Star Wars Room Build - UPDATED!

Re: The Smugglers Room - My Re-Imagined & Definitive Rebuild . . .

I wish I had taken down all the original artist names so I could pass along credit.

From a traditional artist's perspective, that is SUPER important to me. I save the images I grab from the Net as "Artitst - 01 - Name of Piece (given by artist)".

It's difficult sometimes to track down the artist when finding the images on Google, Pinterest, etc., but I do my best to do so.

I saved an image of a lightsaber crystal chamber a few years ago, just a wee little pic, searched and searched for a larger image but couldn't find it. Found some finally last year, figured out who it was renamed the file and then started digging for even larger images. Found a couple images of it on another guy's site, didn't see any credit given to the creater, I started to get a little riled up about it, but before calling the guy out, I dug into it and finally found a mention of credit to the crystal chamber's creater and that the other guy had just done the assembly and weathering on the rest of the build. I still think the builder's site should make mention of the crystal chamber's creater beneath the image, but whatever, they're member's here and seem to be cool with it the way it is so I'll just keep sitting on my tongue. <---- Except for this of course. Anywho...

@SofaKing01 's sketches are AWESOME! That's a way cool share there buddy!!! I love that 3 pot container display, SUPER STARWARSY!!!!

Back to @Fuzzual , your room is going to look fantastic if it turns out the way you've been modelling it in 3D! I hope you see it realized someday!

I'm with you on the ship's in those Star Wars contests, some of them should be in the movies!!!

How about "N.H.H." for your ship.... Nerf Herder's Hive?

Re: The Smugglers Room - My Re-Imagined &amp; Definitive Rebuild . . .

From a traditional artist's perspective, that is SUPER important to me. I save the images I grab from the Net as "Artitst - 01 - Name of Piece (given by artist)".

It's difficult sometimes to track down the artist when finding the images on Google, Pinterest, etc., but I do my best to do so.

I saved an image of a lightsaber crystal chamber a few years ago, just a wee little pic, searched and searched for a larger image but couldn't find it. Found some finally last year, figured out who it was renamed the file and then started digging for even larger images. Found a couple images of it on another guy's site, didn't see any credit given to the creater, I started to get a little riled up about it, but before calling the guy out, I dug into it and finally found a mention of credit to the crystal chamber's creater and that the other guy had just done the assembly and weathering on the rest of the build. I still think the builder's site should make mention of the crystal chamber's creater beneath the image, but whatever, they're member's here and seem to be cool with it the way it is so I'll just keep sitting on my tongue. <---- Except for this of course. Anywho...

@SofaKing01 's sketches are AWESOME! That's a way cool share there buddy!!! I love that 3 pot container display, SUPER STARWARSY!!!!

Back to @Fuzzual , your room is going to look fantastic if it turns out the way you've been modelling it in 3D! I hope you see it realized someday!

I'm with you on the ship's in those Star Wars contests, some of them should be in the movies!!!

How about "N.H.H." for your ship.... Nerf Herder's Hive?

Thank you so much for that Redire Firean, I am very much in agreement with you, and I certainly will be going back to SketchUp warehouse to find those artists, even before your post it has been bothering me. Having done a ton of this rendering myself, I would be bummed it someone took parts and pieces and claimed them for their own (which I absolutely am not doing, and will be certain to identify and call out which are provided by others soon)

I too hope the room is realized as it is shown. I am highly motivated to get it there, that is for sure, and I'll tell you what, all the work that SofaKing01 has done to help me out, i am sure if I slack off and do not commit he will show up at my door with a not-to-friendly look on his face :wacko

I love the name, that's nice and catchy! I will put it on the list. Thank you for posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
This project will truly be some of your best work. You have learned much in the passed years, and now capable and def skilled to make this happen. I will be glad to help in any way.. I too would like to throw in a name to consider."The Smugglers Hold".
Great renderings bring great projects, good luck to you in your new beginnings.

This project will truly be some of your best work. You have learned much in the passed years, and now capable and def skilled to make this happen. I will be glad to help in any way.. I too would like to throw in a name to consider."The Smugglers Hold".
Great renderings bring great projects, good luck to you in your new beginnings.

I learned it all from you! Thank You!

Damn Brian, this is incredible. Thanks for sharing mate, I'll follow this with great interest.

Highest regards,
MARK

Thank you my friend!!!

subscribed!!!

Thanks OdiWan!

Computer Terminal and Other Interfaces

The Star Wars universe is full of all types of unique objects that represent various computer terminals and interfaces. They are scattered throughout the ships corridors, cockpits, and more. These bits of set pieces are the most interesting to me and the curiosity of what purpose they might serve has always been fascinating. All of that aside, they are just cool right? Unique mix of strange parts, lights, etc. So for the Smugglers Room I wanted a variety of these built.

The first terminal is The 6-inch Data Terminal: Mounted above the 6 inch figure collection. This unit has been primed, but has a good deal more work to be done, but its a start.

34986813574_aa586d2b39_c.jpg

The following two units do not have a name or a specific location in the room yet but I just wanted to get in the swing of things. I am doing a fair amount of traveling for work over the next several weeks, so I wanted to work a bit on the smaller aspects of the room. It helps to feel like your making progress on a large project such as this when you can get something assembled and see significant results. So working on these interfaces are a pretty satisfying way to keep motivated. And they are pretty fun to work on.

35657994772_8792cf81e4_c.jpg

35657996132_64b03d6bfb_c.jpg

Center Display Cabinet

Figuring out where to start with this project is difficult . . . actually it can be a bit overwhelming. So I decided the first large piece I would start with would be the Center Display Cabinet.

Day 1 Progress:

35897095736_f6fec0e087_c.jpg

35549704550_e3d2c05354_c.jpg

Man those are some nice panels! Exceptionally well done! Are those vacuum tubes on the right hand side? What materials are the cabinets and frames made out of? MDF?

Hey Marvin, thanks for looking. If I am referring to the correct parts you are asking about, the top three pieces are actually three different sized lenses from an old microscope. The material for the panel is MDF that was laser cut by SofaKing01. I modified the base of both of those laser cuts and gave them a bit more depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Smugglers Room - My Re-Imagined &amp; Definitive Rebuild . . .

I love everything about this build! Subscribed for sure! Both your renders and SofaKing's sketches at the start of the thread are superb, and if they are anything to go by, I think we're all in for a treat with this build.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: as for the name of your ship, I love The Jason's suggestion on the first page, The Scoundrel's Luck.

Re: The Smugglers Room - My Re-Imagined &amp; Definitive Rebuild . . .

I love everything about this build! Subscribed for sure! Both your renders and SofaKing's sketches at the start of the thread are superb, and if they are anything to go by, I think we're all in for a treat with this build.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: as for the name of your ship, I love The Jason's suggestion on the first page, The Scoundrel's Luck.

Thank you very much! This is going to w a great project. And at least at this stage I am very excited! Lol

That name is certainly one I am considering.

WHOA! Is that 3/4" MDF? That console isn't going anywhere when finished! ;) I can't believe you already knocked out the basic form.

We want more!

Yeah bro 3/4 was a gutsy choice, but there are a few factors I am considering; I want parts of this to be veryridged, so it's only 3/4 for the base and parts of the inner structure of the cap, and secondly Home Depot was out of 1/2 and sold me two sheets of 3/4 for the price of 1/2 so what the heck. Now I just need all of you to come over and help me move it when it's done! LOL

I'll get back to work very soon, it's been a long week of travel for work so I need to put in some face time with the wife first. We have to make sure they are happy so we can keep playing in the shop right? :)

Looks great so far of only a few greeblies and the main case. I hope to one day build something similar, or at least a theater room with my props. Maybe it's just me, but after seeing this, a prop room just isn't enough.

Keep up the great work.

Subscribed and following. Those 3d renderings look amazing. I'm super keen to see the finished product.

Too bad my wife won't let me turn the garage into a man cave else I'd be doing something similar haha

Looks great so far of only a few greeblies and the main case. I hope to one day build something similar, or at least a theater room with my props. Maybe it's just me, but after seeing this, a prop room just isn't enough.

Keep up the great work.

thank you, I agree the room with props just wasnt enough for me, I want a prop displayed in a prop! Lol

Subscribed and following. Those 3d renderings look amazing. I'm super keen to see the finished product.

Too bad my wife won't let me turn the garage into a man cave else I'd be doing something similar haha

thanks BalserAsir, I begged my wife, pleaded my case, and she finally caved . . . But believe me, there were plenty of stipulations and a very very long "honey-do-list!"

I agree the room with props just wasnt enough for me, I want a prop displayed in a prop!

But take care the room gets not to dark. I have the same problem with my starship bridge themed cinema, is it bright enough to see all the details, it distracts from the movies (the darker the room the better). Is it that dark as it should be, all the work was nearly useless cause it can´t really be seen.
I often get asked why i don´t display any props in it, but that would be ...... way to dark.

Still love it, but could have saved myself a lot of work.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back