Thorssoli's T-60 Power Armor Build from Fallout 4

Amidst all the praise and excited applause, I'm going to be the wet blanket and give you... Constructive criticism! : D

I've noticed a bit of a trend with your armors. They are all incredibly well made, sturdy and authentic. Each individual piece is a marvel to behold in itself. HOWEVER, it's when you put all the pieces together that things could be better. I've noticed the fit on a lot of your armors (especially this one) could use some more work.

Building the internal skeleton of a giant armor to make it sit comfortably and move realistically on a human-sized person may be one of the most tedious and boring parts of a build like this, but it's one of the most important steps for creating something convincing. Making sure the person wearing the costume can move freely without having to worry about parts coming loose or slipping down into unwanted positions is really important, and judging by the video on the Tested channel, that's where this particular armor falls short.

One last thing I want to touch on is the detailing inbetween the large pieces of hard armor. In fallout 4, pretty much all the gaps in the armor are filled with little mechanical details from the armor "frame" underneath which makes it look very convincing. I'm not saying you should build an entire armor frame to go underneath your already amazing armor, but adding a bit more details to fill out the gaps will make a ton of difference. Right now it looks like you're using a big set of janitor overalls for an undersuit with the armor pieces loosely attached to the fabric using velcro rather than the sturdy mechanical shell that is the T-60 power armor.

Again, I want to stress that the armor is still incredible and is pretty much THE best T-60 cosplay armor that exists. All the points I bring up are just things that could elevate it even further.

I've noticed the fit on a lot of your armors (especially this one) could use some more work.

A lot? I've only done two or three large scale armor projects. I thought the final fit on the space marines was pretty good:

Making sure the person wearing the costume can move freely without having to worry about parts coming loose or slipping down into unwanted positions is really important, and judging by the video on the Tested channel, that's where this particular armor falls short.

I didn't rig the one in the Tested video. That was Freddy (it was his personal suit after all) and it was done in a mad rush late at night right before the Faire. The second suit will incorporate a lot of lessons learned from that one. Right now It's almost done. Like I mentioned in my last post, I just have to link up the knees a bit better to keep everything aligned and snug up the attachment points for the upper arms so the forearms don't cover my hands anymore. At this point, it looks about like so:

As you can see, the knees and the overlap on the hands need some attention. I'll get to it.

Right now it looks like you're using a big set of janitor overalls for an undersuit with the armor pieces loosely attached to the fabric using velcro rather than the sturdy mechanical shell that is the T-60 power armor.

In everything I've seen, once the armor shell goes on, there's not much of the chassis that's still visible. Just the knobs at the knees and some parts on the inside of the knees and elbows. For the rest, it's just the rubber gaskets and hoses which I think I've done a decent job of simulating:

I don't think it looks like janitor overalls, but maybe they dress differently where you're from. The reason Freddy's suit didn't do quite as good a job of highlighting the details around the waist is because his giant rubber shorts (aka: "Thunderwear") weren't padded or painted like mine were in the goofy little oompa loompa video I posted the other day. His were just hanging limp and flaccid inside of the hard parts.

I appreciate your feedback, but I wonder if maybe you didn't see any of my posts after the Tested video. In any case, rest assured. I'm on it.

Either way, thank you.

Last edited:
So I finally got one of the finished pics from that photoshoot I mentioned:

While I was waiting, I went ahead and shanghaied another photographer friend of mine and did a quick shoot with a couple of pieces of my dad's old car collection. Here's the first teaser pic I got from her:

And a couple I snapped with my cell phone during that shoot:

As you can see, I changed the rigging on the legs. I'm much happier with the stance and mobility now. I still need to lengthen the handles on the hands though. They're not quite there yet. Stay tuned for more photos.

At long last, I've finally gotten finished photos from my friend Hep. There's a lot of things I can say about them, but I think they're better served by just posting them here.

42780159035_9c72f2400c_c.jpg

43682892411_e9f3e4ed0b_c.jpg

42780159455_310768e5dd_c.jpg

28793936047_0e834a426a_c.jpg

42780159755_ddd900f570_c.jpg

42780160075_88996988e2_c.jpg

43682890801_b9dc675490_c.jpg

42780158045_d0daa9f916_c.jpg

42780157435_5acb288ef2_c.jpg

42780156975_f228d9e1a7_c.jpg

43682888461_b017be8173_c.jpg

I've also just gotten the finished pics from the previous shoot, so stay tuned for even more photos once I have a chance to pick through them.

Bravo! You've captured the rustic feel incredibly well. The suit looks really eerie when put in a real world context. You also seem to have fixed the issues you were talking about regarding the alignment. The legs look fantastic!

Several of those pics near the cars look like me in the game thinking "WTH has no one got a car working in these recent games?!" :lol At least in New Vegas they were smart enough to make carts out of car wheels/axles!

Just wanted to pop in (after some fallout 76 rabbit-hole'ing) and say that armor is probably the best example of game-to-real life translation I've ever seen. Your exhaustive photo-documentation and attention to detail is seriously incredible! Bravo!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back