wouldn't count as a reboot of the movie as much as a purist version.

Tom Cruise as Brody.
Gary Oldman as Quint
Jessica Chastain as Hooper

Re: Meg (2018) Pre-Release

Tom Cruise as Brody.
Gary Oldman as Quint
Jessica Chastain as Hooper

I always pictured
Brody: Nathan Fillion
Quint: Viggo Mortenson
Hooper: Evan Peters if he could pull off a beard

B-Team
Brody: Jon Hamm
Quint: Michael Shannon
Hooper: A slightly slimmer Clark Duke if he could pull off a beard

RPF member Plasticfan has been the cover artist for the book series for about a decade. I wonder if he got to do any work on the film poster?

Saw it last night; wasn't expecting Shakespeare but I expected a shark to appear in a movie about a giant shark. Pretty much all the scenes with the shark are in the trailers.
First kill wasn't until over an hour into the movie and even then no blood or gore at all. Just water splash and then the person was gone, Jaws was gorier.
t was on par with something you'd see on the SyFy channel

Saw it last night; wasn't expecting Shakespeare but I expected a shark to appear in a movie about a giant shark. Pretty much all the scenes with the shark are in the trailers.
First kill wasn't until over an hour into the movie and even then no blood or gore at all. Just water splash and then the person was gone, Jaws was gorier.
t was on par with something you'd see on the SyFy channel
This is exactly what I came here to say. It was very disappointing, predictable, and took itself WAY too seriously, I was looking for some campy fun, but nope. Could have been on the Syfy channel. And the blatant obviousness that it was co-produced in China speaks volumes. I know I wasnt expecting any decent acting but MAN. Talk about cringeworthy. Im actually trying to think of a scene with the shark in it that wasnt in the trailers...

This is exactly what I came here to say. It was very disappointing, predictable, and took itself WAY too seriously, I was looking for some campy fun, but nope. Could have been on the Syfy channel. And the blatant obviousness that it was co-produced in China speaks volumes. I know I wasnt expecting any decent acting but MAN. Talk about cringeworthy. Im actually trying to think of a scene with the shark in it that wasnt in the trailers...
As someone who read the book, it's really a shame. There were so many cool scenes in the book with the shark eating a helicopter or just the various ways it killed people off I'm surprised none of it made it to the movie.
Even the way the shark is killed in the book was infinitely better. This film could have gotten away with so much over the top action and it was instead just squandered for a film I walked out of thinking "Eh" about.

As someone who read the book, it's really a shame. There were so many cool scenes in the book with the shark eating a helicopter or just the various ways it killed people off I'm surprised none of it made it to the movie.
Even the way the shark is killed in the book was infinitely better. This film could have gotten away with so much over the top action and it was instead just squandered for a film I walked out of thinking "Eh" about.
How did it die in the book?

- - - Updated - - -

Damn!

I was looking forward to this
I know man me too, I hate getting my hopes up and having them smashed. I now understand why cynical people exist lol.

The main character and his damaged sub were swallowed whole by the shark. So he had to force his way back out through the sharks mouth tearing out it's organs with him.

Actually, getting out was incidental. He got swallowed and intended to kamikaze by hacking his way into the shark's internal organs and cutting out its heart. Only after the fact did he realize he could escape.

Sounds like it could have been a great B - Movie Summer popcorn flick, which is what I thought was what we were getting.

Thanks oblagon and Snikt for taking the blows on this so others here would not have to! :thumbsup

How did it die in the book?

I forget, it's been a while since I've read the book. All I can remember was the hero blinding it with high a high powered light but for the life of me I can't remember how he killed it. I think that it had something to ramming a one man mini sub into its mouth and then getting out in an escape capsule or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, getting out was incidental. He got swallowed and intended to kamikaze by hacking his way into the shark's internal organs and cutting out its heart. Only after the fact did he realize he could escape.

In other words, the screenwriter saw Guardians 2 and liked what Drax was doing with the space slug and though it would be a great idea to incorporate that idea into this movie.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back